Ginger Baker Reacts to Passing of Jack Bruce

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Legendary drummer Ginger Baker pays tribute to 'one-off' Jack Bruce
By Western Morning News *|* Posted: October 26, 2014
Author Start
By Alex Diaz

7363294-large.jpg

Speaking from a hotel in the Republic of Ireland, Baker, 75, said: “We go back a long way, I called him Wee Jack. It’s a big loss to the world and I’m very sad.

“I found out yesterday when my daughter phoned me and my first reaction was that it was a hoax because I have been reported dead so many times myself, but then it became reality.

“It was quite a while since I last spoke to him but he was a one-off, his approach to music made him special.

“My feeling is with his wife Margrit and his kids.”

Full story

Scott K Fish: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Thank you for sharing the article and waving the flag on Mr. Jack Bruce´s death. He was a true fantastic musician... Rest In Peace.

Considering how many time Ginger slammed Jack in interviews over the years, I was surprised Ginger had anything nice to say.

So was I, the arguments they had during the Cream years were legendary. Just shows, even the grumpiest old g*t realises that life is too short and the music they made is far more important than scoring points.

They were a great rhythm section and they must have got on when the band first started. Nice of Ginger to bury the hatchet, means even more coming from a, how shall I say, difficult guy like him.

Ginger is a human, like everybody else has a heart in there....somewhere...and it finally came out. I was pleased to hear what he said. Our mortality always levels the playing field for everybody.
Great rhythm section and if you read Ginger's or Jack's autobio, they pretty much NEVER got along, even while forming Cream, but playing together transcended their differences.

Considering how many time Ginger slammed Jack in interviews over the years, I was surprised Ginger had anything nice to say.

Agreed. I'm just picking myself up off the floor as we speak. They've been sniping at each other forever. It is nice to see a more mellow reflection from Ginger.

they pretty much NEVER got along,

Yep. Their fights have become the stuff of legend. I think there might have been a 15 minute period during their tenure with Alexis Korner where they were amicable. But the animosity had well and truly set in by the time they branched out into the Graham Bond Organization. It's amazing Cream were able to function at all by all accounts.

True. Very well said, the power of music goes beyond humane differences...

I'm relieved. I was expecting another faux pas followed by yet another anti Ginger session. Obviously, despite their differences there was also great respect.

I have no problem with artists talking trash to journalists - it doesn't necessarily follow that they are like that with others. I saw an interview with James Brown where people were saying he's crazy because he kept replying to intrusive personal questions by smiling and singing his song lyrics as though he was on another planet - but he answered all questions about his music and tour dates lucidly enough.

This was the reaction I was waiting for. Somebody on Reddit made the cheeky comment as soon as the news broke that Baker would be complaining that Bruce died too loudly. Gave me a chuckle in my midst of sadness (for what its worth, I am a huge Cream/Jack Bruce fan and was devastated from his passing. Still getting over it).

My thoughts exactly.

I wonder if that quote really came from Ginger, or his people.

I don't know if Baker really has "people" so to speak. He's working because his financial situation is reportedly dire.

As for snipping and ripping on each other, it might have been grouchy good fun. I sort of got that impression especially after viewing the Chad Smith follow up interviews to the Beware Mr. Baker documentary.

I didn't get that from it at all.

I thought Ginger's comments, all things considered, were quite respectful and thoughtful. Understandably, his reputation and past relationship with Jack may influence how we interpret what Ginger said, but IMHO Ginger really took the high road here.

I agree. Ginger's words about Jack Bruce come across to my ears as heartfelt and sad. I suspect some of the reasons for acrimony turn to mist when you're friend is gone for good.

skf

Of course, he's got a heart, its just been obscured all these years.

He's also got 2 bass drums, forever. Is his main bass drum a 20 inch? Was it always so?

Of course, he's got a heart, its just been obscured all these years.

He's also got 2 bass drums, forever. Is his main bass drum a 20 inch? Was it always so?

Yeah.Most of the time,Baker played a 20 on his right and a 22 on he left.

Steve B

Back