Gavin Harrison here!

Inspired here.

Hello again, Mr. Harrison. I totally understand that you don't have time to listen to my whole record, but may I be so rude to ask your attention just to one song, please? I am sorry for my persistence, but, man, you have changed my life - all my drumming is because of you, that's true.

The song's named "Emptiness Beyond The Horizon", located here: http://www.myspace.com/somnolentband/

You may not even answer, that's ok. Just wanted you to know that you inspire me so much. Hope to see you live one day - I never did because of the poor country I live in, where Porcupine Tree have never performed yet. I wish you to be always inspired in the things that you do, patience and calmness in your life and all the best, really.

Hi Gavin,
hope you dont get me wrong.
I was wondering what you think about Danny Carey's style of drumming.
Personally I think that he's one of the few drummers who REALLY has his own style next to his incredible technics.
Just curious what you think :)

Thanks,
Chris

Hi everybody....it does exist any transcription of the intro of slippin' away???I love this intro and I'd like to practice on it....somebody can help me!!!

thanks

I have a question regarding "No twilight within the courts of the sun". I counted it to 21/8, hope thats correct. During most of the song I find that following the bassline helps alot to keep time, but how do you keep time during the piano solo?

By the way, I was quite surprised to hear you play straight 16ths on the BD ;) Only two bars though, but they are long bars.

Hi Gavin!

I am currently studying a Diploma of Music at a music college down here in Australia and part of my drumming unit i am required to do a 20 minute solo performance - which is basically just entertaining a small crowd by playing a few songs and doing a drum solo.

I have a small favor to ask: is there any possibility i could please get a copy of 'The Sound of Muzak' without the drums so that i can play to it as a backing track? I am willing to pay Porcupine Tree or whoever has wrote the song for a copy and keep in mind it is only for education/recreational use - i will not resell or redistribute in any way/shape or form.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Thomas.

Hi Gavin
I have a small favor to ask: is there any possibility i could please get a copy of 'The Sound of Muzak' without the drums so that i can play to it as a backing track? I am willing to pay Porcupine Tree or whoever has wrote the song for a copy and keep in mind it is only for education/recreational use - i will not resell or redistribute in any way/shape or form.

There's a Playalong of Sound of Muzak in the german magazine "drum magazine". Without vocals...

They won't give the playalongs to you, many people asked this question to gavin.

Hi pixelbreaker

But some elements of percussion (mallet instruments) have never really appealed to me. I want to be a drum set player. Should I take the advice from others and learn to play a little of everything or get really good at one thing?

You'd be amazed how much good it does your drumming to play some other instruments. Same thing with learning to read - it will only enhance your abilities and understanding.

Hi Yuriy Kononov

I totally understand that you don't have time to listen to my whole record, but may I be so rude to ask your attention just to one song, please?

I'm sorry but I can't start commenting on recordings. I've been asked many times before and it would open up a bad scenario.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

I was wondering what you think about Danny Carey's style of drumming.

I love Dannys' style of drumming.

Hi Sjogras

I have a question regarding "No twilight within the courts of the sun". I counted it to 21/8, hope thats correct. During most of the song I find that following the bassline helps alot to keep time, but how do you keep time during the piano solo?

I counted like this: 2 bars of 4/4 + 1 quarter note and then 2 dotted 8th notes.

Hi Kalma

I got my Sq2 drumkit now and I have an 8*7 Racktom..
How are you able to mount the TomTom on the Tomholder?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6730474_n.jpg
I don't get the Tomarm into the bracket without unmounting the bracket...

I don't really understand your problem because I have the same size tom and (although it's a bit tricky) I get it on there without having to undo the bracket. Can you post a photo of just the mounting bar? Maybe it has a different profile to mine.

Hi uniin

I have a small favor to ask: is there any possibility i could please get a copy of 'The Sound of Muzak' without the drums so that i can play to it as a backing track?

Sorry but I can't give you the backing track. As Kalma mentioned there is a version out there from the German drum magazine called "Drumheads".

best of luck
Gavin

Hi gavin,

first of all I really like your style of drumming

secondly could possibly tell me how to play this crazy drum fill in "sound of muzak" at 4:04

Thanks for answering

Lukas

Hi gavin,

first of all I really like your style of drumming

secondly could possibly tell me how to play this crazy drum fill in "sound of muzak" at 4:04

Thanks for answering

Lukas

I believe you're referring to the one in Gavin's performance of The Sound of Muzak at the Modern Drummer Fest.
Terry Branam did a very detailed transcription of it a while ago, here it is:

muzakmdfill2.jpg

Terry

Fox.

Hi Gavin!!!

I was hearing and comparing the drums sound of two of your records:

The audio file PT Live in Atlanta and the dvd Anesthetise.

In Atlanta I felt the sound with more low frequencies, and the bass drum and floor toms with a great "thump".

1) Is this because some difference in record (mics, room, effects...), or because the drums (USA vintage SQ2 kit in Atlanta and SQ2 Euro kit in anesthetise), or both?

2) I want order a SQ2 drumset but is difficult choose the right shell configuration.
What is your prefered setup, if you have a preffered, the vintage or the hybrid kit, and why?

Thanks Gavin,

Your are a great inspiration for me.

Marcos (from Brazil)

Tunning of His kit

hi everyone , i want to tune my kit like gavin's kit , and i want buy his drum heads.is there someone to help me ?

i cant tune my toms (10 12 14 16) without buzzing snare.

i want to not buzz snare when playing toms and bassdrum.please contact me if u know that.

Thnx

Re: Tunning of His kit

i want to tune my kit like gavin's kit?
you won't get your kit sounding like gavin's kit..
but well.. he uses the remo emperor vintage heads and an powerstroke 3 on the bassdrum. good luck!

i cant tune my toms (10 12 14 16) without buzzing snare.
try tuning your snare drum higher then your 10" tomtom.

Btw:
Gavin, I fixed the problem with mounting the 8" tom..
I don't know why, but now it worked... Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Hi GAVIN. Couple of questions really

1. Can you please tell me what sticks are you playing with when you're recording or just not playing live.

2. If I want to eliminate or reduce the snare buzzing, shall I just tune my snare drum higher than my highest-tuned tom?

3. Have you ever tried to put the batter head on the bottom side of tom and the resonant head on the top?

4. I have a terrible problem with my toms, I've been playing for half a year and I was never able to tune them nicely, they never sounded good. I'm trying to use the coated emperors with evans rings and I just can't get any good sound from it, I'm also doing the seating as well (with a hair dryer :D, as Bob Gatzen advises). How much does the sound depends on the shell build (lets say if have a low-end sonor set, the limited edition rock) ? Was using Bob Gatzen's method as he shows in his old video. What methods do you prefer? Do you show any of this in your latest DVD?

5. What have you heard of Lithuania? What do you think of this country? It would be great to see you here with porcupine tree sometime (although I've been to a wolverhampton gig in december 2009.

Many thanks, good luck

gavin's audio files.

how can i get gavin's audio files without drums sound ??

is it possible ??

Elyar Khosravi / Iran - tehran

Back