Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin -

I had a question on your work with King Crimson. For a long time now I have been trying to figure out the sticking used for the snare roll that introduces the doulble drum jam 'B'Boom.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBqoYsVLqRo (the one starting at 5:15; I know this is Bruford playing it and not you but it sounds to my ears like you used the same sticking from the Chicago Crim concert download).

I know you don't have time to transcribe but do you remember the sticking used for that pattern?

Thanks...

Hi Kongo

Mr. Harrison, any plans on coming to NY in April 2010?

no plans at the moment.

Hi NeuroAxis

I had a question on your work with King Crimson. For a long time now I have been trying to figure out the sticking used for the snare roll that introduces the doulble drum jam 'B'Boom.'
I know you don't have time to transcribe but do you remember the sticking used for that pattern?

Here's the easiest way to think of it. First play the pattern (it's in 7/4) all as 16ths on the snare drum - making those accents that you can clearly hear on the example. Then every note that isn't an accent - play a double stroke. It's very simple - but quite hard at that speed.

cheers
Gavin

Are there any recording or videos available with you & King Crimson? I'd love to check that out. It's funny that I was rehearsing at Soundcheck in Nashville for some Neal Morse shows and the staff told us that you guys were in that same room rehearsing just days earlier.

Hi there Mr. Harrison is there any chance to see Porcupine Tree playing in Quebec city during the second north-american tour, since you attended Montreal at the first tour?

Thx again keep up the great playing and inspiration!

Hi Kongo,
further to my last message - we can now announce that PT will be playing NYC Radio City Music Hall 24th of September!!!

Hi BillBachman

Are there any recording or videos available with you & King Crimson? I'd love to check that out. It's funny that I was rehearsing at Soundcheck in Nashville for some Neal Morse shows and the staff told us that you guys were in that same room rehearsing just days earlier.

Yes there is a live show recording from Chicago http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=16&show=1301

Soundcheck is an amazing rehearsal place.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

is there any chance to see Porcupine Tree playing in Quebec city during the second north-american tour, since you attended Montreal at the first tour?

We're working on it. Can't promise anything but stay tuned.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin, we had a small outdoors gig yesterday, and even though I knew while we were playing that it wasn't going great, once I heard the recording, I just went almost suicidal at all the rhythmic mistakes I was making. I mean, my normal playing sounded awkward, and while I nailed some of the fills, I messed up a lot of the details and small variations. I am generally VERY picky with other people's tightness and my own, and can spot mistakes and inconsistencies quite easily, so I was surprised I didn't realise at how untight some of the stuff was coming out while playing, and only after listening to the recording. My question is, how is it possible that if I *know* how it is and can spot the mistake (the sound was OK, again, these were mostly rhythmic mistakes, the timing didn't sound clean), I get it wrong in the execution? And so often, I think there wasn't *one* song in which I could say: "Well, alright, this was flawless" (or even tight/relatively clean). I hope the long paragraph is not confusing and you understand what I'm trying to ask, because I think I've only heard you mess up once or twice in all the live footage I've seen of your playing, and it was *small*, so you clearly know how to get your stuff right live.
Thanks for taking the time to read and hope you have some advice.

All the best, Fox.

Hi Gavin, first off I have to tell you I'm a huge fan of PT and you drumming. It's all very inspiring stuff. My question relates to drumming. I had a lesson a while back when I was in a bit of a drumming slump or crossroads you could say. I felt I needed a bit of guidance as to which direction I should go to move forward as a musician. My teacher, a professional of almost 40 years, suggested I focus on finger control and technique along with advanced independence and jazz stuff. I'm having a bit of difficulty with these concepts and was wondering if you experienced this situation when you were younger and what may have helped you to get through it. Thanks

Hi Fox622003

Hey Gavin, we had a small outdoors gig yesterday, and even though I knew while we were playing that it wasn't going great, once I heard the recording, I just went almost suicidal at all the rhythmic mistakes I was making.

Yes I'm familiar with that feeling. I used to record EVERY gig I played (on a little Sony Walkman) and then spend the next day analyzing it. Same thing with practise sessions - It's a hard lesson but worth doing if you want to improve. It's important that you hear what you really sound like - as opposed to how you think you sound whilst you're playing. It's really hard to hear those errors whilst you're actually playing - you just need to listen in a different way.

