Gene Krupa

XNIRVANAX

Member
Re: Genie Krupa

yeah hes really good .. a very old drummer too and also one of the greats it maybee him who started all the soloing and all.
 

RTDRUMS

Pioneer Member
Re: Genie Krupa

Thats funny that your wondering about Gene because I was just posting about him in general disccusion.

Gene Krupa was responsible for making it tremendously cool to play the drums. Lets all give it up for GK!
 

Dr. Neaux

Member
Re: Genie Krupa

Drummer_Boy said:
Yeah..he definately made the drums a solo instrument.
I believe he was also "instrumental"(pun intended ;P) in the development of the tunable tom-toms, the hi-hat and is believed to be the first to actually record with a bass drum in the studio. And he did make the drums a solo instrument and was responsible for making the drummer a highly respected and high paid musician. As Buddy once said about Gene: "Gene was a great, great genius of the drums.....Can you imagine jazz without Gene?" Here's to Mr. Showmanship himself, Gene Krupa!!!
 

Drummer_Boy

Senior Member
Re: Genie Krupa

Dr. Neaux said:
I believe he was also "instrumental"(pun intended ;P) in the development of the tunable tom-toms, the hi-hat and is believed to be the first to actually record with a bass drum in the studio. And he did make the drums a solo instrument and was responsible for making the drummer a highly respected and high paid musician. As Buddy once said about Gene: "Gene was a great, great genius of the drums.....Can you imagine jazz without Gene?" Here's to Mr. Showmanship himself, Gene Krupa!!!
I really, really agree with you. I'm sure that he's probably my favorite Big Band drummer. Buddy Rich is my second...tho most would probably argue that he SHOULD be my first...
Also it's a good thing he helped drummers get respected, otherwise all the people in band class would say im not even a musician. Haha.
 

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Re: Genie Krupa

Gene Krupa = GENIE Krupa

absolutely!!!! Instant classic......never heard. Great

Bernhard
 

Drummer_Boy

Senior Member
Re: Genie Krupa

Bernhard said:
Gene Krupa = GENIE Krupa

absolutely!!!! Instant classic......never heard. Great

Bernhard
Haha, thank you a lot. I just came up with that when I started this thread. I guess it just goes to show how much I like him.
 

DogBreath

Administrator Emeritus
Re: Genie Krupa

Drummer_Boy said:
I'm sure that he's probably my favorite Big Band drummer. Buddy Rich is my second...
You just scored some points with me on that one.
 

DogBreath

Administrator Emeritus
Re: Genie Krupa

Without a doubt. I have six drummer's pictures on the wall in my drum room. Gene is up there, Buddy is not.
 

RTDRUMS

Pioneer Member
Re: Genie Krupa

There both great however Gene has been quoted sayin "Buddy is the greatest drummer to ever draw a breath".

Dont get me wrong I love Gene Krupa, But I love Buddy Rich more because he was a better drummer.
 
M

mediocrefunkybeat

Guest
Re: Genie Krupa

I would argue otherwise. I think out of the two, Gene was the better. Although Buddy had him technically, I personally think that Gene had the more musicality of the two and that makes Gene better.

Just my personal opinion; and don't get me wrong, Buddy Rich was amazing.
 

DogBreath

Administrator Emeritus
Re: Genie Krupa

RTDRUMS said:
There both great however Gene has been quoted sayin "Buddy is the greatest drummer to ever draw a breath".
That is a perfect example of a gentleman who knows how to speak of another. Gene was the better drummer, the better musician, and the better gentleman. Buddy was the better showman. Gene sold drumming; Buddy sold Buddy.

Just my humble opinion, not an argument.
 

RTDRUMS

Pioneer Member
Re: Genie Krupa

DogBreath said:
That is a perfect example of a gentleman who knows how to speak of another. Gene was the better drummer, the better musician, and the better gentleman. Buddy was the better showman. Gene sold drumming; Buddy sold Buddy.

Just my humble opinion, not an argument.
great point. I agree Gene out classed Buddy.
soo. How about that Louie Bellson?
 

Drummer_Boy

Senior Member
Re: Genie Krupa

DogBreath said:
Gene was the better drummer, the better musician, and the better gentleman. Buddy was the better showman. Gene sold drumming; Buddy sold Buddy.

Just my humble opinion, not an argument.
You're very right, I think. Also, he was definately the better gentleman. Haha, my dad said that he once saw Buddy Rich when he was a kid, and he waited in line to talk to Buddy Rich. Buddy Rich asked him,"Where's your paper for me to sign?" and my dad goes, "Well, I just wanted to tell you how much I respect you and the band", then Buddy goes, "Get the f**k out of here." HAHAHA. But anyways, Gene was definately a better musician. Buddy Rich actually couldn't read music, so it turns out, and what he'd do is get some guy to play the music for him ONE time, then Buddy would master it like a monster. Altho, I don't know if it was any different for Gene...But Buddy Rich was still great aswell. Also, Louie Bellson is awesome too. GREAT drummer.
 

Rudy McRudster

Pioneer Member
Re: Genie Krupa

I think they're both great in different aspects. Krupa pioneered drumming and is responsible for a lot of drumming today. Hell, we might not be on this forum if it wasn't for Krupa. And he was surely a better gentleman, it's not hard to beat out Rich in that aspect.
But Buddy Rich was just a great player. He took what Krupa started and ran with it to become one of the most famous and influential drummers to ever live. I have to disagree that Rich was not musical, when I look at a lot of his solos, I see a lot of music and soul mixed in with his technique.
In my opinion, Gene Krupa created drumming as we know it today, but Buddy Rich made it enjoyable and fun. That's just my opinion.
 

Drummer_Boy

Senior Member
Re: Genie Krupa

Rudy McRudster said:
I think they're both great in different aspects. Krupa pioneered drumming and is responsible for a lot of drumming today. Hell, we might not be on this forum if it wasn't for Krupa. And he was surely a better gentleman, it's not hard to beat out Rich in that aspect.
But Buddy Rich was just a great player. He took what Krupa started and ran with it to become one of the most famous and influential drummers to ever live. I have to disagree that Rich was not musical, when I look at a lot of his solos, I see a lot of music and soul mixed in with his technique.
In my opinion, Gene Krupa created drumming as we know it today, but Buddy Rich made it enjoyable and fun. That's just my opinion.
You know Rudy, that's actually a REALLY good way to put it.
 

Hanky12

Junior Member
Gene Krupa the music man

Gene Krupa once said if the crowd can't dance while i'm soloing i feel like i failed playing that solo. This guy didn't have the speed Buddy Rich had but he was by far the most musical drummer that ever lived. Try playing medium tempo eighth notes and swing them on a snare drum Record it and listen it's not easy to swing it liKe you think. Krupa had that touch better than anyone except maybe for Chick Web The fast drummers like Buddy Rich, Mike Mangini, Art Verdi, Virgil Donati,Flo whats his face Billy Cobham, Dennis Chambers and the rest couldn't hold a candle to Gene's touch. Don't get me wrong i admire these guys for what they can do but Gene is the music man
 

NouveauCliche

Senior Member
They're both incredible musicians and drumming icons in their own right. I'd rather not get into the whole Krupa Ns. Rich thing in this forum...you know...the one titled "Gene Krupa"....not "Gene Vs. Buddy."

Gene was an incredible showman...every time I watch him I'm completely rivited by his general personality on the drums! He obviously isn't the biggest chops hound of the time, but he was no slouch either. He had enough tools to get the job done and make sure everyone was enjoying it! I love Gene's playing and I respect his musical body as a whole. Plus...in every interview he seems like such a cool guy!
 
Top