Get your "custom" Zildjian T-shirt-Only $100

type85

I'm REALLY (with a bag of eye rolls...) curious as to what the desired pedigree would be a good CEO. One of the things holding this industry back is the echo chamber of the old boy's club who "just want everything to go back to the way it used to be..." and A LOT of washed up musicians who ended up working industry-side (often without much practical experience). There's an incredible amount of ignorance present in this thread and a general lack of understanding for brands in this industry, not to mention the structure of companies in general.

Please raise your hand if you think having a CEO who was successful in senior leadership roles at global brands like those mentioned above is a bad idea. Next, where would you prefer that they worked instead?

Profit, profit, profit, that's all that matters..........

picodon

Silver Member
I'm REALLY (with a bag of eye rolls...) curious as to what the desired pedigree would be a good CEO. One of the things holding this industry back is the echo chamber of the old boy's club who "just want everything to go back to the way it used to be..." and A LOT of washed up musicians who ended up working industry-side (often without much practical experience). There's an incredible amount of ignorance present in this thread and a general lack of understanding for brands in this industry, not to mention the structure of companies in general.

Please raise your hand if you think having a CEO who was successful in senior leadership roles at global brands like those mentioned above is a bad idea. Next, where would you prefer that they worked instead?
I agree, the CEO doesn't hammer the cymbals, their job is the company's survival and progress. That's what a good CEO does. Everything else is delegated.

A bad CEO interferes with other people's jobs just he/she thinks their ideas are better than anyone else's (including clients) because CEO. Changes the company logo. Says our cymbals must come in different colors. Says we must do a T-shirt campaign.

Last edited:

BenOBrienSmith

Profit, profit, profit, that's all that matters..........
I knew I wouldn't have to wait long for another example to come up. :rolleyes:
I agree, the CEO doesn't hammer the cymbals, their job is the company's survival and progress. That's what a good CEO does. Everything else is delegated.

A bad CEO interferes with other people's jobs just he/she thinks their ideas are better than anyone else's (including clients) because CEO. Changes the company logo. Says our cymbals must come in different colors. Says we must do a T-shirt campaign.
Survival and progress would certainly be an extremely simplified explanation. Keep in mind that the CEO also answers to the board of directors. Great CEOs establish/work with vision and clear a path for the realization of that vision. Assessing opportunities (and opportunity costs) are a huge part of the job for most. Making these decisions and weathering these challenges depends on quite a bit of contextual information that is rarely shared on the homepage of the brand website, not to mention known by the average participants in a message board.

As a general piece of advice to those piling on here, never underestimate the simple reality that there's a lot happening that you don't know about. While it's easy to point a finger at a guy coming from another industry, this is a bit of a cop out and ignores a lot of necessary context. Unless you've actually worked at/with the company and understand how they function and what sort of vision they're executing (not to mention who's vision it is...), you're really just speculating from the drum throne at best.

BenOBrienSmith

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_brand. Zildjian has shifted in this direction. Lots of changes at the company. No more videos, Zildjian Live events, advertising and huge reduction in labor. New CEO.
They've had all sorts of lifestyle merch for years (decades) and adding more in the way of collaborations isn't exactly a shift. It's not like they're cutting back on making cymbals. Not sure what you mean by "no more videos," as they've released plenty (hell, I shot a few of them!). The last Zildjian Live was the January before COVID hit. I think most brands took a break from producing major live events in 2021 and quite a few in 2022. For what it's worth, there's been significant industry wide change in advertising, so that's not really unique to Zildjian. Same with letting some people go (though not necessarily eliminating their roles). I saw this same thing happen at D'Addario over the last couple years. Current CEO started as President in 2017 and became CEO in 2019.

There's a whole lot of groupthink going on here...

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Wow all I can say is for that money it better have my name embroidered in gold lettering.Zildjian Shirt.jpg

picodon

Silver Member

Survival and progress would certainly be an extremely simplified explanation. Keep in mind that the CEO also answers to the board of directors. Great CEOs establish/work with vision and clear a path for the realization of that vision. Assessing opportunities (and opportunity costs) are a huge part of the job for most. Making these decisions and weathering these challenges depends on quite a bit of contextual information that is rarely shared on the homepage of the brand website, not to mention known by the average participants in a message board.

As a general piece of advice to those piling on here, never underestimate the simple reality that there's a lot happening that you don't know about. While it's easy to point a finger at a guy coming from another industry, this is a bit of a cop out and ignores a lot of necessary context. Unless you've actually worked at/with the company and understand how they function and what sort of vision they're executing (not to mention who's vision it is...), you're really just speculating from the drum throne at best.
I know, of course I was simplifying to the extreme.

