Gig journey dangers

iCe

Silver Member
Never ceases to amaze me when people want to overtake when there is a corner coming up with bad to no visibility. Thankfully you got away with only a scare!

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
That shit has happened to me twice in the past month. The first time the passing vehicle was coming at me, like the video, and the second time I was being passed. Both times ended up with me hard on the brakes and in the shoulder, same with the other non-passing vehicle.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I'm a pretty even keel person , except with road rage from crap like this. I'm glad you and your lovely spouse are OK. Quick reflexes my friend. Many people are so impatient, rude, aggressive and just insane drivers now. I have a plan to eliminate this plaque from the gene pool-no that's just the road rage talking LOL, but sure seems they are trying to eliminate me (I drive a big red truck and I've been run off road three times last couple of years)..

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'm a pretty even keel person , except with road rage from crap like this. I'm glad you and your lovely spouse are OK.

agreed!!!

Quick reflexes my friend. Many people are so impatient, rude, aggressive and just insane drivers now. I have a plan to eliminate this plaque from the gene pool-no that's just the road rage talking LOL, but sure seems they are trying to eliminate me (I drive a big red truck and I've been run off road three times last couple of years)..

same here. It is a big reason I don't own a gun/keep one on the car..... I KNOW I would fire at people driving like idiots without hesitation. Recently here in C-bus, we are having more and more people just completely ignore trafic laws.e.specially U-turns, which are illegal.. Those people would DEFINITELY be sporting bullet holes in their car if I had a gun...

luckily, I do 99% of my driving in off traffic time, so generally don't have to deal with lots of people on the road; which makes it real hard for me to be patient when I do have to deal with traffic

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member

Jeremy Crockett

Some of you may remember I fell asleep at the wheel returning in the small hours from Stonehenge Festival.

Well, that was a close call, but this was potentially much worse. Fully loaded en route to a festival, but this time, with my most precious possession on board.

Good job keeping cool. I've spent more or less the past 8 years behind the wheel between 8 and 10 hours a day and to see you not over-steer or over-brake gives me a bit of hope. Glad you and yours are OK.

Daily life in Florida, birthplace of the entitled lousy driver.

I thought California drivers were bad, Florida beats 'em like government mules.

iCe

Silver Member
I lost 2 good friends to someone who pulled that shit. I just don't understand how saving yourself a couple of minutes is worth risking lives. :mad:
Glad to see/hear you came out unscathed.

My mother had something similar and got a few scratches on the car, she was fine, but i was in tears after hearing how close it was. Turned out an elderly chap who was very nonchalant about it, but he's on record now. Can't understand either why people take these risks.... sorry for your loss!

Maybe not appropriate to post this, but i had a good laugh about your username, really original :)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Some of you may remember I fell asleep at the wheel returning in the small hours from Stonehenge Festival.

Well, that was a close call, but this was potentially much worse. Fully loaded en route to a festival, but this time, with my most precious possession on board.

man....the roads over there also give you no place to go in a situation like that. We honeymooned in Ireland, and I drove us around for 10 days. We diid not have anything like that happen, but there were quite a few times where I did not think that I was going to get past many of the lorries coming at us..

picodon

Silver Member
Makes you feel like making a U-turn, drag the other dude out of his car and poke his eyes out of their sockets.

Not that they drive any better after you did that 😒

It happens to me about every week here in southern France, as recently as 10 mins ago. That was an ambulance, they support their own business.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the well wishes & stories - obviously not a unique situation travelling to & from gigs!

Quick reflexes my friend.
Way to not lose your cool Andy
Good job keeping cool, and to see you not over-steer or over-brake gives me a bit of hope.
Way back in the day, I had a full competition licence, so I know how to throw a car around, & assess situations quickly without panicking. I don’t throw cars around anymore, but I do call upon those skills in times like these. Specifically, not doing what many would do, & that’s hit the brakes hard then wonder why they can’t steer out of a situation. There’s several uncontrollable elements at play, mostly the actions of others, & definitely not relying on their ability to stop quickly. I made my trajectory obvious to others at the earliest opportunity.

I knew I’d need to take the car onto the grass, so I scrubbed off speed quickly (just under 60mph to 40mph) but not so harsh as to change vehicle orientation. Just prior to putting the vehicle onto the grass, I went from braking to very mild acceleration. This is because my vehicle is permanent 4 wheel drive, & slight drive to all 4 wheels maintains directional stability on very different surfaces, both organically, but also through the stability controls. Vehicle capability / reactions is a factor that should sit at the back of every drivers mind to aid instant decision making.

man....the roads over there also give you no place to go in a situation like that.
In my specific part of the world, that road in the video is a freeway! Many roads here are single track with occasional passing places.
I lost 2 good friends to someone who pulled that shit.
I’m very sorry to hear that.

In this incident, an impact would have had severe consequences, especially for the other car due to it’s compact / lightweight disposition.

Last edited:

drumnut87

Silver Member
you wonder if some drivers got their licence from the back of a cereal box............

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
In my specific part of the world, that road in the video is a freeway! Many roads here are single track with occasional passing places.

I was fascinated - and honestly appreciative - of how they didn't plow over all of the countryside to make everything a 6 lane mega highway

In some of the more remote roads in western Ireland we had the same thing..single lane with a passing area

Tony_H

You handled your car and the situation like an seasoned stunt driver! I'm glad you and the wife came out with nothing more than some anxiety mixed in with a moment of panic.

Our back roads are really quiet around here, so I'll get an occasional lost tourist in "the country" driving below the posted speed limit, but it's usually the four-legged dangers that I try to watch out for.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
you wonder if some drivers got their licence from the back of a cereal box............

I know that where I live, probably 60% of the drivers don't even have licenses....you can tell b/c they have NO CLUE about even simple driving knowledge..you can also tell by the condition their cars are in...

AzHeat

Platinum Member
No shortage of idiots in the world, that’s for sure. There are accidents from mistakes and then those blatant idiots. Glad you’re fine Andy.

Yup t wasn’t too long ago we had a punk in a lowered truck decide he needed to take the exit from the 7th lane. I barely missed him but lost control across three lanes before I regained control. I looked up and he was flipping us off.

Some people are just F*d in the head. No two ways about it.