Gig journey dangers

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I was fascinated - and honestly appreciative - of how they didn't plow over all of the countryside to make everything a 6 lane mega highway
This area is highly protected from development of almost any kind, plus the population is sparse to say the least (in the context of a fairly densely populated island)
At first I thought you were on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:
Understandable - the other guy certainly was!

Doraemon

Specifically, not doing what many would do, & that’s hit the brakes hard then wonder why they can’t steer out of a situation. There’s several uncontrollable elements at play, mostly the actions of others, & definitely not relying on their ability to stop quickly. I made my trajectory obvious to others at the earliest opportunity.

These things should be taught when people are getting a licence, but the requirements in the US are very very low.
Some carmakers like BMW have regular events where they let you drive on a little track in different cities and give a presentation explaining things like this and that you're gonna go where you look, so don't stare at the concrete wall. Some do short paid courses that can be useful on top of being fun.

Another thing we like watching these "bad drivers" dashcam compilation videos on youtube for fun (I know, it's weird, but interesting to try guessing the events), and while it can make you a little paranoid - watching the mirror at every red light to see if they will break or slam into you -, it is very educational to see some very common patterns and learn how to recognize them early on, and keep your options open.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
These things should be taught when people are getting a licence, but the requirements in the US are very very low.
Some carmakers like BMW have regular events where they let you drive on a little track in different cities and give a presentation explaining things like this and that you're gonna go where you look, so don't stare at the concrete wall. Some do short paid courses that can be useful on top of being fun.

Another thing we like watching these "bad drivers" dashcam compilation videos on youtube for fun (I know, it's weird, but interesting to try guessing the events), and while it can make you a little paranoid - watching the mirror at every red light to see if they will break or slam into you -, it is very educational to see some very common patterns and learn how to recognize them early on, and keep your options open.

I also watch those videos just to build awareness of what to watch for out on the road....they definitely piss me off though, in that it reminds me of how selfishly unaware a lot of first world people are

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
You just have to watch a single short episode of 'Just Rolled In' on YouTube to see how little people care about the maintenance and upkeep of their vehicles - particularly in the US. If they're not interested in keeping the vehicle safe for their own families then I'm not surprised about the total lack of care when people are driving.

I will say though that the idea that we remove safety devices from cars to scare people into driving them better is a fallacy and I'm very grateful that cars are on the whole much safer than than they were a number of years ago because you're not going to change anybody's driving style.

Andy - I'm glad you're all safe over there. I know you're a confident and safe driver and know what you're doing but it's a reminder to all of us that we might be involved in an incident through no fault of our own and to drive appropriately as a result.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
The highway here is like a NASCAR event. I avoid it at all costs. Three lanes either side of speeding, tailgating, no signals, and passing in all lanes.

Merging on the highway is a big problem too. No one enters at speed, people on the highway slow to let them in, it's a nightmare.

Mr Farkle

Excellent defensive driving. Way to not panic!!

My son-in-law is a firefighter and EMT. He talks to my daughter about not panicking while driving. He sees a lot of rollover accidents that come from people overreacting to a situation. A lot are from people trying to not hit an animal crossing the road. Just hit it, he tells her. (Of course this DOES NOT apply to a car in your lane!)

picodon

Silver Member
You just have to watch a single short episode of 'Just Rolled In' on YouTube to see how little people care about the maintenance and upkeep of their vehicles - particularly in the US. If they're not interested in keeping the vehicle safe for their own families then I'm not surprised about the total lack of care when people are driving.

I will say though that the idea that we remove safety devices from cars to scare people into driving them better is a fallacy and I'm very grateful that cars are on the whole much safer than than they were a number of years ago because you're not going to change anybody's driving style.

Andy - I'm glad you're all safe over there. I know you're a confident and safe driver and know what you're doing but it's a reminder to all of us that we might be involved in an incident through no fault of our own and to drive appropriately as a result.
Take the insurance system away. I was in Vietnam many years ago -- they may have insurance now but back then your family (if you had any 😒) played that role and people drove dead slow and carefully. You don't want to be that guy...

Not that people care about their family in the west though......

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
You just have to watch a single short episode of 'Just Rolled In' on YouTube to see how little people care about the maintenance and upkeep of their vehicles - particularly in the US.
Remember the housing thread? Fixing the car is way low on the list of things people cant afford. I dont think most people know how to change their own oil either, let alone the rest of the maintenance. And even if they do, why would they waste a weekend for that when there is sports on tv and beer on the fridge. Oh yeah, everyone has beer $$$ somehow. No car insurance, but beer $$$.

I keep up with maintenance as best I can. We have 2 Hyundai's so it isnt all that taxing. They are pretty easy to work on.

GretschedHive

Gold Member
Since I started watching those a few years back, I always wait at least a second when a light turns green before proceeding into the intersection.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I see some interesting driving on my travels I'm not going to lie. Touch wood nothing as bad as this. Count yourself lucky you could get out of the way.

It's mad when a close call happens, you don't have time to get angry!

1 hit wonder

I got called to be host drummer starting on a Monday setting up at 7 pm.
Around 5:10 pm I was in a violent interstate car wreck which totaled my vehicle with drum stuff in it. Front and all side air bag deployments. One vehicle overturned in the center lane.
I made the gig because it was 1 exit from my house and I was totally amped. But I barely was able to finish. I still have shoulder and blade issues with nerve tingling in my lower arm 10 months later.

Attachments

• 20220313_135652.jpg
    20220313_135652.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 13

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I got called to be host drummer starting on a Monday setting up at 7 pm.
Around 5:10 pm I was in a violent interstate car wreck which totaled my vehicle with drum stuff in it. Front and all side air bag deployments. One vehicle overturned in the center lane.
I made the gig because it was 1 exit from my house and I was totally amped. But I barely was able to finish. I still have shoulder and blade issues with nerve tingling in my lower arm 10 months later.

THAT is dedication to the gig....old school!!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Or north Toledo (south Detroit) or Detroit

yeah...my wife is from Trenton MI, and step daughter lives near Oregon...I am in or through Toledo a lot. There is no speed limit once you are north of the Islamic Center on 75 all the way to Canada!!!

TJK

Y
yeah...my wife is from Trenton MI, and step daughter lives near Oregon...I am in or through Toledo a lot. There is no speed limit once you are north of the Islamic Center on 75 all the way to Canada!!!
Yeah, don’t get me started on those drivers from the state up north…my family’s interbred between both states. I remember as a kid in the 70’s riding in my uncles Buick Electra on vacation in Kalamazoo and it had an alarm you could set on the speedometer to warn you if you were speeding. I was probably like 7 and I looked at the speedometer and the alarm was set at 90. I was like uncle Chuck why wouldn’t you set it for 55 like the speed limit? Chuck and aunt Francis about died laughing lol

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Y

Yeah, don’t get me started on those drivers from the state up north…my family’s interbred between both states. I remember as a kid in the 70’s riding in my uncles Buick Electra on vacation in Kalamazoo and it had an alarm you could set on the speedometer to warn you if you were speeding. I was probably like 7 and I looked at the speedometer and the alarm was set at 90. I was like uncle Chuck why wouldn’t you set it for 55 like the speed limit? Chuck and aunt Francis about died laughing lol

it seems like it is worse around Detroit. like, when I get north of Saginaw things chill out a little bit

Connecticut is the scariest state I have ever driven in though. I would be on I-95 headed to Providence RI, doing 80, and people would fly by me, in the left shoulder, at like 100. Usually in Mercedes or BMW's, or on crotch rocket bikes.....