Will require transportation from USA.
And housing.
And citizenship or a work visa.
And probably some kind of employment.

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_140217470~2_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20210609_140217470~2_copy_600x800.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 4
I was just thinking how funny it might be if when answering an ad for drummer, they would ask what kind of drums you play. What if you said Summit, Q, Virtue, Guru, A&F, Sakae, Canopus, Jenks Martin, or even Craviotto? How many non drummers have even heard of those? :unsure:

I would immediately ask them "what brand of instrument do you play?" just to see what happens

my wife can name:
Pearl, Tama, Vic Firth and "the Z company that makes the cymbals"

I was just thinking how funny it might be if when answering an ad for drummer, they would ask what kind of drums you play. What if you said Summit, Q, Virtue, Guru, A&F, Sakae, Canopus, Jenks Martin, or even Craviotto? How many non drummers have even heard of those? :unsure:
I mean, out of context—if someone on the street said, excuse me, have you heard of these companies?—I would have probably said I hadn't, at least up to Craviotto. And I've never actually seen most of those in real life and only heard of them on boards or in Modern Drummer; I mean, I've read "Canopus" a hundred times but have never actually heard it pronounced. And at least two of those are still unknown to me, really. And there are a few other well-known companies—Dream and Aquarian come to mind—where I obviously know who and what they are but their names are also common enough that I wouldn't necessarily think of the cymbal/head company right away.

I asked my wife what drum-related companies she could mention and she immediately said Zildjian and Gretsch. She was trying to come up with the name Paiste but couldn't quite get it. She 100% knows Yamaha, Pearl and Ludwig and is going to be so mad when they come to her out of the blue at some point in the next few hours or days. Probably the next time she walks into the basement and see the Yamaha bass drum head sitting against the wall behind my desk.

She also mentioned, as she was trying to think of any she could, that she knows Rickenbacker, Fender and Martin are guitar brands. She brought me my first guitar, a Strat, so I'm not surprised by that, but I am a bit surprised by the other two. And she immediately got Les Paul but couldn't quite grab Gibson. I wouldn't be surprised if that suddenly occurs to her at some point too.

And what about the drummers who want to apply for a new band but only own an Electro kit ;), Roland or Yam ?

Tell them if they're interested, go buy an instrument & make sure they can transport themselves. We can take care of the rest.

Transporting themselves, it sounds so unimportant but is actually important as a differentiator. Anyone who's been in a band for a length of time and has had to take up the slack for someone without their own means of transport realises this.

Transporting themselves, it sounds so unimportant but is actually important as a differentiator. Anyone who's been in a band for a length of time and has had to take up the slack for someone without their own means of transport realises this.
I don't have a drivers license nor car, because of several reasons.

Im glad I usually end up in bands that have backliner kits or space to take the gear. But still i wished i had the means.

The nights I had to wait for someone or the stress that someone doesn't show up or was late are plenty 😬

So my advise to kids. learn to read 9regardless if you will use it), play an melodic instrument AND make sure you get a drivers license.

Out of curiosity, how would you deal with someone who sends you videos and they are ACTUALLY AWESOME, but no gear?
How do you know they're awesome if they have no gear? That's a Freddie Freeloader! Even bigger red flag!
Just come out the other side of this after years of singers that didn't own a mic, pa or a car. Extra gear, extra mileage but they expect an equal slice of the pie!

I know typically when you play brand/company that people don’t know about, they assume it’s cheap. At least in the bass/guitar world.

If it ain’t Gibson or Fender, they get worried
That's why everybody should have one black and one white bd reso plus a bunch of removeable brand decals. Just remove the export badges and slap a ludwig or gretsch decal on the reso. :)

I know typically when you play brand/company that people don’t know about, they assume it’s cheap. At least in the bass/guitar world.

If it ain’t Gibson or Fender, they get worried
I had this exact problem trying to sell a copy of a BlackMachine guitar. It was same specs exactly, made by a well known UK luthier. I didn't get a lick of interest. Then a friend actually plays it, buys it straight away.

Out of curiosity, how would you deal with someone who sends you videos and they are ACTUALLY AWESOME, but no gear? todaygoldrate
Per my experience, that's an 'I'm an addict' red flag.

Never leave such a person alone with anything you are concerned about losing.

After trawling through multiple applicants, & 5 shortlist auditions, we've found our guy 🥳

All at the auditions were very good players, but as always, you way up the inevitable plus & minus points.

We've ended up with a superb & hugely experienced player who delivers excellent harmony vocals. He only moved into our area a few months back, so not known on the local scene. A lovely guy, but definitely with a stage presence.

Oh, & he plays Rickenbacker 👍

Rick announcement 900.jpg

After trawling through multiple applicants, & 5 shortlist auditions, we've found our guy 🥳

All at the auditions were very good players, but as always, you way up the inevitable plus & minus points.

We've ended up with a superb & hugely experienced player who delivers excellent harmony vocals. He only moved into our area a few months back, so not known on the local scene. A lovely guy, but definitely with a stage presence.

Oh, & he plays Rickenbacker 👍

View attachment 106327
Don’t know what anyone else thinks but I believe there comes a time when everything just falls in line, we live an' learn from our mistakes…and now you’re all fired up again! :unsure: Congrats! (y) :D

Don’t know what anyone else thinks but I believe there comes a time when everything just falls in line,
Thanks :) Yes, things usually fall into line eventually if you stick at it with a degree of focus & realism, but there's the inevitable falling apart process that precedes it :(

In our case, the transition has been very cordial & professional this time around. That's not always the case.

he has a bass clef tattoo, he's in!!!!! no seriously good luck, he just landed a sweet gig with your band!

Back