Getting a Broadkaster pretty soon. You can help me deceide on the finish.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Basically just getting a bop 4-piece, but I'll add the choices of both 18 and 20 bass drums + 10 and 12 rack toms. Vintage hardware looks cool, but I'll probably get the modern stuff.

My current contestants are.

Natural Satin

Yellow Antique Pearl

White Marine Pearl

Black

Gold Sparkle

8Mile

Platinum Member
Congrats! Deciding on a finish took me years. I like all of the options you've presented above.

The one thing I will say is that choosing between a wrap and wood finish would depend for me on whether I was gigging the set extensively. I never owned a drum that wasn't wrapped until I got my new USA Customs and I immediately realized how much I took the durability of a wrap for granted. Just dropping a drum key or moving a cymbal stand invites all these potential nicks and scratches, things I never worried about with a wrap.

Then again, if you're the type who doesn't care about those things and feel they just add character to the drum, it may not be a factor for you.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Congrats!!!! Envious. Gosh all look nice-the Gold Gretsch posted the other day really popped, but I think I like No. 1 best. So how did you decide Broadkaster over USA Custom or Brooklyn's? Tough choices-I'd have to do a double blind dart throw or something-least I go crazy (not a huge leap admittedly LOL).

dmacc_2

Congrats!

I have a USA Custom and Brooklyn in Satin Maple and love the look. Then again, I happen to like that type of look. If you are into wraps a totally different story.

Get what will make you happy long term is all I can offer up.

Congrats! Deciding on a finish took me years. I like all of the options you've presented above.

The one thing I will say is that choosing between a wrap and wood finish would depend for me on whether I was gigging the set extensively. I never owned a drum that wasn't wrapped until I got my new USA Customs and I immediately realized how much I took the durability of a wrap for granted. Just dropping a drum key or moving a cymbal stand invites all these potential nicks and scratches, things I never worried about with a wrap.

Then again, if you're the type who doesn't care about those things and feel they just add character to the drum, it may not be a factor for you.
This is very true.. A wrap does add an element layer of protection. It may or may not be important to you.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member

Well, I like reliced things, but I don't lke relicing them my self. 😄 So, yeah, I care.

I like the first 2 choices with the 2nd choice having the edge
When they reissued the Broafkasters the 2nd one, Antique Pearl, certainly was what caught my eye first. As time's gone by I've started considering other options.

What's caught my attention there is basically the 414 version by Austrian Audio and then I'm deciding between 98s or DM20s for clip on tom mics.

Congrats!!!! Envious. Gosh all look nice-the Gold Gretsch posted the other day really popped, but I think I like No. 1 best. So how did you decide Broadkaster over USA Custom or Brooklyn's? Tough choices-I'd have to do a double blind dart throw or something-least I go crazy (not a huge leap admittedly LOL).

Oh, I'm definetly getting both. My two favourite drum models and easily different enough to justify. This small Broadkaster and then USA Customs in most sizes.

It's taking it's time and the reason is that my job and general life situation is changing so often. I was about to take a loan to get it done, but at least this small Broadkaster I should be able to buy cash for myself for Christmas. There is a case I guess I've mentioned where I've suffered a bit of PTSD from some narcissistic leaders, so maybe I'll get some compensation there. Too early to tell. No fun. I can tell you that much. In any case iI have a bit of steady employment and right now very low living expenses, as well. See if I can get this done and then start updating my PA and recording gear, which can be done more gradually.

I'm a sucker for a natural finish on drums - there's just something classy about it.
I'm usually not, but in this case I think it works.

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
No way. YOU pick the finish. I’m not taking the blame if you listen to me and then don’t like it later. That’s too much pressure!
Obviously, but we need something to talk about, don't we? 😀

I'll be thinking for 2-3 months.

If I was rich I'd get one of each and then just choose depending on mood that day. 😂

Aah, they all look classy. If the choice was up to me, I would probably pick the gold sparkle, since I'm not into natural wood that much, and I do already own black and wmp kits. If it was my first kit, I would go for wmp though.

Littleyoda25

I love a natural finish but i bought a broadkaster in satin chestnut duco and it's beautiful! I'll post pictures when im not on my phone.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
For me the White Marine and Orange Sparkle are inline with the era the drums represent. I really like natural hoops on the White Marine.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh getting both-dang man! Oh what a good boy am I. So I expect some videos or pics at a minimum. Hot dang-you'll need a Brooklyn later-and they're cheaper. It's a trilogy man.