Gear Sell Off, Best Way To Go About It

mikyok

Platinum Member
Cut a long story short my lockup has too much stuff in it I'm not likely to use ever again. I've never sold anything other than through a shop or to mates.

There are a couple of kits (nothing special) to clear out as well as cymbals that I've fallen out of love with and have been sitting in a bag for 10 years plus as well as all the other crap you acquire over time. Seems pointless to have gear that isn't being played.

Is it better to sell a kit complete with cymbals for a quick shift or do as separates?

Cut a long story short my lockup has too much stuff in it I'm not likely to use ever again. I've never sold anything other than through a shop or to mates.

There are a couple of kits (nothing special) to clear out as well as cymbals that I've fallen out of love with and have been sitting in a bag for 10 years plus as well as all the other crap you acquire over time. Seems pointless to have gear that isn't being played.

Is it better to sell a kit complete with cymbals for a quick shift or do as separates?

Unless you have a buyer in mind who wants exactly a certain setup with everything on it, break it up into shell packs (with or without hardware), snares, and cymbals. I'm going to buy a cymbal I want if I see it being sold loose; I'm not going to get the kit for it. Likewise, if I see a kit with a bunch of cymbals I don't particularly want, it'll be a much harder purchase for me to justify (to myself or the missus).

Unless you have a buyer in mind who wants exactly a certain setup with everything on it, break it up into shell packs (with or without hardware), snares, and cymbals. I'm going to buy a cymbal I want if I see it being sold loose; I'm not going to get the kit for it. Likewise, if I see a kit with a bunch of cymbals I don't particularly want, it'll be a much harder purchase for me to justify (to myself or the missus).

Probably the best thing to do, the main kit I'm shifting was someone's project that I got in a swap deal, custom jobs don't have much sell on value. The shells are really nice birch that had just had the edges re-cut. It doesn't owe me a penny as I've played it all over the UK but since I've got a little travel kit it's redundant.

I may do the good deed and give them to a good home where they'll get played.

The cymbals will move fairly easily as they're all Paiste/Zildjian in good nick. Failing that I can part ex them.

It depends on what it is.

You'll get more money selling separately, but some items, mainly hardware, might be hard to get rid of. If it's higher level gear I'd probably still do that.

If it's less expensive stuff then you'll be able to sell something complete to a beginner. Competitive market, but anyone with a little guidance will know that you'll get better stuff used than new for the same price. Most will not care too much about the configuration.

You'll get much more by giving it away free rather than selling.

If you aren't strapped for cash, I highly recommend it.

You'll get much more by giving it away free rather than selling.

If you aren't strapped for cash, I highly recommend it.

Strapped for space more than anything as we're looking to get rid of the lockup in the long run. Bringing 5 kits home might turn wifey into ex-wifey :)

If you need room more than money, try to find a kid who is wanting to learn and give them away.

There's more money to be made breaking up the drum set, hardware, etc. You can also mention in your ad(s) that you also have hardware and cymbals and are willing to sell a package deal (that is, if you really are willing to sell as a package deal).

I've had my best luck with Craigslist. More recently, I've been trying to sell some gear on Facebook sale pages/marketplace. Since you are in the UK, I'm sure there are a handful of drummers that would want whatever you have b/c equipment is so sparse and hard to find.

Best of luck!

Well it's took all of 5 minutes to give the shells away, I'm in the wrong job!

Put the feelers out and my friend who's a teacher has took my arm off, our wonderful government decimated funding for the arts. They'll be going into education and hopefully going towards ending the plague that is knackered old Pearl Exports in schools.

Nice to know they'll be used in plays and concerts instead of gathering dust in the lockup.

Well it's took all of 5 minutes to give the shells away, I'm in the wrong job!

Put the feelers out and my friend who's a teacher has took my arm off, our wonderful government decimated funding for the arts. They'll be going into education and hopefully going towards ending the plague that is knackered old Pearl Exports in schools.

Nice to know they'll be used in plays and concerts instead of gathering dust in the lockup.

Excellent ! Can’t go wrong there. They’ll get used by kids and maybe inspire one of the next great drummers .

Excellent ! Can’t go wrong there. They’ll get used by kids and maybe inspire one of the next great drummers .

Steady on this is Dudley I'm talking about.

Best they've ever managed was Jason Bonham.........joking before anyone get their knickers in a twist!

That's great man. Warms my heart. I'm convinced it's the best thing to do with unused gear.

Good karma coming your way.

Good luck getting that arm re-attached :)

I decided to get rid of another batch of equipment that's just been sitting around in the lockup doing nothing for years. Quite a lot of stuff has made it's way onto ebay, those of you who have me on fb have probably seen a couple of things get shared.

Rant coming................

As a recovering G.A.S addict I haven't had to deal with the general public very often when it comes to selling stuff. I can already feel a relapse coming on! God people are annoying!

I put a kit up for sale, custom build so not gonna command a huge fee but you're getting a lot of bang for buck build wise. Asked for £350 start, had usual gig knocks for 15 years of gigging recording........had somebody put a bid in without reading the description followed by 20 questions which were already answered in the description and photos then a bid retraction with every excuse under the sun. (Does this guy know what £350 gets you drum wise?) I'd even offered to travel to meet him with the kit as he missed the collection only bit and lived 150 miles away (that's a long distance in England)

On the plus side my giant beats went like hot cakes and the Istanbul hats went too. Touch wood it looks like everything else should get sold hassle free hopefully!

