Genesis “The Last Domino” 2021 Tour

So I went to the Friday show at Toronto’s Scotiabank theatre.

As I previously advised, massively overpriced but I got great seats and this was a bucket list item for me as this is likely their last hurrah and I’ve never seen them live.

They did a great job of balancing the set list across the various eras. Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford are still rock solid, and Nick on drums was really the heartbeat of the band. He offers a decidedly heavier and straighter approach to his parts than Chester Thompson or Phil ever did but this might also have to do with the more straight-forward arrangements.

The Cinema Show instrumental breakdown and the Duke suite were a couple of highlights that hearkenex back to their glory days.

As for Phil we all knew what to expect and his present condition is heavily documented so no need to spill more ink on the subject. But his frail voice got somewhat stronger as the night proceeded and looking at him I couldn’t help but feel more poignancy to many of the lyrics as he sat there in his chair with his cane. The show closer the carpet crawlers gave me goosebumps. Phil’s still able to command an audience and his wit and humour were in full effect. “It’s been a strange few years” he said at one point - understatement of the year lol. Seeing him air drumming at several points while looking at his son play HIS parts was bittersweet.

Do I recommend going if you have the opportunity? It depends; first timers or newbs to Genesis probably won’t get much out of it. But those who have an appreciation of the back catalogue and have been waiting for a while to see them should probably consider going (high prices notwithstanding).

I got a sense of closure watching them as realistically I’m not sure how much more gas is in the tank.

So I went to the Friday show at Toronto’s Scotiabank theatre.

As I previously advised, massively overpriced but I got great seats and this was a bucket list item for me as this is likely their last hurrah and I’ve never seen them live.

They did a great job of balancing the set list across the various eras. Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford are still rock solid, and Nick on drums was really the heartbeat of the band. He offers a decidedly heavier and straighter approach to his parts than Chester Thompson or Phil ever did but this might also have to do with the more straight-forward arrangements.

The Cinema Show instrumental breakdown and the Duke suite were a couple of highlights that hearkenex back to their glory days.

As for Phil we all knew what to expect and his present condition is heavily documented so no need to spill more ink on the subject. But his frail voice got somewhat stronger as the night proceeded and looking at him I couldn’t help but feel more poignancy to many of the lyrics as he sat there in his chair with his cane. The show closer the carpet crawlers gave me goosebumps. Phil’s still able to command an audience and his wit and humour were in full effect. “It’s been a strange few years” he said at one point - understatement of the year lol. Seeing him air drumming at several points while looking at his son play HIS parts was bittersweet.

Do I recommend going if you have the opportunity? It depends; first timers or newbs to Genesis probably won’t get much out of it. But those who have an appreciation of the back catalogue and have been waiting for a while to see them should probably consider going (high prices notwithstanding).

I got a sense of closure watching them as realistically I’m not sure how much more gas is in the tank.
Great review. My experience in Montreal was very similar.

I was farther away from the stage than I would have liked to have been but it was nice to see everything from the front instead of the side and the sound was excellent from my vantage point. I could even hear the hi-hat cymbal which is rare for me during an arena show.

20211122_220758.jpg20211122_202233.jpg

Back