Gene Krupa

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Happy B'Day in drummer heaven to the great Gene Bertram Krupa....
Born: January 15, 1909, Chicago, IL
Died: October 16, 1973, Yonkers, NY

The first drummer I remember seeing and being amazed by.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Just finished listening to a CD of Gene. To me he was the epitome of rhythm and showmanship. Not as technical as Buddy but a hell of a lot more fun and innovative. Thanks Gene for giving us tunable toms, hi hats, and drumming with a smile while making it look so easy.

ncc

Silver Member
Happy B'Day in drummer heaven to the great Gene Bertram Krupa....
Born: January 15, 1909, Chicago, IL
Died: October 16, 1973, Yonkers, NY

The first drummer I remember seeing and being amazed by.
Ditto. In Atlantic City on the Steel Pier in the 60s.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Just finished listening to a CD of Gene. To me he was the epitome of rhythm and showmanship. Not as technical as Buddy but a hell of a lot more fun and innovative. Thanks Gene for giving us tunable toms, hi hats, and drumming with a smile while making it look so easy.
Always liked Gene way more than Buddy...my "Trinity" in percussion is Gene Krupa - Neil Peart - John Pratt

interesting that his b-day is roughly a week from Neils death day...I hope they are in heaven together talking shop

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I feel like there have been some "cornerstone" guys who really turned the idea of drum set around.

James "Red Happy" Bolton sort of started it in a way, or whoever was the first New Orleans guy to put marching drums on the ground and play them by himself

Krupa was the first to elevate the idea of showmanship, and was probably the first to sell the drum set to a larger market (?)

I would say Max Roach might have been the cornerstone "prog" guy(?) Or Art Blakey?

Rich was the cornerstone guy for speed and flash

Ringo was the second cornerstone for selling the kit to an even larger audience

Bonham and Peart elevated what Ringo was doing, but were (in my opinion) better players as well

I think that Charlie Benante or Dave Lombardo were the next cornerstones of speed

sort of a thing that goes through my mind...who were turning points in the world of drum set?