Gigging on an Imperialstar?

HeavyDrums

My first post here, so pardon my ignorance regarding drums. I just purchased a beginner kit for my son and I to learn on, Tama Imperialstar. My concern is gigging with it. If I put on some quality heads will it sound ok, or should I consider getting an intermediate kit later on for gigging? I just put Remo Silent Stroke heads on it, so I can't really tell what the shells sound like.

A quick second question, what's the quality/build difference between the Imperialstar and the Swingstar? I have an opportunity to purchase a Swingstar kit relatively cheap, and I prefer the tom sizes on the Swingstar.

Thanks for any help.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I think what you have would be terrific for your son to learn on and get some gigs with it. Get some quality heads, and maybe get a local drummer to come over and help set them up if needs be.

As far as the Swingstar, this would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade. Both the Swingstar and the Imperialstar are both have poplar shells, so if I had to guess, the only "upgrade" would be possibly finish options and hardware (but I'm no Tama expert). Before it comes time to upgrade, your son needs some time behind the kit in order to articulate its strengths and weaknesses. He needs to figure out what his drum set doesn't do and what kits do what he wants. Don't buy just to buy. Buy with intent.

At this point, if you all are itching to spend some money, here's what I'd do..in this order:

1. Look to upgrade the cymbals if you are playing with cheap cymbals the drum set came with. You can always change the sound of drums with different heads, tuning, etc. A bad cymbal will always sound bad.

2. Upgrade the snare drum. You will be amazed at how well a kit can sound with a decent snare and nice cymbals and good heads on the toms and kick.

Just my $.02. :)

KamaK

Platinum Member
My niece had an Imp that I had a few opportunities to tool around on. I imagine it would be fine for gigging.

My two hangups about the kit were the plastic BD hoops (which were admittedly functional) and the inability to mount the rack toms in a comfortable position using the supplied hardware. I imagine that the tom-mounting issue may have been resolved in the past half-decade.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
My niece had an Imp that I had a few opportunities to tool around on. I imagine it would be fine for gigging.

My two hangups about the kit were the plastic BD hoops (which were admittedly functional) and the inability to mount the rack toms in a comfortable position using the supplied hardware. I imagine that the tom-mounting issue may have been resolved in the past half-decade.

I've been hanging toms off of cymbal stand and snare baskets for many years now.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I just purchased a beginner kit for my son and I to learn on, Tama Imperialstar.

or should I consider getting an intermediate kit later on for gigging?

I think a Tama Imperialstar is an intermediate level kit. Good heads (you might look at Remo pinstripes, EMAD 2 for the bass drum) and good cymbals can help a lot. You also have to play well. Good drum heads don't really make mistakes sound better.

HeavyDrums

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had some store credit burning a hole in my pocket. I used it to pick up two Ks.

As far as gigging goes, I am putting the cart before the horse. Just want to have a kit he won't outgrow in a year.

Thanks again!