Gig this Saturday by the beach!

M

Matt Bo Eder

Got a gig this Saturday subbing for Bermuda down by the beach. If anyone in the SoCal area is interested in some good food and sounds, you're all welcomed!

A new kit may be debuted that day, we'll see ;)

Attachments

• ZeroG_web.jpg
    ZeroG_web.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 409
Man, that sounds like fun.

If I weren't a couple thousand miles away, I'd be there.

(what's the new kit? - first guess is in - pdp with wood hoops)

More new drums- do tell!

Well, it's not really that big a deal, and no, it's not the new PDP wood-hoopers.

I think a year ago or so, I was itching for a traditional sparkle kit. My very first drumset was a beat-up old Slingerland in gold sparkle that my parents got me for $50 from an uncle, and of course, being under 10, I didn't see the intrinsic value in those drums, so I never took care of them and wanted to get new shiny drums as soon as I could (which didn't happen for the next five years). I had been looking for red sparkle, but would've settled for either blue or green too. Champagne I'm not to keen on, and black sparkle just looks black, and I already had gold sparkle.

I managed to find a blue sparkle 1970s Ludwig 13/16/22 kit on eBay last week and bought them. The seller says the drums are in excellent shape, no issues at all, so I should see those tomorrow (Friday) from UPS.

I thought I'd get a 14x22 blue/olive oyster bass drum to go with my current kit that has a 14x24, but when I inquired how much an a la carte bass drum would cost new, a 14x22 is just over $800 these days! So I started looking for used, and hopefully I found a good one. I'll know tomorrow.

New heads are waiting for it, so I'm fairly excited. I wanted the slightly smaller bass drum, and this will be a good gigging kit. From the photos, it looks identical to my new classic maples I have now. Although it has the older bass drum hoop claws, and actual T-handles. I think I'm stuck in the 70s.

Good idea getting some more Ludwigs. At least you can get a decent price for the used ones.

I just committed myself to a jam Saturday afternoon at 4pm in Fullerton. Don't know how long it's going to last. I could probably catch the last hour of your gig.

Good idea getting some more Ludwigs. At least you can get a decent price for the used ones.

I just committed myself to a jam Saturday afternoon at 4pm in Fullerton. Don't know how long it's going to last. I could probably catch the last hour of your gig.

No worries if you're busy. I thought it might be nice to meet some fellow DW-er's in the area. We are sorta' rushed to get off the stage after we're done at 8. Apparently, they have another band that starts up at 9.

So the gig tonight was relatively pain-free and a lot of fun. The band in the 9pm slot after us was a Black Sabbath tribute band called "Blackr Sabbath", and I was joking about doing a few Black Sabbath tunes the last half hour of our last set ;)

The blue sparkle Luddies held up well and according to people in the audience, they sounded awesome. I noted people close the bandstand weren't wincing whenever I played louder so I think the lower tunings helped. Midnight Zephyr came by and we got to chat a bit afterwards and he said the drums sounded great - I'm convinced blending is the way to go ;)

The only problems that made their presence known on this 40-year-old kit is the fatigued floor tom leg brackets. Every now and then a leg would slip and I'd have to re-tighten if I had the time, or just not use the drum if it happened mid-song.

So I decided to replace all the floor tom brackets, and got an extra one for the rack tom. So those will all be new. Cool news is Amazon had them for $13 each. $52 for all four, no tax and no shipping - can't go wrong with that!

I may have to change the T-rods out for regular ol' tension rods on the bass drum. I like the look of the T-handles, but I don't like dealing with them. My life has become so much easier for head changes when I got those Evans drum key bits for my cordless screwdriver. To have to go back to doing that by hand on the bass drum...I dunno. The jury is still out on that.

So if anyone wants to trade me straight tension rods for 16 Ludwig T-handles, let me know!

I may have to change the T-rods out for regular ol' tension rods on the bass drum. I like the look of the T-handles, but I don't like dealing with them. My life has become so much easier for head changes when I got those Evans drum key bits for my cordless screwdriver. To have to go back to doing that by hand on the bass drum...I dunno. The jury is still out on that.
I'm not a fan of T handles - never have been, but that's got nothing to do with head changes. Really Bo, if head changes are the only consideration, how often is that an issue? Once every few months at worst?

& before anyone else says it - yes, I'm aware a few months is beyond a full Bo kit life cycle ;)

I'm not a fan of T handles - never have been, but that's got nothing to do with head changes. Really Bo, if head changes are the only consideration, how often is that an issue? Once every few months at worst?

& before anyone else says it - yes, I'm aware a few months is beyond a full Bo kit life cycle ;)

Not just that. I don't like how my clothes get snagged on them when I walk by ;)

Hey, it was great to meet you, Bo. I really liked your blue sparkle Luddy kit! The band sounded great. I just wish I could have caught more of your set. Cheers!

Back