Getting new crash need help.

bradmapex

I am going to be getting a new AA or AAX Sabian crash, somethin thin to med-thin. Im thinking either AAX-plosion Fast or regular, or an AA Med-thin, in 18". The question i have, is that due to money retrctions, and me now wanting a massive kit, i am going to be trading in a cymbal to get the other one. I am stuck between trading my 16" AAX Studio Crash or my 16" AAX Chinese. I am gettin a new crash because my Studio Crash is getting lost in the mix, so i consider trading that in, but i dont use my china very ofter, but im fraid that if i trade it in i might need one down the road. So what do you think i should trade in. Thanks for the help...
b r a d .

pie

Trade in your china. Get the new crash. When you need a china down the road, pop on down to yourmusic store, and buy a Wuhan for 30 bucks.

Simple as that!
:)

A

audiotech

My opinion would be to get rid of the cymbal that's not working out for you. If you use the china at times, I would hold onto it. I had a Sabian 18" AA Medium Thin it sounded good, but I exchanged it and my other AA's for Sabian Hand Hammered cymbals. The AA's have a vintage sound to them, if that's what you want, where as the AAX line has a more brilliant voice and open-up a bit faster, similar to Zildjian A Customs.

Dennis

Solaris

Silver Member
I don't like 16" crashes, so I'd get rid of that. Crash for a crash seems like a better swap anyway, a china is a pretty distinct sound and I'm sure you'll miss it in your setup.

I just picked up an AAX X-plosion crash myself and absolutely love it straight off the bat. Terrific cymbal for big, explosive accents and it rides so well, hot sizzle sitting on a cushion of wash.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Trade in your china. Get the new crash. When you need a china down the road, pop on down to yourmusic store, and buy a Wuhan for 30 bucks.

Simple as that!
:)
It is pretty much that simple, IMO.

China's are effects cymbals, but crashes aren't as optional. A 16" Studio crash is smallish and thin, and not what I would want if I could only have one, but it would work nicely with another larger crash - say, an 18" AAX X-plosion?

I have an AA 18" Med Thin and don't really like it that much. The 18" AAX X-plosion is more versatile, easier to play on (opens up easily) and has more dynamic range. I had one and regret letting it go. :(

bradmapex

JUST IN... I got my new crash it is a sabian prototype, AA 18 inch. Brilliant finish. It is either a mid thin, or it starts of thein and goes to heazy inthe center. Lathed body, and the bell has HH hammering on it. This thing is the perfect mix or bright and dark, with a nice hiss to it. Opens easy, medium decay. Picked it up for 180$ canadian on the Vault Tour. I LOVE IT!!!

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i just picked up a 16" AAX-plosion fast crash and it is *fast*! maybe a little too fast if you're playing loud music. i'm now in a less heavy band and i needed a crash that would speak quickly without being hit very hard and so far it's worked out well. it sounds great too, very similar to an A custom. if you're in heavy type of band i'd stay away from it though.