Ginger Baker in Bad Shape

trickg

Silver Member
He's 80, and he lived one heck of a life. He's done it all, to include a trek across the Sahara Desert. Even if he passes away soon, most people should be so lucky to have lived a life so full. I don't see it as sad at all - he had a heck of a run.

I lost an old friend of mine a week or so ago, and he was only 79. This was the guy who ran a music store a couple of towns away - really the only music store anywhere close to my hometown. He sold us the Yamaha trumpet that I got in 8th grade, which was the instrument I was playing when I started to really excel with it, and he sold my Dad a couple of guitars. He was a fair trumpet player too. Super nice guy, had a nice family - a full life well lived, even if it wasn't on the scale of Ginger Baker.

For those who haven't seen it, make a point to see the documentary film "Beware of Mr. Baker." It's worth seeing, and it paints a pretty fair picture of who the man is and what he did for music.

He's 80, and he lived one heck of a life. He's done it all, to include a trek across the Sahara Desert. Even if he passes away soon, most people should be so lucky to have lived a life so full. I don't see it as sad at all - he had a heck of a run.

I lost an old friend of mine a week or so ago, and he was only 79. This was the guy who ran a music store a couple of towns away - really the only music store anywhere close to my hometown. He sold us the Yamaha trumpet that I got in 8th grade, which was the instrument I was playing when I started to really excel with it, and he sold my Dad a couple of guitars. He was a fair trumpet player too. Super nice guy, had a nice family - a full life well lived, even if it wasn't on the scale of Ginger Baker.

For those who haven't seen it, make a point to see the documentary film "Beware of Mr. Baker." It's worth seeing, and it paints a pretty fair picture of who the man is and what he did for music.
A life well lived indeed. Ginger is quite a character, and "Beware Mr. Baker " really captures his unique persona. The young fellow who did the documentary sure was brave. Condolences on the loss of your friend. Your story reminds me very much about a friend of mine who sold me my first pro set of Pearl drums. He was more than a music store owner, he became a friend and advisor.

Darth Vater

He was a massive influence on young drummers, like myself, in the 60's. Fly high Peter. May you rest in peace.

Juniper

Gold Member
Re-listened to some of his albums earlier as a mark of respect.

What a player

Rest easy Ginger.

Natewest

Ginger Baker, He was probably my biggest playing influence when i started playing. Other drummers influenced me to start but his playing connected with me the most once i started.