Getting my hands back. When should I...

stormyrider

I've started playing again after a long absence. I'm focusing on technique, getting my hands back, etc. I've been spending time with Stick Control and feel a lot better about my playing after a few weeks - still have work to do.
I used traditional grip and have always played with my whole wrist, ie, fingers always loosely on the stick, as opposed to opening my hand and letting my thumb do a lot of the work, push - pull or Moeller.
When should I start thinking about adding some these finger techniques?

The standard answer around here is to get a teacher to look at your hands and start off on the right foot. You may know what you are doing but I would do that if you could so you dont develop some odd bad habit (or continue one in your case) that someday you will find out is limiting your progression.

Dont ask me how I know.

Any way to post a video of your playing on the pad or something- You would get a lot more feedback from the forum I suspect.

I would recommend studying with Sergio Bellotti, owner and teacher at 247 Drums in Boston. He will get you on the right track.

You can check his videos out on the Vic Firth site as well as youtube.

Jeff

thanks. sounds like a good idea. Meanwhile, I keep on discovering more things I need to work on.

Unfortunately, my teacher in HS focused more on the set, learning how to play certain rhythms so I could go out and do society gigs, ie weddings, Bar Mitzvahs. I didn't like doing exercises on the pad at the time, so I didn't resist,
If I only knew then what I know now...

I started off playing with wrist only. It wasn't until I felt comfortable enough to introduce the fingers into my technique. Now I'm trying to learn Moeller and that technique is hard. I'm starting off with the left hand first since it tends to be my weaker hand. To answer your question, I would say introduce fingers and Moeller when you feel confident enough to.

I started off playing with wrist only. It wasn't until I felt comfortable enough to introduce the fingers into my technique. Now I'm trying to learn Moeller and that technique is hard. I'm starting off with the left hand first since it tends to be my weaker hand. To answer your question, I would say introduce fingers and Moeller when you feel confident enough to.

more good advice, thanks. sounds like we are (were) on similar paths.
in that regard, I'm working on strengthening the fulcrum of my left hand. I don't think working the fingers is possible until I do that. In the mean time, continue to work on hands, hands, hands

Back