Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

since the Incident Tour you're using these Vic Firth Grip Drumsticks. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)
I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!?
So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

Kind Regards

Hey!
I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that in one pair of Gavin's sticks he got one normal rock stick and one with the signature. Me and a friend of mine was very lucky to each of us getting a broken stick before a concert. I got a normal one and he got one with a signature.

Hope this helps!

Hey!
I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that in one pair of Gavin's sticks he got one normal rock stick and one with the signature. Me and a friend of mine was very lucky to each of us getting a broken stick before a concert. I got a normal one and he got one with a signature.

Hope this helps!
Yes, that really helps - Thanks!!
So, that's also that what I thought about.... Can you maybe get a photo of your friends one with the Signature on it? I know that kind of normal "Rock" stick so if you can get a photo of the one with the signature I know both of them and you'll make me very happy! ;-)

Yes, that really helps - Thanks!!
So, that's also that what I thought about.... Can you maybe get a photo of your friends one with the Signature on it? I know that kind of normal "Rock" stick so if you can get a photo of the one with the signature I know both of them and you'll make me very happy! ;-)

I'm sorry my friend moved away this summer, but it's just like a normal rock stick only that the "American Classic Rock Vic Grip" logo is changed with Gavin's signature! :)

I'm sorry my friend moved away this summer, but it's just like a normal rock stick only that the "American Classic Rock Vic Grip" logo is changed with Gavin's signature! :)
Oh okay - no problem... Thanks anyway!!
Now I know what's going on with the two different looking Sticks! ;-)

HI again Gavin,

1. You said in this thread that you don't use cowbells because PT music doesn't request it. Actually i never heard u playing cowbells in any of the records i heard from you. What about O5Ric and "Circle"? It looks like a cowbell was asking you for being played finally :D . Just curiosity by the way :)

2. You said u use headphones when u practice at home, and you hear your drums processed with little eq, compression and reverb. Do you use hardware gear (and what models eventually) in those occasions or u use plugins?

Thx a lot

Hi Cuban

do you use any sound isolation screens in your home studio?
In some videos it looks like you have them in front of your kit, but not around it?

Yes I have three screens just around the front of the kit. It helps stop reflections from the huge glass doors that are a few feet in front of the drums. They are old AK sound barriers - a company that doesn't seem to exist anymore. You still sometimes see them in studios.

Looking forward to the Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins CD!

Me too.

Hi mpdrums

I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!? So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

they are all the same Vic Firth "Rock" model with the red 'Vic Grip'. Sometimes (as an endorser) when you ask for sticks - they send you some with your own signature on (just for fun). However - I am working on a design for a proper 'signature model' with the guys at Vic Firth.

Hi Kalma

couldn't you make a short video how you are going to tune a snare?
for example a 14*5?

I believe I did this on the B side of the Rhythmic Designs DVD. Also I do really like the advice that Bob Gatzen gives on tuning. You can find a lot of his stuff on YouTube and his DVDs.

Hi steste50

1. You said in this thread that you don't use cowbells because PT music doesn't request it. Actually i never heard u playing cowbells in any of the records i heard from you. What about O5Ric and "Circle"? It looks like a cowbell was asking you for being played finally :D . Just curiosity by the way :)

I'm still don't think cowbells are right for this music. Maybe one day they will.

2. You said u use headphones when u practice at home, and you hear your drums processed with little eq, compression and reverb. Do you use hardware gear (and what models eventually) in those occasions or u use plugins?

I'm hearing the EQ from the analog desk - and an old Yamaha reverb unit just for monitoring. It's hard to hear the effects from Logic because there's always a latency delay whilst you're actually playing - so therefore I never monitor the drums through the computer. Of course on playback I can use the plugins inside Logic.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,

Quick question on Beyond the A. The very first bar of that song you do a roll on the snare, followed by a roll on the bass drum. Are there the same number of notes in the snare roll as there are in the bass drum roll?

Also, do you play your ghost notes as a closed roll or an open roll? Or does it change depending on the music?

Thanks

Eric

sorry if someone has already asked..

Hi Gavin,

if I am not so "square" as i would like (carré, in french, maybe tight, i don't know :/ sorry),
may I hope to become it, quickly? or never?
Do you recommend to study exclusively with "clic" for that?
or no way?

thanks Gavin,
'best,
hi

Last edited:
Hi mpdrums

I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!? So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

they are all the same Vic Firth "Rock" model with the red 'Vic Grip'. Sometimes (as an endorser) when you ask for sticks - they send you some with your own signature on (just for fun). However - I am working on a design for a proper 'signature model' with the guys at Vic Firth.
Thanks Gavin! :)
I'm looking forward for these Sticks!! Hopefully they'll also be avaible in Stores to buy....

some small tempo errors, of course. I hear them while playing.
but, when I listening back, I notice that sometimes (no, often) I'm not in depths of time.
is "in depths of time" correct term? au fond du temps.

Back