Gibraltar side rack question?

kissarmyfreak

Ok I have a Gibraltar Curved rack on the front of my kit. I'm considering putting some sides on it. BUT I'm not sure what sides I want. For the Right side I'm interested in adding a curved side extention. That way it's stable enough for serveral larger cymbals. & the Left side I'm really not sure of I was wondering if anyof y'all had any reviews on the curved wing extention? I'm only looking to put maybe 1 16" cymbal & a couple splashes. So if ya have any thoughts about this I'd love to hear em before I dish out the funds. Here are pics of what I have in mind.

Thanks

Attachments

• side extention.jpg
    side extention.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 174
  • side wing.jpg
    side wing.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 175
I too am looking into getting side extensions for my older Pearl rack, my friends have told me that a curved extension is more practical if you put quite a few cymbals on that, and it will be more then stable enough, for the left side you could do the same but I doubt you will need a leg on it as it will only hold a few splashes and a crash?

Hope this helped.

You're on the right track, OP. You need that extra leg if the weight's going to be significant, like heavier cymbals, toms, etc. Otherwise the entire wing could end up slipping or drooping under the weight. But for a 16" crash and a couple of splashes, you'll be okay with a wing.

You're on the right track, OP. You need that extra leg if the weight's going to be significant, like heavier cymbals, toms, etc. Otherwise the entire wing could end up slipping or drooping under the weight. But for a 16" crash and a couple of splashes, you'll be okay with a wing.

You can hang a lot of weight on the side extensions before you really need a leg. I've hung a 14" tom and 3-4 cymbals (18" and larger) on a curved side extension without the leg. It's ok, but in the end, I bought legs for both my side extensions. I do perfer the peace of mind.

You can hang a lot of weight on the side extensions before you really need a leg. I've hung a 14" tom and 3-4 cymbals (18" and larger) on a curved side extension without the leg. It's ok, but in the end, I bought legs for both my side extensions. I do perfer the peace of mind.

Does depend on the clamp, though. If you have a 90-degree clamp such as the one shown above, where each pipe is clamped around its circumference, no issue. If you try it with an older T-style clamp... problems can definitely ensue.

Back