Getting the Megadeth, Peace Sells But Who's Buying snare sound

Evyatar0231

In case you guys need a reference to the snare sound i'm talking about, here you go:
The snare used on this album was a Ludwig Black Beauty, and i absolutely LOVE the sound it has on this album.
My question is, how does one get a similar sound to that? I know there's reverb and stuff, but even without the effects it sounds great.
What kind of heads do i need for this to sound similar? (talking about the Black Beauty of course).

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Gar Samuelson used Remo heads. In this live video, you can clearly see a white head on the snare, so my guess is coated Ambassador or Emperor.

The tuning of the snare, to me, sounds a bit in the low to medium range. A lack of ring and ear shattering crack bring me to this conclusion.

Evyatar0231

Gar Samuelson used Remo heads. In this live video, you can clearly see a white head on the snare, so my guess is coated Ambassador or Emperor.

The tuning of the snare, to me, sounds a bit in the low to medium range. A lack of ring and ear shattering crack bring me to this conclusion.
Thanks man, you're helping me big time.
I read somewhere he used Remo heads, do you think i'll get a great sound from either of them?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I don't see why not. The Emperor is 2 plys of 7mil film and the Ambassador is 1 ply of 10mil, so the sensitivity will be a bit different between the two.

Being 2 ply, the Emperor should cut down a bit on any overtones, and be a bit easier to control. The 1 ply Ambassador should be a bit more lively and make the snare a bit more articulate. Regardless of batter choice, put a Diplomat on the snare side.

If I had to guess, I would go with the Emperor to get that fat sound. That's just a guess though.

IBitePrettyHard

I hear a lot of "roomy" reverb on that snare, I don't know what the official term is for it. That reverb plays a huge part in the sound you're hearing.

A 14x8" snare is the first place I would look for that deep sound.

Start here...

EDIT:
...and I just now read the rest of OP's post, asking about head choice, lol. I agree with @MrInsanePolack, a 2 ply coated head like an Emperor is good. Maybe even an extra heavy coated head that metal heads use, like a Powerstroke 3 coated or Powerstroke 77.

Last edited:

Evyatar0231

I hear a lot of "roomy" reverb on that snare, I don't know what the official term is for it. That reverb plays a huge part in the sound you're hearing.

A 14x8" snare is the first place I would look for that deep sound.

Start here...
Thanks buddy, checking it as we speak.
By the way, a really great, fat sounding snare i've come across is the TAMA Starphonic Copper. Really beefy when tuned low.