What I'm seeing where I work is that the CEO, who came from a company in the same industry, thinks he knows all there is to know to take every decision himself, paralyzing the rest of the organization, whereas someone from outside the industry may have been a little more humble, more inclined to listen to the existing experts and use their savoir faire, even though he or she would know very well how to run a business in more general terms, that's what they were hired for.

The most successful CEO is often someone who grew up within the company, but then those people easily get stuck in one way of thinking over the years and may be less able to take sharp turns if that were required.

A change of CEO is a very delicate moment and may change lots of things for better or worse. I don't know the guy nor do I know Zildjian enough to make any meaningful predictions.

Enough speculation from the throne now 😁

JoeVermont

I played a jam band festival about 10 years ago where there was vendor making custom tie-dye t-shirts while you wait. It was really, really popular. Logistically, I guess you had to wait until the shirt dried to pick them up. One other note, our band was horribly out of place with the rest of the line up, but it was a nice hang after we finished our set.

Last edited:

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_brand. Zildjian has shifted in this direction. Lots of changes at the company. No more videos, Zildjian Live events, advertising and huge reduction in labor. New CEO.
But again, none of that is a lifestyle. It's just trends.

What is the drummer lifestyle? Will someone please pigeonhole us into a small category so I can fit in.

I do not own 1 tie dyed shirt. Either myself or Zildjian has the drummers lifestyle wrong. Who is it?

planoranger

I do not own 1 tie dyed shirt. Either myself or Zildjian has the drummers lifestyle wrong. Who is it?
It's just gotta be you. After all, companies ALWAYS know how and what we should be doing!!! :ROFLMAO::mad:
To quote the Borg (from the Star Trek franchise): "Resistance is futile"

Full disclosure: I actually have a couple of Vic Firth shirts. And...don't even ask me about my favorite baseball team's t-shirt collection.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
It's just gotta be you. After all, companies ALWAYS know how and what we should be doing!!! :ROFLMAO::mad:
To quote the Borg (from the Star Trek franchise): "Resistance is futile"

Full disclosure: I actually have a couple of Vic Firth shirts. And...don't even ask me about my favorite baseball team's t-shirt collection.
My issue is the word lifestyle. That denotes that people of a certain group think and act the same way. You can tell their group when you see it.

Drummers are not like this. We identify with our music, and then dress, think, talk, and act accordingly. The music is the lifestyle, not the instrument.

If you look at me you can tell I'm a metalhead. That's the lifestyle. You cant tell what instrument I play, or if I play one at all.

I guess the Zildjian shirt could denote "musician", but again that's awfully broad. Garth Brooks and John Longstreth live vastly different lives but both are successful musicians.

To me lifestyle is how you choose to live, not the activities you participate in.

planoranger

My issue is the word lifestyle. That denotes that people of a certain group think and act the same way. You can tell their group when you see it...

To me lifestyle is how you choose to live, not the activities you participate in.
Totally agree. I'm just wondering if Zildjian's message was just misguided or just a poor choice of wording or, more probably, not understanding what "lifestyle" truly means.

Along the same lines: Up until fairly recently, the majority of people that I ran across defined themselves by what their occupation was rather than who they really were (personality, values, ethics, morals, etc). Which, I guess, tells me what type of people they were. It'll be interesting to see the impact that "quietly quitting" will have on that mindset.

So...maybe Zildjian is part of that "confusion" as well.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Along the same lines: Up until fairly recently, the majority of people that I ran across defined themselves by what their occupation was rather than who they really were (personality, values, ethics, morals, etc).
Totally agree, I've seen that a bunch too.

This morning I've watered my garden and done dishes. Cant decide if I'm a farmer or housekeeper lol. I live the utterly confused lifestyle 🙂.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Totally agree. I'm just wondering if Zildjian's message was just misguided or just a poor choice of wording or, more probably, not understanding what "lifestyle" truly means.
I dunno. Many fashion companies call themselves a 'lifestyle' brand. I guess - if true, which I doubt - the new CEO wanted to take advantage of some lifestyle marketing...in the same way Nike supplies serious athletes, but is also a purveyor of 'lifestyle'. Hence uniforms for GB athletes at the World Championships, but also $1,000 limited edition sneakers. It doesn't mean athletes look down on Nike, nor should drummers look down on Zildjian.

Otto

Platinum Member

Not sure what the eye roll is about.

Short term profit is the cancer of modern business.

If any business can hold back its greed enough to take survivable profits and issue products worth buying for a few human generations, as used to be practiced, you would see success like what built Zildijan.

...but short term profit rules the day.

No, its not just the CEO Selection...its far deeper. Getting a CEO who does not know the product is only a symptom.