George Kollias here...

George,
congrats on your signature sticks!

I'm still no extreme metal fan (yet) and not long into drums but let me say this:
Your drumming is... awesome! It's pure fun watching you play. Your video (snippet from your DVD) where you're speeding up from 200 to 280 bpm is just ultra, simply inhumane.

Also great to see you're participating in this forum and take the time to answer 'normal people's' questions, haha.
It's all in the music man, really glad you enjoy it!...

We are actually filming my new DVD right now which will be much better than the first one in every aspect. It's a little more advanced than the first one but still always around the player and the music. Some crazy funk stuff will be added in there......coming out soon! :)

George,
I've just received your DVD... Wow, that one is serious! I'm wondering what there is to be improved compared to your 1st one ;-) Looking forward to your 2nd DVD (although this stuff is way too advanced for me, but hey there's so many cool tips, concepts and just jaw dropping chops on it I simply had to get it). Thanks for sharing your knowledge and doing this in a structured way!

Yasou Gewrgos!!!

Ellhnes eimai (ap'thn kerkyra) alla exw xrwnia sthn ameriki.

Apisteuto! (8a allaskw sta agglika twra) That you're actually on the forum. Big fan of yours and I actually served my military service in Greece (last year) with a student of yours. He had only the best to say about you... and mentioned that you were quite the 'latin drummer'. So just wondering when the Kollias latin-beats dvd/cd is coming out... ;-) Horacio 'el negro' who???

A drummer myself, I use to run around gigging and recording when I was younger (thrash/speed/hardcore) then I started opening my mind to jazz/latin/funk/progressive and now just play Greek festivals, weddings and baptisms here in the states as a side-job. I'd actually play for free ( mono yia ligw tsipouro k psari ;-) ) as I still enjoy playing the drums after all these years and watching/learning from artists like yourself just motivate me to spend as much time as I can playing,practicing and growing.

Listening to you play, I can't help to think that maybe traditional Greek music has had an influence on you, as pertains to some of the odd time signatures.. 5's, 7's, and 9's. Am I right? Did you ever play 'laiki musiki' growing up or even maybe studio work with any Greek artists?

I just want to say Thank You. For the way you've conducted yourself as an artist and as a citizen of Greece. We need all the ambassadors to represent a positive image of our people and country, especially in these trying times.

Xairetismata!
-Anastasios

Last edited:
It's all in the music man, really glad you enjoy it!...

We are actually filming my new DVD right now which will be much better than the first one in every aspect. It's a little more advanced than the first one but still always around the player and the music. Some crazy funk stuff will be added in there......coming out soon! :)

Sweet, I didn't know you had another DVD in the works! Is there any sort of estimate for when I could get my hands on a copy? Perhaps a pre-order or something?

George,
I've just received your DVD... Wow, that one is serious! I'm wondering what there is to be improved compared to your 1st one ;-) Looking forward to your 2nd DVD (although this stuff is way too advanced for me, but hey there's so many cool tips, concepts and just jaw dropping chops on it I simply had to get it). Thanks for sharing your knowledge and doing this in a structured way!
Thanks man, i appreciate it!
The new DVD is way better, better quality and sound, more cameras and a very professional crew behind it so it's coming out killer....! Really looking forward to release this and share it with all, stay tuned!

Yasou Gewrgos!!!

Ellhnes eimai (ap'thn kerkyra) alla exw xrwnia sthn ameriki.

Apisteuto! (8a allaskw sta agglika twra) That you're actually on the forum. Big fan of yours and I actually served my military service in Greece (last year) with a student of yours. He had only the best to say about you... and mentioned that you were quite the 'latin drummer'. So just wondering when the Kollias latin-beats dvd/cd is coming out... ;-) Horacio 'el negro' who???

A drummer myself, I use to run around gigging and recording when I was younger (thrash/speed/hardcore) then I started opening my mind to jazz/latin/funk/progressive and now just play Greek festivals, weddings and baptisms here in the states as a side-job. I'd actually play for free ( mono yia ligw tsipouro k psari ;-) ) as I still enjoy playing the drums after all these years and watching/learning from artists like yourself just motivate me to spend as much time as I can playing,practicing and growing.

Listening to you play, I can't help to think that maybe traditional Greek music has had an influence on you, as pertains to some of the odd time signatures.. 5's, 7's, and 9's. Am I right? Did you ever play 'laiki musiki' growing up or even maybe studio work with any Greek artists?

I just want to say Thank You. For the way you've conducted yourself as an artist and as a citizen of Greece. We need all the ambassadors to represent a positive image of our people and country, especially in these trying times.

Xairetismata!
-Anastasios
Cheers brother, thanks so much for your kind words!
We are going on tour in the States next week, hope we catch up on a show, would be killer!

And stay where you are, situation in Greece is very bad now so you are good there, ha ha ha

Sweet, I didn't know you had another DVD in the works! Is there any sort of estimate for when I could get my hands on a copy? Perhaps a pre-order or something?
Will be out in the summer, working like a mad man on this one and so far looks Killer!
As soon as it's ready i will let everyone know, will be out through Hudson Music this time.

thanks!

I have been watching your videos and have to say you look like your playing in fast motion even though I know its normal speed. Do you ever get tendinitis in your elbows, knees or anywhere else? or hell does your feet ever just fly off? lol. Anyway just wondering what kinds of physical problems you have experienced playing at such break-neck speeds? Love your drumming BTW

Hey man, got to say that I was never a fan of any metal music/drumming, but after watching you at the london drum show my opinion has been completely changed. Killer drumming dude and I hope to see more in the future (even if my hearing takes a bashing) :)

you bass drums technique is AMAZING, so much speed, so munch control and it's freaky to see you heel fly from side to side, GREAT!

Thank You, vfujidrums

Last edited:
Hey George

Loving the new album! This is going to be on my iTunes for a while I reckon!

While I can't imagine it's been planned yet, do you know when/if a UK tour for the album is likely to take place? I had a ticket for the Cardiff show for 'Those Whom The Gods Detest' but missed it due to illness.....devastated.

Hi George.

So I've watched a lot of your Drum Clinic/Tutorial videos on YouTube. You mentioned playing with a tight spring tension. Now I'm curious, I also play with a tight spring tension, but if you were to mark your double pedal's (Pear Eliminators) tightening nuts with a permanent marker and tighten it, how much turns (360) will you normally give the nut?

Thanks.

P.S. I normally go on the "feel" of the spring tension, but I've noticed a lot of drummers saying "tight" spring tension, but I'm not sure how tight they mean precisely, that's why I'm asking. :p

Hi George, as many have said I'm a huge fan of your playing - I never used to really appreciate really hardcore metal stuff until I realised just how much passion and soul really goes into it, so you've made me a fan. :) Now I'm trying to learn how to do it all myself hah.

I tried to follow your 16 week workout a few weeks ago, as I got my first double pedal in february this year, but I simply can't hit 80bpm 32nds/160bpm 16ths yet. Is it still a good idea for me to do the workout at slightly slower tempos, or are they at those tempos for a very specific reason?

Also, do you have any experience with running? I went for a long run today and my legs are feeling tired and tight, so I'm stretching them like mad but trying to do any kind of double bass is an absolute chore at the moment.

Thanks you very much!

Last edited:
Hi George, as many have said I'm a huge fan of your playing - I never used to really appreciate really hardcore metal stuff until I realised just how much passion and soul really goes into it, so you've made me a fan. :) Now I'm trying to learn how to do it all myself hah.

I tried to follow your 16 week workout a few weeks ago, as I got my first double pedal in february this year, but I simply can't hit 80bpm 32nds/160bpm 16ths yet. Is it still a good idea for me to do the workout at slightly slower tempos, or are they at those tempos for a very specific reason?

Also, do you have any experience with running? I went for a long run today and my legs are feeling tired and tight, so I'm stretching them like mad but trying to do any kind of double bass is an absolute chore at the moment.

