Gift for my Band Director

Emmaticus00

So, hey guys. Christmas is coming up, and me and my fellow percussionists have decided we are going to give gifts to our band director. One kid chose a chimes mallet, because of a hilarious yet dangerous incident. Another girl chose a bass drum beater because ours is nicknamed the "toothpick". I am his favorite percussionist, and want to give something that the other grades will use and hold up to idiot newbies. I was thinking a brick of 5B's or 2B'S because they're thick and hold up to heavy hitters.

And I'm in the Stick Club at Guitar Center.

And our drumsticks do need some upgrading. They've looked like they went through the war and back; they're mismatched and crap.

So any suggestions under $50? Like mallets for marimba or glocks or anything?

PS: the chimes incident has happened a few times. One of our glass mallets have chips and chunks out of it. I played few accents combined with fortissmisso and chips went flying. Included with the actual mallet. About 6 inches away from a snare drummer's head. So today, our resident timpanist was playing, when this kid was playing loud accents when the entire glass mallet head goes flying past the timpani dude's head. Its so funny, yet so mean to laugh when it could have given him a concussion.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
...or glocks...
Ooh, ooh, Glocks are nice!!! The gift that keeps on firing!!!

Seriously, the brick of sticks is a good idea. Long time ago when I was in high school our band room was so devoid of anything quality drum wise that a brick of sticks would have been a small miracle.

kyle

Wait, your band has percussion use band drumsticks? When I was in HS we were expected to buy our own.

Also you guys make want to look at how you're hitting the chimes if you're sending chunks of the mallet flying.

Emmaticus00

Well, the sticks we have are only sticks that lost their brother, or they're sticks whose owner graduated/lost them. But those are usually back up sticks and most percussionists have their own, except for those with financial aid.

The only parts we play chimes on are usually fortissimo with heavy accents, and the glass head was originally stuck on the wood, but over the years it slipped off. That why it flies.

Otto

Platinum Member
A Middle School Music Teacher?

...I say a 5th of Jack

Joking aside...consider finding a video recorder and get footage interviewing other students about how he has effected their lives.

Inexpensive...and worth more than all the drum sticks in the world to someone dedicated enough to teach in that environment.

I suggest doing a test interview to get the sound recording needs right...cause you want it easy to hear.

...maybe get it ported over to a DVD?...or if your school has a PC that can record to DVD that might be a great solution.

TWerner

A Middle School Music Teacher?

...I say a 5th of Jack

Joking aside...consider finding a video recorder and get footage interviewing other students about how he has effected their lives.

Inexpensive...and worth more than all the drum sticks in the world to someone dedicated enough to teach in that environment.

I suggest doing a test interview to get the sound recording needs right...cause you want it easy to hear.

...maybe get it ported over to a DVD?...or if your school has a PC that can record to DVD that might be a great solution.
+1
May let my kids borrow that idea

Zickos

Gold Member
Let me get this straight. You are wanting to buy your band director a gift that will be something for you to use? How admirable.

Emmaticus00

Yes, because I am getting a gift that I will use along with another 25 percussionists
I am getting him these because lately people can't participate at all or correctly because they don't have the right materials. Every band director wants everyone to participate. My fellow percussionists are getting these kinds of gifts because he keeps having to fix old materials. So why spend time on fixing when you can get a new sturdy one?

I'm not being "admirable" in your opinion, so what if? You're one person. I'm thinking ahead so we can focus more on band and less in the workshop.

TWerner

Let me get this straight. You are wanting to buy your band director a gift that will be something for you to use? How admirable.
Seems to me that she is getting a gift that shows support for something the band director feels passionate about. Making that contribution is supportive and expresses appreciation. It would be easier for her to simply bring her own stick to use, but that isn't what she plans to do.
You might want to check your holiday spirit meter there if you can only view this gift idea as self serving.

Eric1

So today, our resident timpanist was playing, when this kid was playing loud accents when the entire glass mallet head goes flying past the timpani dude's head.
As your "resident timpanist" I do really think we need another chimes mallet. That is going to hurt someone someday.

Also, I laugh now because no one ever bought any gifts for our director.