Gear you wished existed...

organworthyplayer337

I've only been playing for a very short time now, but even still, there are two pieces of gear I wished existed:

1. Promark Natural 5As with an ACORN tip (I personally don't like the feel, sound or look of the teardrop shape)

2. A drum throne that has both a swivel and a lock feature (meaning you can make stop swiveling if you would like). I don't know if it's even possible but hey

Those are two pieces of gear that I wished were a thing.

What about you? Are is there anything drum gear related that you wished companies made?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
2. A drum throne that has both a swivel and a lock feature (meaning you can make stop swiveling if you would like). I don't know if it's even possible but hey
I used to have an office chair that did this. No reason at all it isnt possible. It might be expensive however.

I cant think of any non existent gear that I wish existed. Maybe free gear. Yeah, that doesnt exist.

Fritz Frigursson

I've only been playing for a very short time now, but even still, there are two pieces of gear I wished existed:

1. Promark Natural 5As with an ACORN tip (I personally don't like the feel, sound or look of the teardrop shape)

Those are two pieces of gear that I wished were a thing.

What about you? Are is there anything drum gear related that you wished companies made?
Yamaha DS840 has a swivel stop. I have one in my studio. It's great.

I wish brands still made internal mufflers. It was such a good idea, why did they take it away? Also I want to see more aluminium die cast hoops like Yamaha is doing.

I wish E drums became competitive. Nowadays all brands are slacking and "dripfeeding" us features, it's not great. They are holding back on major breakthroughs because they want to make as much money possible selling old technology. Kinda like Nord (piano brand) STILL selling their keyboards with 1GB of memory. We're in 2021, 1GB of memory for sounds is not even near acceptable.

A simple cowbell holder that mounts to the bass drum hoop and which has a rod long enough that you don't have to choose between 1) off-setting your floor tom all the way to the right or 2) constantly hitting your knee. The existing rods might be long enough for a 22" bass drum, but I'm 6' 3" and play a smaller bass drum - come on manufactureres, you can do this!

dwsabianguy

I'd like to see Birch Absolutes come back exactly the same as they were, but I know that's not going to happen, so I wish Canopus would offer some aluminum die-cast hoops as an option on their birch kits. I'd seriously consider selling ALL of my drums to get a shell bank of birch Canopus with aluminum hoops.

I too would like to see a throne that swivels, but does NOT wobble or bounce. Nitro thrones don't work for me. However, I did have a Tama Ergo Rider that swiveled a bit, and my current spindle Roc-N-Soc (which has their new seat bracket) can be loosened just a little bit so it swivels a bit. But neither of those were really designed to swivel, per se.

I'd like to see a kick drum pedal that has an adjustment to compensate for different-depth bass drum hoops. Where you can slide the hoop clamp onto a Gretsch hoop and have it feel the same as a Ludwig; the Gretsch hoops are at least a quarter-inch shorter than my Ludwig and Yamaha hoops.

I wish brands still made internal mufflers. It was such a good idea, why did they take it away?

Because they usually rattle like crazy, and don't really muffle a drum so much as mute it. I've met a grand total of two internal mufflers that didn't immediately choke the drum: a 70s Sonor D454, and the red felt baseball bat on the Ludwig Jazz Festival snares. The 2nd Gen Benny Greb Sonor snares have two built in, Ludwig have internal mufflers available, and you can retrofit your kit yourself; it's not like nobody's making them.

Quai34

Yamaha DS840 has a swivel stop. I have one in my studio. It's great.

I wish brands still made internal mufflers. It was such a good idea, why did they take it away? Also I want to see more aluminium die cast hoops like Yamaha is doing.

I wish E drums became competitive. Nowadays all brands are slacking and "dripfeeding" us features, it's not great. They are holding back on major breakthroughs because they want to make as much money possible selling old technology. Kinda like Nord (piano brand) STILL selling their keyboards with 1GB of memory. We're in 2021, 1GB of memory for sounds is not even near acceptable.
Well, I have a Nord Stage 2 and I can agree on this one, I will wait for the Stage 4 to upgrade my Stage...

I'd like to see a configured kit (not custom) with toms that go 10", 12", 15". For me, 15" is the most versatile floor tom size there is and it deserves to become standardised. And while we're at it, I'm curious to hear what a 9" tom would sound like - I've searched on YouTube and can't find any examples of such a drum existing.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I wish Yamaha would partner with a decent cymbal vendor for hat/ride/crash, and release an all-inclusive four piece SC bundle that included Crosstown hardware and was $1k delivered to your door.

This way, I'd be able to answer "First kit" & "What to buy my kid?" threads with a SKU rather than a spreadsheet.

What to buy? Buy this - "BAM!". It's a thousand bucks. Suck it up grandpa.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Tama 1st chairs do this. There's a plastic part that goes into the seat bracket that allows the seat to turn and not wobble. I have mine tight enough so that it doesn't move unless I make it move.

iCe

I just want to order some add-ons to my kit :(
Pearl (suddenly) discontinued the option to order shells a year or 2 back or so

Fritz Frigursson

Well, I have a Nord Stage 2 and I can agree on this one, I will wait for the Stage 4 to upgrade my Stage...
Stage 3 EX should come out tomorrow (should). Also, I want to pick up a Piano 4, but how come th Stage has more piano storage than the Piano lol... makes no sense

Fritz Frigursson

I'd like to see Birch Absolutes come back exactly the same as they were, but I know that's not going to happen, so I wish Canopus would offer some aluminum die-cast hoops as an option on their birch kits. I'd seriously consider selling ALL of my drums to get a shell bank of birch Canopus with aluminum hoops.

I too would like to see a throne that swivels, but does NOT wobble or bounce. Nitro thrones don't work for me. However, I did have a Tama Ergo Rider that swiveled a bit, and my current spindle Roc-N-Soc (which has their new seat bracket) can be loosened just a little bit so it swivels a bit. But neither of those were really designed to swivel, per se.

I'd like to see a kick drum pedal that has an adjustment to compensate for different-depth bass drum hoops. Where you can slide the hoop clamp onto a Gretsch hoop and have it feel the same as a Ludwig; the Gretsch hoops are at least a quarter-inch shorter than my Ludwig and Yamaha hoops.

Because they usually rattle like crazy, and don't really muffle a drum so much as mute it. I've met a grand total of two internal mufflers that didn't immediately choke the drum: a 70s Sonor D454, and the red felt baseball bat on the Ludwig Jazz Festival snares. The 2nd Gen Benny Greb Sonor snares have two built in, Ludwig have internal mufflers available, and you can retrofit your kit yourself; it's not like nobody's making them.
Well they could innovate on that and develop the muffler to 21 century standards and tollerances, it would have taken off.

Agree on the BCA. There should be a birch drum from Yamaha that has hybrid maple hardware.

moodman

Since I like to switch out snare drums, I'd like to see a stand that could change height quickly and incrementally, to keep different sized snares at the right playing height. I once modified some flex frames, lifting snares to different heights in the same basket stand, it worked but was a bit of a pita, more stuff to pack and mess with at a gig.

someguy01

We're in 2021, 1GB of memory for sounds is not even near acceptable.
I'd have to agree considering my wife's phone is 3 years old and has a 1TB micro sd expanded memory.
Perhaps the folks at Nord should visit CES.