Gavin Harrison here!

Dear Mr Garrison, this may be a little off topic but i am a drummer of 22 years and love playing but i also have the unfortunate affliction of being diagnosed with deppresion,addiction problems,a failed marriage, banktrupsy,losing my house,suicidal attempts,loss of interest in normal activities, insomnia, carpal tunnels,etc.......but when i listen to you play, all my problems are forgotten. As for Steven Wilson- i sometimes feel that he has been through similar experiences and somehow turned them into some sort of savior- like there is someone else who has experienced these things and turned them into music of inspiration. i guess i just wanted to thank you and Steven for this. FOABP basically saved my life....please continue to do what you do as i am grateful to be a fan of P. Tree.i m not looking for sympathy or a "things will be okay" response, but i would like to know if you ever have similar feelings and what you could suggest to reverse these unwanted drawbacks. i will continue to play even if i have to force myself(get this:force myself to do something i love...wtf?) please tell your band -THANK YOU, from a fan that s more than just a fan. ROCK ON AND LIVE TO PLAY BUT ALSO PLAY TO LIVE!. thanks for your time- ian

Hi xopethx

I have a question about your mic setup - do you ever find it necessary to mic your cup-chimes more closely? I know you're using some pretty high-end overheads, but i've tried some similar patterns to yours, and i'm having a hard time getting them to come through clearly, at a good volume.

I don't close mic the bells or have a problem with them in a mix. They tend to appear in the hi hat mic quite well as well as the overheads. I have discussed the idea of a close
mic with PT's sound engineer because they can struggle to come across in a live situation.

Hi facu

I want to come to your concert in october in the Sala Apolo (Barcelona), but in october I will haven't the age to enter in this place, (the minimum is 16 years old). What can I do?

I'm sorry but the venue are responsible for setting the minimum age - usually this is to do with selling alcohol and the laws surrounding it. Quite often the age limit is much higher (18 or 21) but we have no control over this matter.

Hi daniele

do you like more sm 57 or Audix i5 for snare's studio recording? whats differents have you found?

sonically I can't hear any difference. The only problem with the SM57 is that the top is loose and can sometimes rattle.

Hi reg

I am working with my son on proper drum technique grip and hitting the drums in the center of the skin, I did work with him on the coin taped to the center of the skin, now it is mostly grip that I am working with him on, keeping the thumb up and sitting up straight (posture), do you have any suggestions on this topic that may help me out?

All the things you are doing sound good - but sooner or later you need to find him a good drum teacher.

Hi crdirtdider856

i also have the unfortunate affliction of being diagnosed with deppresion,addiction problems,a failed marriage, banktrupsy,losing my house,suicidal attempts,loss of interest in normal activities, insomnia, carpal tunnels,etc.......but when i listen to you play, all my problems are forgotten. As for Steven Wilson- i sometimes feel that he has been through similar experiences and somehow turned them into some sort of savior- like there is someone else who has experienced these things and turned them into music of inspiration.

Sorry to hear of your problems - I know that neither myself or Steven have been through these things. Glad the music helps a bit.

Cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin!

Have you ever heard the band Tool, and if so, what are your thoughts about them, especially about Danny Carey's playing?

I found this youtube version of you playing Swerve (don't worry, I got the DVD's aswell) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNViiEpx8Y&feature=related, and I wonder if you can atleast try to explain how you do the "fill" from 1:26 till 1:30. It's so amazing, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance! / Emil

A couple of nice fills from the great Gavin Harrison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoG7p1ona6Y
GHarrisoneng.jpg

Gavin -

Nice work on the Ed Poole CD. Very funky stuff that sounds like it's a lot of fun to play. I especially like all the modulations you do in 'Smoulder.'

Hi PTEmil

Have you ever heard the band Tool, and if so, what are your thoughts about them, especially about Danny Carey's playing?

Yes I know Tool and I've met Danny a few times. I love them - great band and Danny is amazing. I really like the song "Schism" from Lateralus.

I found this youtube version of you playing Swerve (don't worry, I got the DVD's aswell) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNVi...eature=related, and I wonder if you can atleast try to explain how you do the "fill" from 1:26 till 1:30. It's so amazing, but I can't figure it out.

This has come up before - Terry Branam has already worked on this fill - check this out:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=406549&postcount=1972

Hi Korompay,
thanks for the transcription. It was one of 4 lessons that were filmed for Rhythm magazine cover CD. I didn't prepare anything as I thought we were going to film me playing 3 pieces of my record with 05Ric (which we did) but they never got released. Instead Rhythm wanted me to just make some lessons up on the spot...and that's why I appear to be stumbling through it.

Hi NeuroAxis,
yes I had a lot of fun working with Ed on that record. He's a real old friend of mine....and one hell of a great bass player.

cheers
Gavin

It was one of 4 lessons that were filmed for Rhythm magazine cover CD. I didn't prepare anything as I thought we were going to film me playing 3 pieces of my record with 05Ric (which we did) but they never got released. Instead Rhythm wanted me to just make some lessons up on the spot...and that's why I appear to be stumbling through it.

