Gibraltar flat base snare/tom stand

Novusuhu

Hey everyone

All of my hardware is flatbase, in exception of my hi hat stand. My snare/tom stand is an older Drum Workshop 6300 stand.
I use this as a tom stand (14x10), and get tired of the main problem with this stand: the basket tilter is not toothless... I find it important to set my gear exactly as I want it.

I looked at some flat base snare/tom stands, and this 'Gibraltar' got my attention:

Q1:
Can someone tell me what the max. height (with stability in mind) is of this stand? (from the ground to the point where the reso side of the tom/snare would sit)
Sweetwater states it's 34" max. but I want to be sure.

Q2: I've seen that there is no memory lock on the 'upper tube'. Gibraltar sells a lot of different sizes of memory locks... Which one will fit?

Attachments

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I don't have experience with that Gibraltar, but what about the DW Ultralight? I have a couple and they are great. They have a memory lock, gearless tilter, and tall enough to go over a 26". I think it maxes out around 28" iirc.

NouveauCliche

Hey everyone

All of my hardware is flatbase, in exception of my hi hat stand. My snare/tom stand is an older Drum Workshop 6300 stand.
I use this as a tom stand (14x10), and get tired of the main problem with this stand: the basket tilter is not toothless... I find it important to set my gear exactly as I want it.

I looked at some flat base snare/tom stands, and this 'Gibraltar' got my attention:

Q1:
Can someone tell me what the max. height (with stability in mind) is of this stand? (from the ground to the point where the reso side of the tom/snare would sit)
Sweetwater states it's 34" max. but I want to be sure.

Q2: I've seen that there is no memory lock on the 'upper tube'. Gibraltar sells a lot of different sizes of memory locks... Which one will fit?
I felt so useful - I thought I had this exact stand in my studio - but apparently I have a shorter version for a snare.

I think I have this one because mine certainly doesn't reach 34"

Mine is max 24" with a circumference on the top tube of 2" - i've used it for a snare stand and for a tom stand on 12" tom with an 18" kick for a long time and been very, very happy.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Why not just get one to see if it’ll do what you need? Mostly all the online stores allow returns, especially if you buy it through Amazon. If it works, then you’re good. If it doesn’t, you get your money back.

Novusuhu

I don't have experience with that Gibraltar, but what about the DW Ultralight? I have a couple and they are great. They have a memory lock, gearless tilter, and tall enough to go over a 26". I think it maxes out around 28" iirc.
That DW Ultralight snare stand looks interesting, but I wonder if it will hold my 14x10 tom (Ludwig Legacy)...?
I certainly looks nice and 'vintage'. It has a strong resemblance to the old Ludwig 1363 snare stand.

Attachments

Novusuhu

Why not just get one to see if it’ll do what you need? Mostly all the online stores allow returns, especially if you buy it through Amazon. If it works, then you’re good. If it doesn’t, you get your money back.
I'm from Belgium... Will Amazon accept returns without extra costs (shipping + import, ...)?

Novusuhu

There are no online stores in Europe?
Yes there are some online stores here in Europe, but I had some bad experiences when returning products (extra costs etc.). So I'm very careful now, and buy stuff when I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
That DW Ultralight snare stand looks interesting, but I wonder if it will hold my 14x10 tom (Ludwig Legacy)...?
I certainly looks nice and 'vintage'. It has a strong resemblance to the old Ludwig 1363 snare stand.
It absolutely will. I have used a 14x10, 13x9, and a 12x8 (all 60s Ludwigs similar to your Legacy) in them and they are great. They don't choke the tom like some snare stands tend to do.

Novusuhu

It absolutely will. I have used a 14x10, 13x9, and a 12x8 (all 60s Ludwigs similar to your Legacy) in them and they are great. They don't choke the tom like some snare stands tend to do.
Thank you for the confirmation!

I was searching for some pics of drummers using tom stands... I found this picture of the great Ian Paice (Deep Purple, Whitesnake, ...). He was using an 16x10 tom (yes, a diameter of 16"), on a stand that's very similar to the DW UL. (The old one may be less strong...):

Attachments

bongoman

I’ll recommend the Tama Classic tom stand. It has plenty of height, holds 14” no problem, has a toothless tilter, weighs very little, and comes with a memory lock on the top tube.

Novusuhu

OK, I got this list now:

- Gibraltar 8713UA -> Very good adjustability (ball joint), but no memory lock. Can't find the lock in Europe... -> € 87

- Drum Workshop DW6300UL -> Good adjustability (toothless) + memory lock present + thicker basket arms for better stability
+ 'spring adjust basket'. But higher pricing (as always with DW hardware). -> € 108

- TAMA Classic HTS58F -> Good adjustability (toothless, same as DW) + memory lock. Basket arms seem less strong then the DW (not sure).
But much lower pricing (almost half of the DW stand)! -> € 59

I will think about it, and let you guys know what my choice will be.

bongoman

Are you beating this drum very hard? The arms are plenty strong for normal use, but if you’re hitting super hard then you won’t want an ultralight stand anyway.

David Hunter

OK, I got this list now:

- Gibraltar 8713UA -> Very good adjustability (ball joint), but no memory lock. Can't find the lock in Europe... -> € 87

- Drum Workshop DW6300UL -> Good adjustability (toothless) + memory lock present + thicker basket arms for better stability
+ 'spring adjust basket'. But higher pricing (as always with DW hardware). -> € 108

- TAMA Classic HTS58F -> Good adjustability (toothless, same as DW) + memory lock. Basket arms seem less strong then the DW (not sure).
But much lower pricing (almost half of the DW stand)! -> € 59

I will think about it, and let you guys know what my choice will be.
I own all three, and have used each as a tom stand at one time or other.

The heaviest duty (and heaviest in weight) is the 8713UA. The basket is superb for adjustments and toms resonate freely. But, it only barely goes high enough for me. If you have a 24" or larger BD, this could be a problem.

Regarding the DW Ultralight, you won't likely be happy with a 14x10 tom cradled in it. It is very tipsy, largely due to the short leg span of the base. With a heavy drum like that, it will sway quite a bit, and could topple over (happened to me when a drunk girl climbed on stage to dance and naturally fell into my bass drum, which sent the stand and tom to the floor).

The best all-arounder I've found to date is the TAMA Classic tom stand. Plenty of height, solid base, highly adjustable basket and memory lock. In addition, it's almost as lightweight as the DW UL. Great stand at a reasonable price.

Novusuhu

Are you beating this drum very hard? The arms are plenty strong for normal use, but if you’re hitting super hard then you won’t want an ultralight stand anyway.
My sticks are Vic firth AJ3... they are jazz sticks, but I play 'classic rock' with them. I certainly don't regard myself as a 'heavy hitter'. I also never broke a stick in the 16 years I have been playing.

Last edited: