Gear you wished existed...

Maybe this already exists but for floor tom drum cases, a side pocket to put your floor tom legs, preferable with a three-way pocket for each leg. If you are using memory locks, you can't flatten them out together with the tom and you don't want the unattached legs sloshing around inside the case so it usually goes in another gear bag which is sort of dumb.

Anti-Vibration cymbal arms. I keep a small splash mounted on my bass drum and it rattles with every bass drum hit. I wish their was a shock absorber somewhere near the tilter, perhaps filled with liquid, that would not transmit the vibrations to the cymbal threads themselves.

Telescoping floor tom legs. You could adjust the length of your floor tom legs from, say 15" all the way to 30". Sometimes legs are too short, especially on shallower floor toms that have brackets higher up on the shell. Conversely, sometimes the legs are too long, on an 18" deep floor tom with brackets down near the reso hoop, the drum looks silly with 75% + of the leg through the bracket. It would telescope just like a cymbal stand with the adjuster down near the floor, so it wouldn't be in the way of the bracket. Also, you could telescope it down and leave it in the bracket so it would easily fit in a case (and solve s1212z's request above). Plus, if you could leave them in their brackets, you would never have to worry about forgetting your floor tom legs ever again, and they wouldn't be buried under 35 other stand pieces in your hardware case when you need them.

And finally, (this may already exist-not sure) but an open ended drum key like the open end of a crescent wrench. Sometimes it's darn near impossible to get at certain adjustments (usually on memory locks) with a standard drum key because there is simply no room.

Last edited:
Maybe this already exists but for floor tom drum cases, a side pocket to put your floor tom legs, preferable with a three-way pocket for each leg. If you are using memory locks, you can't flatten them out together with the tom and you don't want the unattached legs sloshing around inside the case so it usually goes in another gear bag which is sort of dumb.

This is a GREAT idea, but would tough to implement. Most floor toms are between 12" and 16" deep, and most floor tom legs are around 21"-23". The pocket to hold the legs would have to be longer/higher/wider than the case, either vertically or horizontally and would make it awkward to carry and transport.

I think the telescoping legs would work better (see my post above).

I wish sonor phonics were still in production...as well as a legless snare sand....wait a minute..doesnt gibralter have that?.

The pocket to hold the legs would have to be longer/higher/wider than the case, either vertically or horizontally and would make it awkward to carry and transport.

I would opt to have it vertically. With the extra length, you can make a loop attachment that connects a rack tom case, like a 12/14 or 13/16 and carry it as a single unite.

I like your idea too, ideally have it 3rd party so it would retro fit any brand. The telescope legs need to be hollow, reminds me of a camera tripod. No reason for floor tom legs need to so heavy anyways, lighter the better if possible.

I'd love to see a few things from Ludwig... TRUE Bonzo replica kits - i.e. a thermogloss Legacy Maple with a 15x26" kick, and a Green Sparkle Legacy Maple with a 6-lug 10x14" rack tom, both with period-correct repro hardware. I'd also like new metal snares with 1.6mm hoops and larger shell diameters that negate the need for lug gaskets, and the return of Twin-Channel Die Cast hoops.

You know what, I was just wishing that there was a floor tom leg case/bag that rolled up like one of those knife sheath things.

I wish someone would make a power hi hat stand.
It would have a cam and a mechanism that would double or triple the power of the stroke.
And it would increase the loudness of the sound of the hi hats. "Chick" "CHICK" "CHICK"

15” floortoms should definitely be widely available.
Customisable cymbal and shell packs whilst retaining cost benefits.
More 13” snares plus more wood varieties - as you can buy any metal under the sun these days.
Bring back bad boy counter-weighted boom stands, I like to see large lumps of unnecessary black steel on my cymbal stands that won’t budge in a hurricane.

15” floortoms should definitely be widely available.
Customisable cymbal and shell packs whilst retaining cost benefits.
More 13” snares plus more wood varieties - as you can buy any metal under the sun these days.
Bring back bad boy counter-weighted boom stands, I like to see large lumps of unnecessary black steel on my cymbal stands that won’t budge in a hurricane.
I'd just love to see more size variation across the board in midlevel lines. Back in the early 2000s, you could get Exports, Sessions, Stage Customs, Force 3003s, Accent CS Custom Elite, etc. in a multitude of diameters/depths and build a truly custom setup. Now everything is either prepackaged shell packs only, or offers very limited size variation.

I've only been playing for a very short time now, but even still, there are two pieces of gear I wished existed:

1. Promark Natural 5As with an ACORN tip (I personally don't like the feel, sound or look of the teardrop shape)

2. A drum throne that has both a swivel and a lock feature (meaning you can make stop swiveling if you would like). I don't know if it's even possible but hey

Those are two pieces of gear that I wished were a thing.

What about you? Are is there anything drum gear related that you wished companies made?
It kind of exists now but way back before it was a thing I wanted a drum module that can load your own samples libraries without a computer, I had this idea since they came out with Superior Drummer (the original not the current one). Now I don't mind using a computer live since I have played many times for hours at a time without a single computer issue, using not only the software but also a daw, a couple of open web pages and other miscellaneous apps open all at the same time and never had even the slightest issue. I of course going live would disable windows sounds and alerts, and would only have the drum software open and no internet connection, so I am pretty confident that I would be ok. but if I didn't have to use a computer, I could just have a module that I can say have an SSD bay where I can put the entire Superior Drummer on one drive, maybe have other drives for say.. Steven Slate Drums, or Mondo Drums.. I am aware that you can load some samples to the Alesis module and some other modules, but loading sample vs having a full fledged Drum VST is a whole different thing... I guess a man can dream. a And why would anyone buy Pearl Mimic when you can have Steven Slate 5 and a much cheaper module? (unless you want the not have a computer present scenario but you can also use the Alesis to load those samples), I am not sure if you could load the entire SSD5 though..

Remote controlled levitating drum cases that I can float directly into my vehicle after gigs. Shouldn’t be too difficult to invent or expensive to market!

Changeable finishes. Like a knob that you turn that goes from black to white and has every color in between. There is another knob for fades, one for glitters, one for flat/matte/gloss. No hard work, just turn some knobs.

Changeable finishes. Like a knob that you turn that goes from black to white and has every color in between. There is another knob for fades, one for glitters, one for flat/matte/gloss. No hard work, just turn some knobs.

That is a cool idea!

I was watching one of those car customizing shows, "Rust to Riches" or something like that and they painted a car with a paint that is powered and lights up. I thought that would be cool to paint drums with.

they have those in the marching world...they don't have knobs, but it is a wrap that sort of "clings" to the drum shell

It is weird that they have not made them for drum set yet

Trapezoid shaped drums (top view) that allow a lot of toms to be placed next to each other in a curved pattern around the drummer
View attachment 101845
I have an idea that is similar, sort of. Inspired by George Jetson:
tenor.png

So have one drum, it starts at 10" diameter on one side and curves to 16" diameter at the other, but is long so it wraps around the player. The single head has infinite sounds just depending on where you hit it. There would be no more concern with intervals, its built into the drum. This is for toms only, obviously. A snare and kick(s) is still necessary.

You could at least do colour changing very easily now, which one presumes could interact with spotlights if done right

I'd like a clip on snare, so you can clip the metal snares on to the bottom of any drum.....

And a throne that just does its job well and isn't super expensive. Holds still unless moved, has pneumatic adjustments that work, has a back that doesn't require tools to attach or remove (ideally one you can change mid-show without too much hassle), and motorcycle please.

Lugs and mounts that didn't stop drums nestling like a matryoshka when being stored/transported etc

Electro-magnetically tuned drum heads controllable by an app on my phone.

I really think these will be a thing in a hundred years

This!!! Except, if I'm not mistaken if you start adding any magnetic fields to a stage the guitar amps will suffer. I'm not sure if this idea would be enough for that, and I'm also not saying that's a bad thing ? Even these guys made me wonder how close you could set up to an amp!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It kind of exists now but way back before it was a thing I wanted a drum module that can load your own samples libraries without a computer, I had this idea since they came out with Superior Drummer (the original not the current one). Now I don't mind using a computer live since I have played many times for hours at a time without a single computer issue, using not only the software but also a daw, a couple of open web pages and other miscellaneous apps open all at the same time and never had even the slightest issue. I of course going live would disable windows sounds and alerts, and would only have the drum software open and no internet connection, so I am pretty confident that I would be ok. but if I didn't have to use a computer, I could just have a module that I can say have an SSD bay where I can put the entire Superior Drummer on one drive, maybe have other drives for say.. Steven Slate Drums, or Mondo Drums.. I am aware that you can load some samples to the Alesis module and some other modules, but loading sample vs having a full fledged Drum VST is a whole different thing... I guess a man can dream. a And why would anyone buy Pearl Mimic when you can have Steven Slate 5 and a much cheaper module? (unless you want the not have a computer present scenario but you can also use the Alesis to load those samples), I am not sure if you could load the entire SSD5 though..
I agree- the holy grail would be a module where you can load whichever library you please.

The Pearl Mimic addresses this issue to a point but like you said, it's hideously expensive and not really worth it just to save yourself the hassle of setting up an extra laptop with Steven Slate on it.

A lot of e-drummers swear it's the best module on the market at the moment though. If money was no object I'd give it go...

I always wanted to seea regular wood shell that's got a regular snare side snare bed cut on the bottom. It could be a free floater too. The batter edge of the shell is milled flat. It's grooved to accept a removeable bearing edge ring, that sticks up obviously, that can be made from wood, metal, fiberglass etc. Different profiles and BE widths, 30, 45, 60 degree edges, you get the picture.

I imagine the drum largely taking on the quality of whatever bearing edge ring is used. That's a total guess. I would want flat edges with a groove and ring on both sides of the tom shells. I could mix edges. It would definitely expand the tonal possibilities of just one set into many. Marketer's wet dream too. No more cutting bearing edges, I buy them.

Back