Getting a scholarship at Berklee?

Talismanis

I think you have a bit of a warped misunderstanding of musical education

there is no be all end all to any institution

schooling doesn't hand you a career it gives you an opportunity to study with some masters of your craft ..,,.it's up to you what you do with your education ....and it is a good one

also......make me a list of the best places to network with serious aspiring musicians and I'll bet you Berklee is high on that list
"there is no be all end all to any institution"

My point exactly.

dale w miller

Silver Member
Going to college definitely opens your doors to many roots no matter which type of college you choose.

This is tough to say being I am a graduate of Berklee. Being I know the industry the way I do, I don't think I can recommend any young person from not going to any college but Berklee, or college in general, may not be the choice for you.

The choice is not a black and white issue in my opinion. Being a starving artist right after Berklee, I know I couldn't afford an additional $400 a month in lessons if I chose to continue my studies. That said, I didn't need lessons at that moment because I had so much material that only now is it wearing thin and I graduated over 10 years ago. Hence this was my reason to study with Tommy Igoe and some others as of late.

The options in life as young musicians:

1. Go to Berklee : You were like myself and wanted a college degree but didn't want to study a ton of general education classes. You wanted your focus to be strictly on music so Berklee is the choice. Are there possibilities of finding a better teacher outside the school? Sure, but there are a lot of bad *** teachers there as well. You just have to choose the right ones. Some push you, some let you push yourself and simply give you a ton of info. I had the latter when I was there in Skip Hadden, Rick Considine, Larry Finn and Giovanni Hidigalo. If you practice, you will become a bad *** drummer there, but you have to be careful not to take all the proficiency to the point of sterilizing you. Take the classes and the lessons more serious. If you are going there for the sake of their degree options, I really wouldn't choose anything other than their technologies degrees such as MP&E or at the very least take the Music Ed. Though an expensive version of the Music Ed degree, at least you will have a degree that can ultimately land you a job.

2. Go to University & study with bad *** teacher in NYC/LA: This would be my first choice today, but at the time I couldn't handle nor knew what I would study in a general education. I believe though I would regret not being as rounded of a musician but having a head start in the industry would have been nice.

3. Forget school all together and simply study with bad *** teacher: Talk about throwing all your eggs in one basket. It’s the fastest route to being a great drummer for sure as long as your parents don't mind you still live with them and don't ask for rent. You work your 20 hours a week to have enough money to pay for your car and your lessons if you can actually find an instructor who lives in middle America somewhere. If your parents live in LA or NYC then this choice may actually work. I hope you have a rich uncle though to help you start investing in real estate because by the time your career starts to peak out you are going to need a place to live eventually.

End Result:

1. Well rounded musician, college degree, great drummer (if you practice and have some natural talent), establish yourself with other students and the Boston music scene.

1a. Same as 1 except you realize Boston is not for you so you have to find another city to get started an established in. You use your degree and knowledge to get a job.

1b. Same as 1 except you go an get a master's degree at a school in NYC/LA in a General Education and establish yourself as a player in the scene. Perhaps study with bad *** teacher once a month because you have so much from Berklee to work on and school has homework too.

2. Well rounded human being, college degree, great drummer (if you practice and have some natural talent) and set yourself up in the scene of LA/NYC.

2a. Same as 2 except you chose a different city which you may be successful in or you may have to move and start all over again without the help of being a college student.

2b. Same as 1b except you have a different college degree.

3. The best drummer of all the choices because you have a ton of time to practice and have the drive to do so. You become a a superstar and never have to worry about anything in your life or you get old & realize at 50 you still don't own a home, have a family, have health insurance and no reasonable way to get any of those things.

Now that I think about I wish I went to college right away and did 1b!

Last edited: