Gibraltar Intruder repair

HolyDiver

I got a Gibraltar Intruder double bass pedal for a little over 75$ because it needs a new set of springs,new beaters and other minor repairs. Sice this is my first double bass pedal I asked a drummer I know,who plays for 15 years,for some advice and he told me that if I want more controll and speed I should get lighter baeters(he gave me little weights and said to screw them near the top of the beater) and that springs aren't really important(but not to buy really cheap ones). I respect him and his advice but I really want more opinions because I really don't want to buy parts and the discover I wasted my money.

Thank you for your help.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Putting weights near the beater will only make it heavier. Get new springs, set them to a tension that feels good for you. Start from there You may want to consider a new driveshaft also depending on how worn out the u-joints are.

Which Intruder pedal is it? Post a pic if you don't know. We can help you with other settings if it has any.

HolyDiver

Putting weights near the beater will only make it heavier. Get new springs, set them to a tension that feels good for you. Start from there You may want to consider a new driveshaft also depending on how worn out the u-joints are.

Which Intruder pedal is it? Post a pic if you don't know. We can help you with other settings if it has any.
Thank you for your reply. The guy who sold it to me said I'm the 4th owner. Can you define worn out,what should I look for? I forgot to ask this in the original post, I noticed there's a place for another spring on the left pedal, should I put another spring there?

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
To check the play in the u-joints, hold the cam on the left pedal so it doesn't move and check the play of the left beater. There shouldn't be any movement ideally, but if it is more than about 1/4" the left pedal will suffer. You can still use it, especially if you are just learning. But the response won't be the same as the right pedal. This becomes an issue at higher speeds.

There is no need for a spring on the left. You can put one there if you want. The spring on the left side of the main pedal is perfectly able to do it's job and return the slave pedal to it's resting point. If you go two kicks, then you for sure want the spring.

I don't think these pedals have any adjustments other than spring tension and position. You can adjust the footboard height/beater angle by moving the little mount the top of the spring hooks on to. There are three holes the mount can screw into. Closer to the head will move the beater forward slightly and lower the footboard a bit. The opposite happens if you put it in the hole farthest from the head.

FWIW, I had the predecessor to this pedal. It was a tank, a good pedal to learn on. This was like 25-26 years ago. The condition of your pedal looks pretty damn good considering how old it is.

HolyDiver

Thank you good sir. I appreciate all your help.

To check the play in the u-joints, hold the cam on the left pedal so it doesn't move and check the play of the left beater. There shouldn't be any movement ideally, but if it is more than about 1/4" the left pedal will suffer. You can still use it, especially if you are just learning. But the response won't be the same as the right pedal. This becomes an issue at higher speeds.
I adjusted the beater height to my playing preferences and then tried what you said. It moves a lot, way over 1/4''.