Why does selling stuff have to be so stressful?

I decided to get rid of another batch of equipment that's just been sitting around in the lockup doing nothing for years. Quite a lot of stuff has made it's way onto ebay, those of you who have me on fb have probably seen a couple of things get shared.

As a recovering G.A.S addict I haven't had to deal with the general public very often when it comes to selling stuff. I can already feel a relapse coming on! God people are annoying!

I put a kit up for sale, custom build so not gonna command a huge fee but you're getting a lot of bang for buck build wise. Asked for £350 start, had usual gig knocks for 15 years of gigging recording........had somebody put a bid in without reading the description followed by 20 questions which were already answered in the description and photos then a bid retraction with every excuse under the sun. (Does this guy know what £350 gets you drum wise?) I'd even offered to travel to meet him with the kit as he missed the collection only bit and lived 150 miles away (that's a long distance in England)

On the plus side my giant beats went like hot cakes and the Istanbul hats went too. Touch wood it looks like everything else should get sold hassle free hopefully!

Man, I missed out on some Giant Beats. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

Man, I missed out on some Giant Beats. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

I'm just reviving an old thread I started back end of last year when I was beginning the 12 steps of a recovering GAS addict. Unless you were on eBay Saturday night you'd have missed them.

They are 10 years old, have been played regularly but zero issues, sold as a pair in an hour.

Honestly, I do a ton of buying and selling. It is stressful, but eBay I think is 10 times worse. What you described is super common on eBay and why I have stopped using it. For me the combination of the increase in fees and all the hassle wasn't worth it. I pretty much only sell on Reverb, though that has its own hassles sometimes. Every once in a while you get those types of people, but it isn't near as much as eBay. Also, Reverb actually has some good protections in place for the seller, where eBay seems to be all about the buyer.

Honestly, I do a ton of buying and selling. It is stressful, but eBay I think is 10 times worse. What you described is super common on eBay and why I have stopped using it. For me the combination of the increase in fees and all the hassle wasn't worth it. I pretty much only sell on Reverb, though that has its own hassles sometimes. Every once in a while you get those types of people, but it isn't near as much as eBay. Also, Reverb actually has some good protections in place for the seller, where eBay seems to be all about the buyer.

The worst part about selling gear on eBay is that you are dealing with musicians who have to be some of the flakiest people I know. I was selling a piece of gear for a substantial sum one time, a guy bought it, and then emailed me and said, "Found one cheaper somewhere else. Sorry." All I could do was leave negative feedback and re-list it.

I was selling a guitar one time, and I had two people in a bidding war (good for me!). Well the guy who won it backed out IMMEDIATELY after he won it, and so I decided to do a "second chance" offer to the person second in line. He avoided me like the plague. Why? Because about a week before, eBay sent out a mass email to everyone saying "If someone offers you a second chance offer after an auction ends, avoid it because it's probably a scam."

I only do Craigslist now. I prefer to deal with locals and cash transactions.

The worst part about selling gear on eBay is that you are dealing with musicians who have to be some of the flakiest people I know. I was selling a piece of gear for a substantial sum one time, a guy bought it, and then emailed me and said, "Found one cheaper somewhere else. Sorry." All I could do was leave negative feedback and re-list it.

I was selling a guitar one time, and I had two people in a bidding war (good for me!). Well the guy who won it backed out IMMEDIATELY after he won it, and so I decided to do a "second chance" offer to the person second in line. He avoided me like the plague. Why? Because about a week before, eBay sent out a mass email to everyone saying "If someone offers you a second chance offer after an auction ends, avoid it because it's probably a scam."

I only do Craigslist now. I prefer to deal with locals and cash transactions.

Unfortunately I don't even do Craigslist here anymore either. Usually turned out about like what you described with eBay stuff. People calling you, setting up a time but showing up like 30 minutes late. Playing your gear for like 30 minutes asking all sorts of questions, then trying to renegotiate after wasting over an hour of your time.... that is if they even show.

I sell photo gear on eBay. No problems ‘cuz my gear isn’t for beginners and buyers tend to know what to look for.

I sell drums & audio gear on Reverb and am very satisfied with their marketplace. Again, no problems, but a couple buyers never rated the transaction.

Transactions in both marketplaces get plenty of communication from me, plus I pack & box like it’s going to hell and back.

I sell garage-sale items on CraigsList, but it’s maybe once every few years.

I take old electronics to a recycling center, where the irony is piled 6’ high and 30’ wide with old gear that cost thousands of dollars when new.

I only do Craigslist now. I prefer to deal with locals and cash transactions

Just cheap bastards that want everything for nothing.....also see millennials :). Musicians, but not ones that'll go far!

We don't have reverb here or even craigslist. There's gumtree but it doesn't have the footfall of ebay.

Cash is always nice but when you're meeting up with strangers I like having the do-re-mi part already taken care of. It was bliss to meet up with an old mate last week and do some straight Paiste for Zildjian swaps, everyone went away happy.

Back