Getting Started--When to use the snare wire

double bass man

Your advice on when to use the snare wire. I'm into the 'jazzier' side of life. Your expertise welcome.

a) When playing with brushes would you put the snare wire on--for more 'swish' to the sound?--Do most drummers do that?
b) When playing swing / bop with sticks snare wire off?
c) Playing New Orleans style snare wire mostly on? When not playing rolls snare off?--that is 4 in the bar

Any other suggestions using the snare most welcome.
Many thanks.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
a) When playing with brushes would you put the snare wire on--for more 'swish' to the sound?--Do most drummers do that?
Personal taste. People differ. So does the situation. Just use your ears.

b) When playing swing / bop with sticks snare wire off?
In general you'd have them on. Not sure where you got that idea from? Obviously, in solos and different types of intros, "afro" grooves etc.. they might be off .

c) Playing New Orleans style snare wire mostly on? When not playing rolls snare off?--that is 4 in the bar
Oh, it'll be on. More many extra loose too, so you get the response with lighter playing.

Obviously, in a funeral setting the first part is generally with the snares off, but when the band starts it's on.

For any jazzy or low volume situation, if you play a mallet groove, more melodic style, you'll probably have it off. It sort of just becomes another tom then.

mrjones

My instructor is heavily into jazz and Funk and I have never heard him play with the wires off.brushes included he's also from new Orleans and he loves the buzz that the snare makes when it bleeds over that other people don't like just saying