Gavin Harrison here!

Hi gavin..

Do you still practice a lot or do you mainly perform and play gigs, and if you do, what are you practicing right now? I was just curious about how far you developed the the stuff in your books in the time they where publiced and now..

Thanks, Stijn

Has anyone heard whether Zildjian is going to market the "Crash bells" or "cup chimes" they have prototyped for Gavin? I've emailed them and they said maybe winter NAMM 2009? I really hope they do!

Hey there Gavin! Just wanted to say how much I love your drumming on steve's new album! Definetly the best drum sound I've ever heard!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Hi DTrocks

What is the latest news on your new album with 05ric? Looking forward to it really much!

We're kind of half way through recording it. I'm really happy with the way it's turning out.

Hi Stijnn1990

Do you still practice a lot or do you mainly perform and play gigs, and if you do, what are you practicing right now? I was just curious about how far you developed the the stuff in your books in the time they where publiced and now..

I practise coordination things - and timing things. In fact here's something I've been practising. It's based on something I saw Steve Gadd do. The goal is not to play it fast - but to play it as accurately as possible. No flams between the hands and feet - try to really line up the snare notes EXACTLY with your feet. It's quite hard.
I normally start with ex.1 and then once I've got that comfortable move onto ex.2 and then go back to ex.1 as my 'home base' in between trying out ex.2 ex.3 and ex.4

After you feel comfortable with it there's an alternative bass drum and hi hat foot part below - go back and play all the snare drum line again but with that alternate foot ostinato.

Gav Coordination EX .jpg

Then I improvise on the kit and try to create new rhythm ideas - and when I find something I like I try to record it - either in audio version or notation. Then I try to manipulate it with displacement and modulation to see if I can create more interesting variations of it.

cheers
Gavin

Hey! I'm from Spain, and I'm the organizer of "Sa Costa Barrakes" a festival we do in Catalonia. I want Porcupine Tree come to do a concert in this festival but I don't know who is your manager here.

Can you tell me about a website or a phone contact?

Thank you! and sorry for my poor English!!!!!

Hey Gavin,

recently I've bought few pro mics and entered the beautiful but also extraordinary world of audio drum recording. Well I have to admit it's tough, there are so many variables and I can safely say this will be a long journey (but hopefully a nice one too). :)

Well, I absolutely love your drum sound. And this is the standard I want to achieve someday. I'm very interested to hear how your drums sound before any EQ and effects are applied. Is it possible to hear some short sample of your recent clean mix (or link if it's already posted, I did search the topic but couldn't find any). Of course, if it's not too much trouble. ;)

Cheers, Miha

Last edited:
Hi gavin, how're you?
i have only a simple question, on the videos of your last performances at MD i saw that you haven't your classic 13" K hats, but they seems to be a 13 K Hybrid hats...i'm wrong?
and your left crash, seems to be a crash of doom....that's a particular choice for MD or that's your new cymbal setup?

cheeers from Italy and Drumsportal.com!

Hey man, I saw in your MD interview this month, that you use one of the Hammerax effects cymbals, I am considering buying a couple for my setup as I use a LOT of effects in the music I play and was curious if you can describe the sound of the one you use and possibly one that would compliment it?

Thanks

Gavin,

Brilliant article in this month's Modern Drummer. It's always a good read to find out how people come up with and execute ideas with the drums.

Also an equipment question - what kind of mics do you use on the toms? They had a small footprint and an interesting arm assembly!

Dominick

Hi miha

Well, I absolutely love your drum sound. And this is the standard I want to achieve someday. I'm very interested to hear how your drums sound before any EQ and effects are applied. Is it possible to hear some short sample of your recent clean mix (or link if it's already posted, I did search the topic but couldn't find any). Of course, if it's not too much trouble. ;)

I'm not at home at the moment so it's something I can't do.

Hi ItalianRicky

i have only a simple question, on the videos of your last performances at MD i saw that you haven't your classic 13" K hats, but they seems to be a 13 K Hybrid hats...i'm wrong? and your left crash, seems to be a crash of doom....that's a particular choice for MD or that's your new cymbal setup?

Yes they are just classic 13" K hi Hats - not hybrid. That crash was an 18" Crash Of Doom - I was using it in my King Crimson set up - and it seemed right for the MD Fest performance too.

Hi London

Two Questions:
What defines a good drummer? In your opinion

someone who has a nice groove. If they can play cool drum parts and fills - that's a bonus.

