Getting "that" snare sound

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

And to get ”that” particular snare sound accurately recorded is what makes a mix engineer worth the money. I’ve noticed (for years) that if I play like a gorilla and slam hard I don’t get nearly the same sound from the snare drum. Yet, if I play moderately I lose the aggro feel. Somewhere in there is a good mix of the two.

yeah...you can definitely overplay the head and shell...I have definitely experienced this in the past...

and I am NOT a heavy hitter at all even though I cut my teeth playing metal and punk. I always felt like hitting hard was a waste of energy and counterproductive to good sound projection...

moxman

Silver Member
Yes .. you want a drum based on what he said.. he checks all the boxes. For tuning a snare drum.. I find the key thing (apart from all the basics of tuning properly) is getting the drum in 'the goldilocks zone' where the pitch and tone is high enough that give a nice crack to cut through and also has the sensitivity to get nice ghost notes and body without sounding thin or choked or undefined and mushy or too snary sounding Lol...

I'm sure there's a good equivalent...;)
As someone who grew up hearing references to and jokes about Quaaludes, I suddenly realized about 10 years ago that I had no idea just what kind of drug they actually were, so I did a ton of research by skimming the Wikipedia page. And it turns out that, no, in this country at least, there really isn’t an equivalent – – it was discontinued because it was just considered too dangerous. I guess there may be equivalents or knockoffs in other countries, though.

(Also, I find it a bit strange that 35 years after it was discontinued, my iPhone’s voice to text is still able to recognize Quaaludes.)

wraub

My only knowledge of 'ludes was from it's reputation as an illicit "party drug", and this guy-

lead-singer-fee-waybill-aka-quay-lewd-of-the-tubes-in-concert-circa-picture-id609358783

As someone who grew up hearing references to and jokes about Quaaludes, I suddenly realized about 10 years ago that I had no idea just what kind of drug they actually were, so I did a ton of research by skimming the Wikipedia page. And it turns out that, no, in this country at least, there really isn’t an equivalent – – it was discontinued because it was just considered too dangerous. I guess there may be equivalents or knockoffs in other countries, though.

(Also, I find it a bit strange that 35 years after it was discontinued, my iPhone’s voice to text is still able to recognize Quaaludes.)

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
And it turns out that, no, in this country at least, there really isn’t an equivalent – – it was discontinued because it was just considered too dangerous. I guess there may be equivalents or knockoffs in other countries, though.

You know, based on experiences including my own, I would think Ambien.
Now, I've never done Quaaludes, but I know what it makes you do. Apparently on Ambien you can do all those things, yet have no memory of it.

Also, I find it a bit strange that 35 years after it was discontinued, my iPhone’s voice to text is still able to recognize Quaaludes.
Some classics never die... :LOL: