Gear red flag - Update!

Ransan

My resume would say..... I can play all that classic rock, motown, and funk from the 70's/80's. I have pretty good gear but because I'm older, we have to keep the sets short because I have to pee a lot.
Lol that sounds great!

My uncle said a lady he knows once contracted a plumber over another because his resume on Angies list said he used a complete suit of Snap On tools as opposed to Ridgid, Knipex, Milwaukee, etc...

Careful - that’s all we’re asking around these parts.

Exactly. I have been a member of another drum forum where gear is the overriding focus. Gear acquisition, flipping and outright hoarding is the norm. Some guys have five, ten, even thirty kits. Some have more than fifty snare drums. The thing is, if you do actually every get to see a video or sound file, their playing is usually average or below.
If I had the money, that would absolutely be me. :)

just a reflection of the times we live in...image is more important than substance every where

I mean, that's been the case since at least the 50s, at times, as well. Otherwise, none of us would ever have heard of, say, Pat Boone.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member

Lee-Bro

Indeed!

Agreed.

We do ask for video / audio. You'd be surprised how many have little or non available.

Having been through the screening/auditioning process myself for my group, I'm no longer surprised by people who apply, yet don't supply the requested/required video or audio clips. If they don't have clips, they don't get to come out for an audition.

As a side note to the gear issue: we auditioned for a new guitarist at the beginning of 2020 (pre-Covid). We're a multi-racial group and a visit to any of our social media accounts or our website would make this obvious to anyone. One of the guitarists who emailed us had photos all over his social media of him playing a rebel flag painted guitar. He did not get an invite.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Back when I had an 80s tribute gig, we auditioned bass players with one, and only one, song: “Footloose”. We asked them to play it note for note, in one pass, no excuses. There was only one player who came close to nailing it (I’d give him a 9 out of ten), and then he was our guy for years.

Does your band have any songs that are known to be a challenge on bass? “Footloose” suited us because it relies on finger style (not slap-pop), and has so many fills and runs that you really need to sit down and learn it over a few days, at least. The form is tricky, too, so you really have to *know* the structure — if you guess your way through you’ll mess up frequently and obviously.

If you’re not specific and careful about your audition expectations, you’re going to get a lot of amateur level shenanigans.

Quai34

Out of curiosity, how would you deal with someone who sends you videos and they are ACTUALLY AWESOME, but no gear?
I am sure that is a possibility as well.
Thanks exactly wha.I thought when I started my new Funk Dance band 2 years ago? I provided high end gear, both for guitarists and bassists telling them that the gear was not an issue because what I wanted was someone who really can play...All finally, they all prefered my gear and at least, it has helped me to judge some people and their level as I was doing audition with the gear I was offering, easier to compare at the end...I found a bassit who is a "gemme"!!!

Last edited:

Quai34

Back when I had an 80s tribute gig, we auditioned bass players with one, and only one, song: “Footloose”. We asked them to play it note for note, in one pass, no excuses. There was only one player who came close to nailing it (I’d give him a 9 out of ten), and then he was our guy for years.

Does your band have any songs that are known to be a challenge on bass? “Footloose” suited us because it relies on finger style (not slap-pop), and has so many fills and runs that you really need to sit down and learn it over a few days, at least. The form is tricky, too, so you really have to *know* the structure — if you guess your way through you’ll mess up frequently and obviously.

If you’re not specific and careful about your audition expectations, you’re going to get a lot of amateur level shenanigans.
I'm doing almost the same, thus I give them 3 songs, each with a very specific requirements and it worked, I was asking a video and when they were not up to the task, they even declined the video.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear you lost your bassist Andy. You liked him.

Good bassists are gems
Indeed, & yes, it's a shame he's going this year, but it's just one of those things, & 100% understandable + amicable.

Out of curiosity, how would you deal with someone who sends you videos and they are ACTUALLY AWESOME, but no gear?
Tell them to go buy some gear! TBH, as bass is always DI'd, it's only the guitar itself that's of interest, & an octaver for a couple of songs.

The gear someone uses can say quite a lot about their playing, without you even having to hear a note.
Absolutely, but I find featuring to gear you have as a primary pitch point above most others is a bit weird, & tells me something about their playing priorities.

Does your band have any songs that are known to be a challenge on bass?

As harmony BVs are an important requirement we need to maintain, song selection will likely skew in that direction. These two tracks will certainly feature, along with a couple more. Ability to sing whilst keeping a pulse is right up there - not as easy as you'd think in 2/4.

And definitely not easy whilst keeping a fast & driving 16th note pulse.

Al Strange

I’ve not been involved in auditioning for nearly 20 years, sounds like an alarming new phenomena...gear would at best appear at the bottom of a CV after playing experience etc... and we always got tapes/CD’s with the CV...🤔

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
After more than a decade of full time teaching in the middle of nowhere with no real music scene around I have no videos either.

Woolwich

Silver Member
To be fair a lot of ads I see say pro gear required maybe it can just be getting it out of the way.

To be contrary, Steve makes a valid point. In the real world of semi to bordering on fully pro, the fact that a vocalist has their "own PA" or potential band members have "own transport" is an important element. Not that it should be the deciding factor but those elements along with likeability would sway many people when making their decision all other things being equal, or even slightly less than equal. An example from my own experience is the guitarist who said he'd never be in another band if another member didn't have their own transport and he had to ferry them everywhere. And after several years of having to add an extra hour and extra carrying to gig night's I can see why. It's also strange but perhaps expected due to the self selection of forum posts how most of the comments so far seem to suggest that having great gear and being good are mutually exclusive. All of the guitarists and bassists I know and have been in bands with have had equipment of a quality far higher than is needed to play in pubs and have taken pride in keeping them maintained.

This sways from the original topic of leading with gear but Steve30907 boxed that off with his post.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Some bass players play direct through the PA. No bass amps, no speakers. Sometimes it is personality that matters more than gear anyway.

mikyok

Platinum Member
This where I feel sorry for good, solid, reliable working musicians. There are a lot of imposters who walk amongst us. We've just auditioned for a new front man and some of the responses we've had are laughable and have been added to the treasure trove of hilariously bad songs.

I have a love/hate relationship with bassists. I treasure the good ones as they're rarer than hens teeth and make my job a joy...............then there's rule #2 bassists.

If I'm replying to an add I just mention that I have gear and transport at the end. No need for specifics!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I was doing a drum audition recently, and brought along a two-piece kit. They were happy, but what really impressed them was that I brought brushes, rods, mallets, light sticks and heavy sticks so I could match their volume in the small rehearsal space. I got the gig, and have played 15 shows with them since January.