Gentle Drumming Challenge - `Dont Smash Your Drums` by StiGy

StiGy

"The Drum Challenge - Play Quiet!" - Lets open a discussion about this serious Topic!! tell me what you think...

In this video i give an Drum Practice - Original Tip that can greatly improve your calmness and overall flaw in your Drumming..
*If youre a fan of Blues, check out minute 3 - I perform a Blues track I composed, with Bass and Guitar*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJPDpEwPLxc

Would be nice to hear what you think TY :)

G

Ghostnote

Low stick heights, finger technique/French grip, and lighter sticks (if req'd).

I'm a heavy hitting, predominantly rock guy. That's how I instinctively have always approached the instrument, so I struggled mightily with this until I just sat down and started learning finger technique on a pad. I just practiced rudiments using only the fingers and in no time I got comfortable playing quietly without all the tension and awkwardness that had plagued me when I would try to hold back while still employing a dialed-down version of the wrist/arm motion that I had always relied upon.

It feels soooooo alien and unatural to start learning finger technique if you have never employed it before, but if you just take your time and chip away at it you will be surprised at just how quickly you will get comfortable with it.

thebarak

I have had a similar renaissance. You are right, low stick heights, different grips, including French, and lighter sticks are the key, as well as possibly changing how you position your drums and cymbals.

And the importance of using a practice pad cannot be overstated. Even if you have a kit set up at home and can play it any time without bothering anyone, a practice pad is still the way to go when you are basically relearning how to play.

Anyone who goes through this will come out as a better drummer, and everything becomes easier and less damaging to the hands and equipment!

G

Ghostnote

Anyone who goes through this will come out as a better drummer, and everything becomes easier and less damaging to the hands and equipment!
Can't agree more. Even when I'm slammin', a bit of finger and rebound control has worked it's way into my overall technique. My wrists and hands feel less stressed and my heads don't get pitted as quickly anymore. Also haven't damaged/dented any cymbals since. I'm still hitting just as hard, but I'm playing up and off my gear instead of playing through everything like I used to. A little OT from the thread, but a fringe benefit regardless.

Merlin5

Gold Member
You have to focus even more on timing when playing softly. It's very easy to drag if you've been used to slamming hard on kick and snare.