Getting rid of my rack tom mount before re-warping it. How can I cover it?

JaysonJeanChannel

So before I go into detail. My current kit is a PDP EZ series as shown below:
1581731394584.png
I gave the left rack tom with its own stand, converted the right rack tom as a mid floor tom mounted to the cymbal stand. I'm currently planning to rewrap the kit with a glossy sparkle orange. The issue is the tom mount on the bass drum, I'm planning on removing but don't want the gaping hole to show. I know there are drum plates, but I fear they won't fit on this kit specifically?

Any sugesstions on filling the hole in the bass drum? I'm kinda planning on doing the same thing for the left rack tom too.

There should be a plate on the bottom of the mount. Set it aside. Don't lose the screws or nuts for the mount either. Go to Lowe's and buy a small piece of sheet metal. Cut it to match the bottom of the top part of the mount (the part that touches the shell). The screw hole spacings are what's important. Use the screws and nuts from the original mount to attach your new, homemade plate to the drum using the bottom plate you set aside earlier.

This repair is being done on smaller holes, but the same process applies to larger holes as well. Plenty of one inch holes have been plugged this way. It's how pro-repair shops do it. Once done and the drum is re-wrapped, the plug can only be seen from the interior.

There should be a plate on the bottom of the mount. Set it aside. Don't lose the screws or nuts for the mount either. Go to Lowe's and buy a small piece of sheet metal. Cut it to match the bottom of the top part of the mount (the part that touches the shell). The screw hole spacings are what's important. Use the screws and nuts from the original mount to attach your new, homemade plate to the drum using the bottom plate you set aside earlier.

This idea is great.....it's how I do it for all of my bass drum conversions.

The underneath bracket is a complete template with screw holes and sizing/shape all done.

I absolutely love using a piece of brass sheet metal......it looks unreal when finished.

Oh.......use a piece of cork as a gasket between the drum shell and the top plate to prevent any Mark's.

On one kit I did this on, I engraved my initials on the brass plate.

The only issue is when you resell.......of course it'd make the transaction easier if the buyer has the exact same initials as you do!.

The better repair is to fill it as specified. One thing we've learned in our shop (stringed instrument repair) is that an epoxy called Loctite Hysol 0151 will not ever come loose.
I don't think you'll get arrested if you just wrap over the hole though.

The better repair is to fill it as specified. One thing we've learned in our shop (stringed instrument repair) is that an epoxy called Loctite Hysol 0151 will not ever come loose.
I don't think you'll get arrested if you just wrap over the hole though.
Funny enough. I have considered wrapping over the hole.

Back