GIANT BEAT VERSATILITY

I finally got to go at this setup in our rehearsal space. I was extremely happy with the sound and feel. 24, 19 and 15" hats. The 24 and 19 worked well together. I put two small strips of gaff tape under the ride, just touching the bell, and it killed just enough of the wash to bring out as much stick as i wanted and still sounded amazing as a crash. All that being said, i was most impressed with the hats. I'd never played giant beat hats before and only traded my Big Beats for them because they were a return at my local shop. Not a single stick mark on them for a great price. They sounded flat out amazing. I had no real expectations, but was blown away. Overall i couldn't be more impressed with the sounds i was getting out of this small setup. Well done Paiste!
Very cool, congrats. (y)

I have the 18" and 20" multis but I'm curious about the 19" multi. I wish they were easier to find in the drum shops in my area. I'd love to demo one.

i was most impressed with the hats.

I'm a hi-hat freak, and I own all the hats that I have ever lusted after, EXCEPT for the Giant Beats. I plan on getting the 14" size, which I prefer. That specific quality those hats have, that woody stick sound and a hissy shimmer has been calling me for years, but I haven't grabbed a pair yet. I'm surprised at myself!
Anyway, what do you personally like about the hats?

Honestly, it was just the balance of them. They had great stick definition when closed, which i'm adamant about. My other hats are Meinl Vintage Pure so i like crisp definition on the hats. They're not as crisp as the Meinl's, not as firm under the stick,
I'm a hi-hat freak, and I own all the hats that I have ever lusted after, EXCEPT for the Giant Beats. I plan on getting the 14" size, which I prefer. That specific quality those hats have, that woody stick sound and a hissy shimmer has been calling me for years, but I haven't grabbed a pair yet. I'm surprised at myself!
Anyway, what do you personally like about the hats?

but i don't think they're supposed to be. The Giant Beats were very controllable depending on how open they are. They don't go right from articulate to washy, there's alot of nuance in between. The 'chick' is somehow soft but still present over some fuzzy and overdriven guitars. They honestly just had a great balance of everything i wanted and perfectly complimented the 24" GB ride. I don't think they do any one thing amazingly well, but they did everything very, very well as far as i'm concerned. Which is why i started the thread questioning the versatility of the GB series since i wanted small a ride/crash/hats setup for a few kinds of music. I'd be completely confident playing something jazzy right up to classic rock.

Back