Thanks you very much!
Hey man,
thanks for your kind words.

First, YOU CAN hit 32nd notes at 80bpm...i'm sure you can. These exercises start with 32nds for one beat so everybody can, then after you get into it you hold it for 2 beats, then 3 and so on, like the exercises go. So just go for it, this is the most important thing about speed: If you wanna play fast, you need to sit down and play fast! It will take some time depending on what you're shooting for but i promise you it will come!

The 16-week workout will give you a lot of control and get you in the flying motion (like we call it). It's mostly about control than speed, but we know if you improve your control speed improves also in no time...

I was running when i was younger and played a lot of soccer, but left both (thanks to drums). I know running is not good for your knees, every doctor will tell you that as well so if you wanna exercise a little safer maybe try walking or bicycle? These work great too...

As far as stretching, it is the best thing you can do to yourself as a drummer or whatever. This is the KEY to not hurt yourself and it's what i do especially on the road...

Hi George.

So I've watched a lot of your Drum Clinic/Tutorial videos on YouTube. You mentioned playing with a tight spring tension. Now I'm curious, I also play with a tight spring tension, but if you were to mark your double pedal's (Pear Eliminators) tightening nuts with a permanent marker and tighten it, how much turns (360) will you normally give the nut?

Thanks.

P.S. I normally go on the "feel" of the spring tension, but I've noticed a lot of drummers saying "tight" spring tension, but I'm not sure how tight they mean precisely, that's why I'm asking. :p
I use tight springs on my Axis, remember Axis have heavy duty springs which makes the pedal twice hard to push down....they are really tight. The reason i do that is cause, when i am getting ready to play (lift my ankle to hit the bass drum), the beater doesn't land on the bass drum head but holds me up on the firing position (i call it like that).
So, basically holds you "up there" when you have both ankles up and getting ready to play a fast pattern. That's it.

I also have Eliminators, great pedals. I play those tight as well but the difference with Axis is like day and night, i mean Axis springs are way more tight.

Any spring tighten more than half way goes to the "tight area", although when i get any pedal out of the box i tight the nut all the way up. So 100%.

Hey George

Loving the new album! This is going to be on my iTunes for a while I reckon!

While I can't imagine it's been planned yet, do you know when/if a UK tour for the album is likely to take place? I had a ticket for the Cardiff show for 'Those Whom The Gods Detest' but missed it due to illness.....devastated.
I'm pretty sure we're coming there with Kreator and Morbid Angel in Oct.-Nov.
DO NOT MISS IT, this will be a BLAST!!!!! I'm actually so looking forward for that tour!!!!!!

Thanks for your kind words brother!

you bass drums technique is AMAZING, so much speed, so munch control and it's freaky to see you heel fly from side to side, GREAT!

Thank You, vfujidrums
Thanks so much...
the only reason i wanted to play fast and still playing fast is the Music itself...to be honest, i think the whole thing is in the music. I can't imagine myself sitting down and playing fast for hours for no reason.....

Hey man, got to say that I was never a fan of any metal music/drumming, but after watching you at the london drum show my opinion has been completely changed. Killer drumming dude and I hope to see more in the future (even if my hearing takes a bashing) :)
What a killer Festival man....i had a blast!
You guys are lucky to be able to see such a festival every year!

Thanks for your kind words...!

I have been watching your videos and have to say you look like your playing in fast motion even though I know its normal speed. Do you ever get tendinitis in your elbows, knees or anywhere else? or hell does your feet ever just fly off? lol. Anyway just wondering what kinds of physical problems you have experienced playing at such break-neck speeds? Love your drumming BTW
hahaha
thanks man...

Playing extreme music might give you some injuries here and there, i guess that differs from drummer to drummer. Some minor problems i had was in my legs (different places each time) until i promised myself to stretch every time before the show.....that was it.....

There are 2 things you HAVE to do for your body, especially if you are a drummer:
-Drink a lot of water
-Stretch

Do yourself a favour and -no matter what music you play- make sure you follow these 2 things as much as you can!

Back