Gibraltar 9706nl no leg snare stand - memory locks don't fit outer tube?

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
I am very disappointed that no memory lock fits the outer tube of this stand. It really should have come with one because it's such an odd size. The description for the item says 1-1/4" Diameter, but guess what? With a micrometer it measures 1-1/8"! Yes, you can clamp it to a rack, but you can't memory lock it on the outer tube. The inner tube is 1", for which memory locks exist in this size, but if you clamp to the inner tube, you lose the ability to make any minor adjustments. Brent, has Gibraltar come out with a memory lock for this? For that matter, has anyone come up with any kind of workaround for this?

I guess I should've asked if anyone knows where to get a memory lock for, or how to make a memory lock fit, a 1-1/8" tube.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tama’s bass drum tom posts from the 80s had a 1 1/8” memory lock; see if you can source one

Otherwise, pipe clamp will have to do

Wouldn't you know it, I have a 70s Tama kit with no memory lock on mine. Had I waited 10 years....

Seriously, thanks for the info. BTW, what do you mean by "pipe clamp"?

I wrote Gibraltar about that very problem a while ago and they said they didn't have one for that size. Not the end of the world, but means you to position it every time you setup and have to think about it, which I rather not have to do.

I wrote Gibraltar about that very problem a while ago and they said they didn't have one for that size. Not the end of the world, but means you to position it every time you setup and have to think about it, which I rather not have to do.
Having no memory lock for the bottom tube kind of defeats the whole purpose of the stand, because the stand is made specifically for use on a rack. And, one of the main reasons to use a rack is to ensure that every piece you mount on it will always be in the exact same position every time you set up your kit.

I've toyed with idea of using a memory lock designed to lock the base of tripod stands, but they don't have the notches that prevent rotation like memory locks for drum rack clamps have.

The best workaround I've come up with after owning this stand for years now is clamping to the upper tube instead. I put a memory lock on the upper tube (can't remember off the top of my head if it's 7/8" or 1"), above the stock upper tube memory lock (the one that prevents the top tube from slipping down into 1-1/8" outer downtube). I fly the rack bar for the snare higher up on the vertical rack bar. While this does the trick by making my snare setup quick, the disadvantages are:

1) If I want to change the position/height of my snare, I have to loosen 4 things - the rack clamp holding the the stand, both the "workaround" memory lock and the stock memory lock, and the downtube clamp. Only after doing that can I make an adjustment, and then I have to tighten them all up again. If I was able to clamp to the downtube, I would only need loosen the stock memory lock wingnut and the downtube clamp like the stand was designed to make adjustments.

2) If I want to run a deep snare, because the "workaround" memory lock is now on the upper tube, it limits how low I can slide the top tube down.

3) There's no way, mid-performance, that I can quickly swap out snares if I wanted to, if the snares are of different depths.

4) Having the snare rack bar have to be positioned up higher on the vertical upright means the rack bar is now above the crossbar of my double-pedal. So, I have to feel around under the rack bar if I want to make any adjustments to my pedal that require removal of the pedal crossbar.

I was kind of hoping that enough people like you contacted them over the years and they might have come out with one, but I guess that's not the case. Bummer, because other than that issue, it's a darned nice stand.

Do you have a workaround of your own that you're using?

Last edited:
Do you have a workaround of your own that you're using?
I haven't come up with a workaround for it, just been dealing with it. I'm fortunate that I have a deep snare so I bottom out the stand, so don't need the memory lock for height memory, just side to side position.

I haven't come up with a workaround for it, just been dealing with it. I'm fortunate that I have a deep snare so I bottom out the stand, so don't need the memory lock for height memory, just side to side position.
I'm wondering if we could build up a little notch on the Pearl DC582 with something. Like you, I don't need to prevent rotation, I would simply use the notch as a guide during setup. Do you think JB Weld would hold fast to the chrome?

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/i..._info&cPath=6_0_4_1080_1082&products_id=15721

I've already got a workaround in place that provides both height and swivel protection, but it's on the upper tube, while I would prefer it to be on the lower tube. A hose clamp would only provide height "memory", while swivel protection prevents potential damage to other drums that would occur if the snare were to start rotating around on me. Plus, total "memory" makes setup perfect every time.

0922220744.jpg0922220746.jpg0922220747.jpg

Back