Getting back in the game...

highbl00d

New to the forum... tryina do research and get feedback. I havent played in YEARS... the last 2 sets I had were cheap-o used sets that were to mess around on... prior to that, when I was still in a band, I had a Mapex set... back in 2001. I do not recall the series, name or anything else about it other than it was a Mapex and it was pretty LoL.

Im not in a band anymore (but I know there are people who are gonna ask me to join smh lol). Im just looking for a decent set to mess around with that ISN'T a cheap-o set just incase I do feel the urge to play at a venue or party.

As for a budget, I really dont want to go over $1000 since Im looking to be more of a recreational player that does it for fun... I honestly had my eye on the Mapex Tornado... and as high priced as a Pearl Export... so nothing outrageous.

I know I may have not provided as much info but by all means ask away... because I also dont wanna buy too cheap of a set that it'll sound like trash (even though its mostly due to my lack of skills LoL).

Thanks !

J-W

I would recommend looking for a mid to upper-end used kit. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck.

Are you in Washington state or DC? You'll probably get a few recommendations for good local used sets. $1000 is more than enough for a good set with cymbals. You probably want to grab drums and hardware locally and get good cymbals online if you can't find any good ones in your area. If a complete set includes shoddy cymbals, you can easily sell or donate them. :)

highbl00d

Im in WA state... I keep an eye out on some of the deals locally, and a there seems to be a good selection, yet I feel like if I just spend a little more, I can get a brand new set... in any event, Im not TOTALLY shut down to getting a used set... but Im kinda leaning toward new... brat status LoL

Well, since you'd like to stay under $1000, that's a bit tricky. Even if the shell set is just $400, you need cymbals, hardware, a throne, maybe new heads... Cymbals, snare and good heads might be the most important part that make up the overall sound. Hardware should at least be decent, even if you just play at home.
Drums and cymbals haven't changed that much over the years and a cheap set from about the 70s onwards might still work very well and sound great. Often, people want to get rid of everything at once because they quit drumming. That's where real bargains can be found, leaving you with plenty of money for nice add-ons or replacements.
This is a good read on what to look out for: https://drumheadauthority.com/articles/used-drums-buying-guide/

cbphoto

Gold Member
I recommend checking out the Tama all-maple superstar classic kits.

here’s one at $950

harryconway

Platinum Member
Im not in a band anymore (but I know there are people who are gonna ask me to join smh lol). Im just looking for a decent set to mess around with that ISN'T a cheap-o set just incase I do feel the urge to play at a venue or party.

As for a budget, I really dont want to go over $1000 ........
Well. the Mapex Tornado is, by Mapex's definition, and most reviews I've read, a beginner kit. There's a used shell pack at Guitar Center going for $120. Haven't found a US seller with one new. What I have found, is the Mapex Rebel complete drum set, for $430. But those aren't listed on the Mapex web sight. What I do find, is the Mapex Storm ($650). So perhaps the Storm is the newest version of the Tornado/Rebel. However, the Tornado/Rebel package included cymbals ..... the Storm does/t seem to.

Probably not a big loss, however. The cymbals you'd get in a $430 package deal are sure to be be ...... ah ....... less that sonically pleasing;)

And don't forget top flight cymbals will make any cruddy kit sound much better.
THIS !!!!! Get the best cymbals you can afford. I bought a 40 year old Tama Royalstar for less than $200, and with new heads, it sounds great. Surround it with Yamaha hardware and high end Sabian cymbals ....... and it'll go toe-to-toe with the big dogs.

If you land a Rebel, for $430 ..... that leaves you over $500 (of that $1000 budget) for better cymbals. You'll probably wanna do that. Also ...... the stock heads (UT) that comes with these kits, they're not the best. They're basically there, so that people can hit "something" when they're drum shopping. So, if you don't upgrade the heads right away ...... you'll want to down the line.

You're stepping into a poplar shelled drum kit. The Yamaha Rydeen would be a competitor. The Tama Imperialstar, Pearl Roadshow would be others.

IF ..... $1000 is just for drum shells (hardware & cymbals separate) I'd look into the next tier of drums. Mapex Armory, Pearl Export, Yamaha Stage Custom, Tama Superstar (then you get to have the fun birch/maple debate):LOL:

And ...... the used market ...... is where you can really get some bang for your buck(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

yammyfan

I owned a Mapex Tornado briefly and cannot recommend them, honestly.

If I were looking for a new budget-friendly drum kit I would go no lower than a Yamaha Stage Custom. You'll have a tough time finding better, for less.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

And dont forget top flight cymbals will make any cruddy kit sound much better.
same thing with a head change...the heads that come on the kits are usually cheapies....

A J

Im in WA state... I keep an eye out on some of the deals locally, and a there seems to be a good selection, yet I feel like if I just spend a little more, I can get a brand new set... in any event, Im not TOTALLY shut down to getting a used set... but Im kinda leaning toward new... brat status LoL

If you decide to go with a new kit, today's modern mid legal kits are really good. My personal favorite is Yamaha stage custom. Like others have said; great deals are to be had on the used market.