Getting to be a bit much

Imagine being in the Rolling Stones and playing Satisfaction, Under My Thumb, Sympathy for the Devil, etc. for 55 years! Or the Who playing My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Reilly, etc for 55 years? Granted, I'm sure they pull in lots more money than you, but....You're in the same band 25 years, 180 gigs a year, put your kids through college, ......Lots of us would change places with you any day. You might try playing outside your band with some other folks to offer a change up, but I sure wouldn't give up what you have. Maybe your band should try some new stuff. I've learned in my 69 years that gratitude is essential in life. Think about this. You don't have Covid-19, you're not paralyzed due to motorcycle accident, your kids are apparently healthy, your wife is flexible enough to give you freedom to play in a band for 25 years, you weren't in the twin towers on 9-11....and now you can fill in the rest of the list. Sorry to sound like a soap box know it all, but I think you should put things in perspective my friend.

Corona virus wiped out 3 months worth of gigs so far...and counting, so now I have a bit of an itch to play live again :) Already painted three rooms, planted shrubs. Maybe I won't retire after all :)

I'm only 61, so can't address your concerns, but I can offer my conundrums. 13 years ago, my oncologist said, "If you wake up in the morning, check the bottom of your foot for an expiration date. If you don't find one, *LIVE!*" In the last couple of years, I've been recapitulating my "I need" list against my "I want" list. Seems like I've ticked all the *I need* boxes. I've got my wife of 40 years, 3 great boys and 5 grandkids. I'm not rich, but based on our needs, the money will outlive Mrs Smoke and me. My day job, since 1983, is getting old. It's changing faster than I want to keep up, and best as I can tell, it's not for the better. It seems that my "I want" list is morphing into an "I need" list. The boat is nearing the dock, and I'm ready to jump. The unknown is always scary. If we weren't scared, it would mean we didn't care. (stolen from an Army mentor of mine) I've got a few little things that need attention, but there's a dot on my horizon, and I'm headed toward it. And it's got a calendar date. We'll both be fine! Jump!!

Corona virus wiped out 3 months worth of gigs so far...and counting, so now I have a bit of an itch to play live again :) Already painted three rooms, planted shrubs. Maybe I won't retire after all :)
You go Pete!!!

Back