General Gear Questions

?uesto

Silver Member
We're applying for a grant at school for some new gear. (We have no formally funded music program). Since I'm head of the percussion section, I've been assigned to list everything we can upgrade, and what we should add. I've already listed what needs replacing, but I wanted to know if anyone Could recommend anything else that can help for lice performances. I ordered a drum mic kit, sub-mixer, and new cymbal pack.

I know it's hard to help without knowing fully what we have, but just some quick suggestions, please.

Do you have timpani? I was put in charge of a similar thing when I was in highschool some years ago. If you utilize timpani, new heads are always a good thing (though expensive). I'd also say make sure you have a good stock of mallets (wood, metal, and wool) as well as a nice bass drum mallet. My experience with under-funded music programs is a lot of duct tape on drum heads and worn out mallets/lack of sticks.

Do you have timpani? I was put in charge of a similar thing when I was in highschool some years ago. If you utilize timpani, new heads are always a good thing (though expensive). I'd also say make sure you have a good stock of mallets (wood, metal, and wool) as well as a nice bass drum mallet. My experience with under-funded music programs is a lot of duct tape on drum heads and worn out mallets/lack of sticks.

Well we don't have any formal music program. This means no marching band, no regular band, no music classes, etc. We have two after school clubs, ("Music Club," and "Glee Club"), but both are underfunded. We have one drum kit for practice, and for performances, I either bring mine, or we rent one from the local drum shop on the school's dime. But no other percussion, nothing requiring timpanis heads or mallets, unfortunately.

Back