Gear affects feel

JJKK

I got to try a new snare and single pedal today and it was like playing a different kit. I had been playing with older yamaha double pedals and a looser snare, and the sound was so different it was a pleasure to play some blast beats and grooves.

The bounce and action in the pedal and snare allowed me to play much tighter and easier, and I swear I thought my skills had gone up tenfold since practicing last Friday.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I have a double pedal I use with one band and single I use with another. Just that small difference changes the way I play. The differences in bands add to that, but for some reason I am more aggresive with a double pedal.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I hear you on this. I played an old Pearl 902 double for years & then got on a buddy's DW5k double and it was like I was a new guy!

At times, new heads will give you the feel and sound you never knew you needed.
Good stuff for sure.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I got to try a new snare and single pedal today and it was like playing a different kit. I had been playing with older yamaha double pedals and a looser snare, and the sound was so different it was a pleasure to play some blast beats and grooves.

The bounce and action in the pedal and snare allowed me to play much tighter and easier, and I swear I thought my skills had gone up tenfold since practicing last Friday.
Maybe you just hit one of those cool moments when your skills jump a level.

Then again, I agree. Gear can affect the feel to an extent where you can do things differently and sometimes with more coordination.

alparrott

Platinum Member
When we get used to gear that may be presenting a handicap to our playing without knowing it, it feels like a quantum leap when we trade up to new gear - even if the new ger isn't necessarily top shelf.

I moved from an old used Pearl double pedal to a DW 3002 - not top-of-the-line at all, but worlds better than my old pedal. It feels great and plays instinctively, and that's all I really care about.

All three of my current snares are incredibly easy to play. I wring the perfect sound out of them with minimal effort.

It's a huge world of cool stuff out there. Try as much of it as you can. You never know what might be the perfect fit for you.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yup, I understand. I remember going from a set of Tama Rockstars that I played and traveled with for over 10 years to a Pork Pie USA custom. Holy cow, there's just no comparison between the two. Also when I went from my stock Tama Rockstar pedal to my first DW 5000, the difference was incredible.

jimzo

I feel that there are many good single pedals out on the market that offer excellent action that physically makes playing your pedal and kit, fun.
Type of beater or having the right beater adds to the enjoyment. All this makes it easier for any learning curve.
_____

Just my opinion; what I am starting to see are better designs in double pedals. The traditional way with one on the kick and the other on a shaft, will always be there and have its place. (Nothing comparing to the sonic'ness of two individual kicks.)
-That said, the newer split designs have finally caught my attention.
At first they seem to resemble a spaceship, cosmetically, pretty radical to the eye. Some cases impractical and offensive, ha!
The newer offerings look normal or traditional, and what I like most about them is the concept of them being split 50/50 on a single kick drum, *but it must sit- -directly in the middle, in front of the snare, and not off to the side as usual.
I remember seeing those comparisons of dbl pedals, putting focus on the fulcrum. The off pedal's beater would come to a stop before the kick pedal's beater would. The long shaft made a negative difference in friction with both pedals set up as close as possible in spring tension.
Overall, I feel that the newer 50/50 design offers equal weight & tension. The only *Con I can see is that it might not work for players, having the kick in the center will change how their MT's & FT's were laid out.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I dunno. Perhaps in the double pedal department that could happen because good engineering is good engineering, but for the rest, your technique is your technique. Piano players play different instruments everywhere they go because it isn’t practical to carry his own piano everywhere. I’ve played many a rented kit and never let it determine how good I was gonna sound. That’s all in me.