Getting a Broadkaster pretty soon. You can help me deceide on the finish.

Will you be using it in your punk band? Or your jazz band? Or will you use it as a piece of furniture in your front room?

It'll be used whenever it's tone is preferrable over the USA's.

No punk or metal. Think I can pretty much guarantee that. ?

There's also a future USA kit, and whatever that finish would be.
Planning is a big part of the fun though.

The USA shell pack will be a solid color. White or blue. A bit of Vinnie homeage. If there's another smaller USA kit an the future it might well be something sparly, though,. Probably gold or orange or something like that.

You're really spoiled for finish choices with the Broadkasters. Almost too much to pick from.
I agree with 8Mile though - wrap for gigs, natural's OK for stay at home kits.
Biggest decision is probably flashy vs. subdued. They've got some fairly wild choices in there to pick from.

I want it to look traditional and classy. Main reason to maybe stay away from the MP, is partly because it will look too much like the probably white USAs.

I would pick either Natural or WmP, ... and definitely the vintage hardware, since it’s a specificity and a big part of the charm of the broadcaster.
Anyway, whatever you choose, it‘ll be a marvellous set of drums.

Steve Maxwell has this set WMP 401 Hoops and Claws , sums up the Gretsch Thang very well I think.

Attachments

• DSC_gr0476.JPG
    DSC_gr0476.JPG
    977.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
The natural or the gold sparkle would be my choices. If I was gigging it a ton, I’d go with the wrap. That natural will work in any situation though.

Honestly I would welcome that snare in any of the colors you have listed.
Top two picks would be Natural Satin and Black.

My vote for first choice would be black. Black makes drums look like a piece of furniture. I've always dug that.

My vote for second would be WMP. It looks classic on a small kit. I like the way the hoops look too.

Definitely don't like the YAP. It honestly looks like a WMP that was peed on by a dog. A whole bunch of them. Most likely weiner dogs.

Natural wood is cool. I wouldn't want the responsibility of ownership though.

I don't care for the gold sparkle. It looks too orangy for my tastes.

On the Broadkasters I'm a sucker for that Yellow Antique Pearl finish so that would be my recommendation.

It looks stunning in person/under stage lights.

Well, I see that the choices have been narrowed. Excellent, when are you putting in the order?:ROFLMAO:

Antique Pearl or WMP.

Any other finish and I'm leaving the forum !

;-)

I used to love gold sparkle, but I can now taste the Crush Orange in my mouth when looking at it, so that ruined it for me.

Natural is natural, you can't go wrong with wood.

I also like Green Cadillac.

Antique Pearl or WMP.

Any other finish and I'm leaving the forum !

Luckily for you, that's probably where it's heading.

I used to love gold sparkle, but I can now taste the Crush Orange in my mouth when looking at it, so that ruined it for me.

It sort of has it's place, but in a jazz context I guess your name has to be Elvin to pull it off.

Natural is natural, you can't go wrong with wood.

Now, now. This is a family show.

If I were buying a Broadkaster kit, I'd choose a time-honored finish or wrap that was common back in the 50s and 60s, OR looks like it could have been used back then.

My vote would be White Marine Pearl. If you don't already have a kit with that wrap, you need it! My second choice would probably be Natural Satin. I'm usually more into stained wood than natural, but in this case it looks exceptional.

It's not on your list, but I think Sky Blue Pearl deserves a mention.

I would definitely not go with retro hardware like direct shell mounts and those janky bass drum spurs. They suck.

It's like buying a new sports car but insisting on a hand-crank ignition to pay homage to the Model T. It's just not practical!

I would get the USA Custom you have been longing for since the day I got here.

BK's are very vintage-y, I would wait for my dream kit and not necessarily "compromise", for what that beautiful expression now means.

Simple suggestion, please feel free to flick me off.

Gretsch wood finishes are just beautiful, like fine furniture.
I've only heard those drums in traditional big band sizes of 13/16/24 and they had great warmth and amazing low end.
If I ever had the money, the natural wood finish would be my choice. The hardest part would be deciding on black or natural basss drum hoops. Lol

Last edited:
I've always liked the natural satin. But a while back a few select shops did a white pearl with a sunburst over it... It was awesome87578
But I've been told I have odd taste

Another +1 for Gold Sparkle (although I can relate to your Elvin comment :)) or Yellow Antique Pearl.
My dealer has a set in YAP and it looks absolutely stunning in real life.

I would get the USA Custom you have been longing for since the day I got here.

BK's are very vintage-y, I would wait for my dream kit and not necessarily "compromise", for what that beautiful expression now means.

Simple suggestion, please feel free to flick me off.

Yeah, that's why I'm getting those, too. It won't be long.

I could get a 12,14,18 from Thomann pretty quickly. They have the Antique Pearl in stock. It sort of looks like they're discontinuing the finish, but when I wrote Thomann probably 6 months ago they said add ons should be no problem. I dunno.

Last edited:
Back