What do you think about this thread?
http://www.fiveeightforums.com/200-r...x.html?t=62397

I don't really think anything about it. It's a shame when people have to compare drummers - it happens all the time on YouTube. People always feel the need to keep imposing their list of favorite drummers on you. Music isn't a competition nor an Olympic event to me.

Hi Drumsword

Hey man, I saw in your MD interview this month, that you use one of the Hammerax effects cymbals, I am considering buying a couple for my setup as I use a LOT of effects in the music I play and was curious if you can describe the sound of the one you use and possibly one that would compliment it?

The guy from Hammerax lent myself and Pat Masteltto a few pieces to try in King Crimson. I just occasionally hit a very large gong type of piece.Sorry but I don't remember what it was called.

Hi Trip McNealy

Also an equipment question - what kind of mics do you use on the toms? They had a small footprint and an interesting arm assembly!

They are Beyer Opus 88 mics. Very nice in a live situation.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

First, thanks for keep answering our questions! You're an incredible drummer, with a sense of groove that's out of this world and a creativity without any stopping!

Since PTree announced the first gig supporting the new album, could you tell us how's it been your recordings for the new album, approaches, experimentations with grooves and sounds, anything new and cool you might wanna share with us, without spoiling too much?

And did you feel any difference working with Steven Wilson on Insurgentes compared working with him at the PTree environment? Specially since his songs on his solo album were much more about textures and moods, different than the more clear and obvious song structures on PTree.

Thanks once again for your music, a constant source of endless inspiration for me and a million other drummers here!

Heitor.

Hi Gavin, well done with your playing on Insurgentes.

Can you please give more insight on why you chose the Beyer Opus 88 mics on toms for playing live? I've been drumming for years now and have decided to finally take the plunge in buying professional mics, but I don't yet know the most about mic'ing equipment out there. Did you ever use the sennheiser 421's live, or are they really just mics for use in the studio?

Thanks,
Simon

Hi Heitor

Since PTree announced the first gig supporting the new album, could you tell us how's it been your recordings for the new album, approaches, experimentations with grooves and sounds, anything new and cool you might wanna share with us, without spoiling too much?

We are writing more songs at the moment. Can't really say more than that.

And did you feel any difference working with Steven Wilson on Insurgentes compared working with him at the PTree environment? Specially since his songs on his solo album were much more about textures and moods, different than the more clear and obvious song structures on PTree.

He had a pretty defined idea of what he wanted on his solo record - PT is more of an open platform for ideas.

Hi Pandrex

Can you please give more insight on why you chose the Beyer Opus 88 mics on toms for playing live? I've been drumming for years now and have decided to finally take the plunge in buying professional mics, but I don't yet know the most about mic'ing equipment out there. Did you ever use the sennheiser 421's live, or are they really just mics for use in the studio?

I love the 421 on the toms - it's my favorite - but it's not an easy mic to tour with because it's big and cumbersome (has a strange and delicate mounting arm) - and I've had problems with them breaking down. The Beyer Opus mics have a very small footprint and can happily sit there all night without moving. They can take the occasional hit from a wild drum stick too. I used them with King Crimson and enjoyed them. With PT our sound engineer likes the EV N/D468.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,

What is, in your opinion, the most effective strategy for developing good timing? Is playing a single drumbeat to a click for an hour straight a waste of time, i.e. could it be spent more effectively? What is the role of practising basic rudiments in developing good overall timing in drumset playing?

Hi Trip McNealy

They are Beyer Opus 88 mics. Very nice in a live situation.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks Gavin, I'll give them a researching... what is the rest of your typical KC setup along with the Opus 88 mics... snares, kick, overheads, etc.

Your time in answering our questions is always appreciated!

Hi Gavin

Are your new -and famous- 'crash bells' similar in sound to those old 8" EFX 1, that Zildjian had long time ago?. I think you had one in your 'Horizons' DVD.

Many thanks in advance for your time...

Gustavo

Last edited:
I have become a bit of a "horder" of those EFX 8" and 10" cymbals. They pop up on ebay pretty frequently. From what I've been told Zildjian isn't introducing any "crash bells" or "cup chimes" at January NAMM.

I'm treated like gold my Tama (Hoshino) I'm not a "BIG" name artist but I do a consistent amount of live and session work and have played on major label and major indie label releases, as well as broadway, film sountracks. This is enough for Tama to build unusual and cusotm drums for me. I explain this to Zildjian and say "I own over a hundred Zildjian cymbals, percussion, gongs, etc... I'm not asking for any free gear, just want a few "sound lab" crash bells, which i'll happily pay full retail for". they simply said no every time. I'm sure Sabian would make them, they are much more customer service oriented but for some reason i'm loyal to Z!

Back