Geed me thy knowledge

BKIA

I have a great desire to get back into the beat kicking industry after a long hiatus and require some instruction as to the most appropriate means to effectively work myself back up to a level where people will listen on purpose.

I live in a small apartment which means budget and space are limited, but I am not burden by caring the slightest of my neighbours. I was planning on starting out small and working my way up to a full set. Is it a bad idea get a snare and work on stick control and rhythm or should I punch the beaten path in the throat and scrounge up a tabla?

Herr Brun

Getting a snare is WAY better than not getting one. I would definitely buy myself a snare first, then keeping an eye on ebay and the likes (like the classifieds on this forum). Snare drum should be priority one, then bass drum, then hats, then a cymbal or two and toms. If you can wait it out (don't need it RIGHT AWAY), you can probably get quite a good drumset really cheap.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
the snare is a great idea since most new and used drum sets now come as "shell packs" with the bass drum and the toms. Work on the rudiments until they feel good again and then b uild the rest of your set as the space and money afford. And Welcome back

BKIA

I would just like to express my gratitude, for this is the only forum I have ever been a part of with actual answers and honest responses. Its beautiful in its own right.