Hi Adam8

I had a lesson a while back when I was in a bit of a drumming slump or crossroads you could say. I felt I needed a bit of guidance as to which direction I should go to move forward as a musician. My teacher, a professional of almost 40 years, suggested I focus on finger control and technique along with advanced independence and jazz stuff. I'm having a bit of difficulty with these concepts and was wondering if you experienced this situation when you were younger and what may have helped you to get through it.

My teachers would suggest all sorts of things that I should be doing - but I respected their wisdom and just got on with it. Actually I was happy to play and practise anything that was a challenge.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin.

While watching the interview at Drum Department posted on the PT MySpace page, I noticed again, how good your double bass playing is. It might be not the Panthera-like playing style (as we all know, actually), but it's as subtle as it is "fast" in its own right.

As you can tell by my nickname, I'm coming from the old prog-like era, and started serious listening with Pink Floyd (even I'm only 20...). So, when it comes to playing, if it's in a jazz cover band or my own band, I'm not a brilliant double bass player as well.

At what age did you develope most of your double bass-style? When did you first got a double bass pedal? And, finally - any tips? I remember, I've read somewhere, that you practice still a lot for your left foot.

Cheers.

Fabian

Hi there Gavin,

Please excuse me if you've already announced/been asked this, but are there plans to do any in-store appearances or clinics while on PT's tour of Australia next week? Either by yourself or with the rest of the band?

Best regards.

Hi Gavin,

I received your new dvd/book a few days ago.

Congratulations to you & Terry !

It’s really helpful to see you playing and explaining all these grooves. The “bonus” are great too. And so many transcriptions, it’s like heaven to me…!
So, thanks for doing this.

Sincerely,

Alex P.

Hi crimsonfloyd

At what age did you develope most of your double bass-style? When did you first got a double bass pedal? And, finally - any tips? I remember, I've read somewhere, that you practice still a lot for your left foot.

I'm still developing it now. I used to have two bass drums back in the early 1980's and then in 1984 I bought the first DW double pedal - so then I gave up with the two bass drums. I was always trying to get them to sound the same anyway (which they never did).
I tried practising along to records and seeing what I could think of to play on them. I never liked the continuous 16ths thing - so I was looking for broken up patterns based on 2,3,4 or 5 notes in a row. I always lead with my right foot - no matter where the pattern starts and always played singles. My goal has always been "control & accuracy" - I was never interested in going fast.

Hi massive prog fan

Please excuse me if you've already announced/been asked this, but are there plans to do any in-store appearances or clinics while on PT's tour of Australia next week? Either by yourself or with the rest of the band?

Not as far as I know at this moment.

Hi Alex P.

I received your new dvd/book a few days ago.
Congratulations to you & Terry !

many thanks - we worked really hard on it.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Hi Gavin!

I have a question about the pre-recorded audio you use in PT shows...
What is the system you use to trigger the audio and how is it organized? Do you have each individual audio track from the song playing or do you make a stereo track of everything you need? Do you have one huge session for the entire show or each song on the concert has a different Protools/Logic/whatever session?

If you could please describe how you guys do it in PT, I would love to know about it!

Cheers,
Heitor.

Hi Heitor

What is the system you use to trigger the audio and how is it organized? Do you have each individual audio track from the song playing or do you make a stereo track of everything you need? Do you have one huge session for the entire show or each song on the concert has a different Protools/Logic/whatever session?

We use Logic on a MacBook Pro. There is control over individual tracks - rather than a stereo mix. You can make a mix at home but find that it doesn't work well in a venue through a massive PA - so you need separate control. The whole show needs to be in one huge song because there isn't time to load new songs during the concert. Each song is just a block of audio - with a marker at the start of it. Then you just name each marker with the name of the song - and have the marker list open all the time - so that's how you can jump very quickly from song to song.

Hi ahector,

yes you're right - I meant singles. (I've corrected it now).

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,

Should I have received your new dvd by now if I pre ordered via Burning Shed ? Its been maybe 3 weeks since I placed the order.

Thanks and looking forward to learning something new.

Hello there,
Went to see PT inMadrid last month (because Stickmen were opening) and I had my socks blown off by YOU!!!
Dang you hit those babies really hard!
I was about 60 feet away from the stage and I could hear the direct sound when you hit the toms , not thru the PA...
I am a Stick /Bass player who has had a Yamaha edrumset for a couple of years now, so I know how difficult what you do really is.

My question is ..are you a Taurus? Just curious.

Thanks!
Al
(k'n k)

Back