I've seen the YouTube lesson (from which those fills are transcribed, i believe), and i'm wondering if there's any possibility of getting ahold of those other lessons! I've checked Rhythm's website, as well as Youtube, but haven't seen anything. Love your playing, Gavin!
take care

*edit* - i'm listening to the Ed Poole samples right now...man..that's some GROOVE! Was that session stressful at all? I could see it being incredibly fun and easy...did you also record it at your home? From what i'm hearing, the drum mix sounds good (as good as Myspace can convey, at least), and I assume you did all the mixing as well? Do you have any intentions or varying ideas for a mix when you're beginning a project like this, or does it all kind fall into place towards the end of the session?

Last edited:
I really digg the drumming on the ed poole cd! FUNKY!

By the way, have you heard of Opeth? and what are your thoughts on them?

Cheers!

If he uses the Tom I think it's not as difficult.
You just have to setup the Tomshell nearly the snare.
I tried it that way and it went well :)

Yes, but when i do this it's going very slowly, and if i speed it up the tempo is gone.
So how do you suggest me to practice on this one?

Thanks, Etan.

Hey Gavin!

You said: Yes I know Tool and I've met Danny a few times. I love them - great band and Danny is amazing. I really like the song "Schism" from Lateralus.

Schism is truly amazing indeed, but I think I like Lateralus (the song) more, and The Grudge. By the way, have you ever heard of Morgan Ågren? A great drummer from my hometown.

Thanks for the transcription, although I can't read drum notes, I will try to figure it out..

Many thanks!! / Emil

Hi xopethx,

i'm listening to the Ed Poole samples right now...man..that's some GROOVE! Was that session stressful at all? I could see it being incredibly fun and easy...did you also record it at your home? From what i'm hearing, the drum mix sounds good (as good as Myspace can convey, at least), and I assume you did all the mixing as well? Do you have any intentions or varying ideas for a mix when you're beginning a project like this, or does it all kind fall into place towards the end of the session?,

There was no stress on that session - only fun. I recorded (and mixed) the drums at my home studio. Ed took a stereo mix of my drums on the day - and ended up using that mix on the finished record.

Hi DTrocks

By the way, have you heard of Opeth? and what are your thoughts on them?

I know Opeth - PT did a tour with them a few years back. Great guys and a great band.

Hi Kalma

How do you do the fast rimclick in this video
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/gavin...porcupine.html Did you use the Tom or just the one side of the snare?

I'm just rattling the stick between the snare and tom like a free roll - there's no tempo in it.

RED-DIAMOND - there's no technique for it - I just go as fast as I can to try to create a continuous roll.

Hi PTEmil,

By the way, have you ever heard of Morgan Ågren? A great drummer from my hometown.

Yes I'm friends with Morgan - I love his drumming.

cheers
Gavin

Hello, and at this point, good late evening from the east coast of the USA. I'm new here.

I'm lazy and really don't feel like reading all 71 pages (much respect for answering all 71 pages of questions, by the way) and I have a couple questions regarding drum sound:

1) What is the little white Sonor snare that I've seen you use in the Musikmesse videos as well as several of the samples of your DVDs? It appears to be a 5x12" with triple-flanged hoops, and I would really like to know what the wood is and shell construction as well as head selection and tuning. SM57s on top and bottom? It's just a fantastic sound.

2) Kick drum sound - your kick sound has been progressively punchier since In Absentia (sounded fantastic when I saw you guys in Raleigh, NC - thank you very much for coming, by the way) and I'm curious as to which mic(s) and any effects (sounds very uneffected) you used on Fear of a Blank Planet... I read on your site that you have a D6...

3) How do you like the EV mics on your toms compared to, say, Sennheiser MD421 IIs, any Shures or anything else you've tried?

Thank you very much for your time.

Hi Gavin,
What has been your to-date,the best moment on stage.
I know you have been asked this question many times,but please,can u squeeze in some time and make a trip to India,for a drum clinic,and some spicy indian food..hehe....

Hi dwsabianguy

1) What is the little white Sonor snare that I've seen you use in the Musikmesse videos - and I would really like to know what the wood is and shell construction as well as head selection and tuning. SM57s on top and bottom? It's just a fantastic sound.

It's a Sonor Designer 12x5 built in the 90's. 6 ply maple no internal support rings - so it's what they would now call "thin" shell (not vintage). It has a Remo Ambassador on the top and bottom and tends to sound good at any reasonable tuning. I have recorded it with Shure SM57's but more recently I'm using an Audix i5 on the top.

2) Kick drum sound - your kick sound has been progressively punchier since In Absentia and I'm curious as to which mic(s) and any effects (sounds very uneffected) you used on Fear of a Blank Planet... I read on your site that you have a D6...

I use an Audix D6 at the hole and a Shure SM91 inside resting on the pillow. There are no effects on it.

3) How do you like the EV mics on your toms compared to, say, Sennheiser MD421 IIs, any Shures or anything else you've tried?

The EV's are great and I still use them live. In the studio I found that the 421's were better on the lower 3 toms and about the same on the top two. I also like the Beyer Opus 88 in a live situation too.

Hi jdzzz

What has been your to-date,the best moment on stage.
I know you have been asked this question many times,but please,can u squeeze in some time and make a trip to India,for a drum clinic,and some spicy indian food

Probably the first show I did with Lewis Taylor. I guess he was the first artist that I worked with that I was a real fan of - before I got to play live with him. I had an extremely big smile on my face that night. I have no plans to come to India at the moment - but I do LOVE the food.

cheers
Gavin

Back