Gavin Harrison here!

I second that visit to Australia commented on above. It would be awesome to see you and PT down here, but for a lot of bands i can see why Australia is not an economically viable destination :(

Anyway, i have a quick question if you don't mind. I was wondering if you have a favourite style of music to play? I read that your dad was a jazz trumpeter (i hope that this is right), so i was wondering whether you still play alot of other styles of music outside of your current projects genre's (if you have time that is)? Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but i was wondering whether you are a fan of Porcupine Tree's music? I'm sure that you like your music (considering that you have such an input into it), but i was wondering whether you would still listen to PT if you didn't play with them. It may seem an odd question but i know some friends who play in bands in which they despise the music but like their own parts within the music... it's a strange situation i know :)
I don't mean any disrespect... i LOVE PT!!!

Any reply would be greatly aprreciated.

Regards,

-Luke

hello Mr Gavin

I am argentinian , I´m drummer
My name is Cristian

one question

what double pedals do you use ???

axis?
or pearl eliminator??

Hi Gavin,

What kind of microphone clamps do you use to mount your ND408's to your toms? I have not been able to get mine in the position that I see yours in the Arriving DVD.

Thank You for your time,
Joel

Hi Gavin, just curious...., since you seem to me, to be delving into a lot of poly-rhythmic layering, and exploring odd groupings signature -wise ( the 19/8 ..7, 7, 5 you did at musicmesse), and also kind of approaching rhythm in a very phrased manner,.... have you heard or been inspired by any of the Indian stuff.

The reason I ask, is because the principles and approach of Indian rhythm is exactly that.

thanks, and great playing!, as always.

Last edited:
Hi monkeyboy,

have you guys got Australia penciled in for a future tour with the the Tree?

not at the moment.

Hi dannypenalver,

What kind of exercises did you play to develop the speed and endurance for the PT songs and the DVD's? Do you use moeller or anything like it?

As I've said before - I really don't think I've got some great technique on the double bass drum pedals. There are plenty of drummers around who have - and I'm probably not the right person to give advice about it. I don't think I use a moeller technique with my feet - probably the thing that has got me the furthest is perseverance. I've been trying to play a double pedal since 1984 - am I'm still working on it. Accuracy is the "Holy Grail" for me - not speed.

Hi Ayl20,

I was wondering if you have a favourite style of music to play?

I don't really have a favorite style of music to play - I don't really think in 'genres'. For me, there's just 'good music' and 'bad music' - according to my personal taste. I try to play as much as I can in the 'good music' style.

Hi xamanex,

one question what double pedals do you use ???

At the moment I'm using Axis Longboards.

Hi Stanley,

What kind of microphone clamps do you use to mount your ND408's to your toms? I have not been able to get mine in the position that I see yours in the Arriving DVD.

On that DVD - the tom mics were mounted on clamps that gripped the suspension arms of the toms. So - not on the rims themselves - but the metal suspension arms that are just off the shell. I really don't like clamps on the rims of the drums because they effect the sound of the drum. Now I have those mics on short boom arms mounted off the drum rack.

Hi aydee,

have you heard or been inspired by any of the Indian stuff.

Yes to both of those. I used to be in a band with a brilliant Indian tabla player - and I learnt many things from him. I know about the way they count with syllables - and my method of counting odd rhythms and groupings is very similar.

cheers
Gavin

hey gavin! i'm looking forward to the upcoming porcupine tree show in orlando florida, oct. 4th. i see that park avenue cds (a local record store) has announced that porcupine tree will be doing an in-store show earlier in the evening. that's a really small venue, so i know you won't be bringing your kit there, but will you be there at all? i mean, do you generally show up for small acoustic performances like that? i hope so because i'd love to see you perform at close range on hand drums or whatever, and maybe get the chance to meet you before the big show later in the evening.

Hi Gavin,
I have made to construct my support for cup chime with Quick-release with spring this support is total in alluminium.

Can you say of what about of this? do you like it?
thanks of experiment and thanks a lot
Angelo

Hello Mr Harrison,

I was wondering, if you had time, whether you could explain the fill from 'Sounds of Muzak' to me... it's one of my favourite fills of yours and it is sooo tasteful. It is the one which links the vocal/acoustic guitar part to the final chorus/outro.

I have been learning the song and (to me at least) it all sounds pretty correct to the extent that my abilities will allow it be, but when i play that fill it just lacks the texture and feel that it should have and i think it may be that i'm not playing it in its enirety... like, for instance, i may be missing out a bass drum stroke when there should be one.

My main problem is that I can't work out which drums you are playing; that is, i'ts hard for me to hear the exact voicings of each note<< i hope this makes sense. Anyway, if you have already covered this then don't worry about replying because i'm slowly making my way through the whole thread. Also, if it's too much effort or time (believe me i will understand) then don't bother, but if you could it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Keep up the GREAT work.

Regards,

-Luke

((( If anyone else knows this fill then you could save Gavin some time if you wanted ; )

Sorry about all the deleted posts... i was having some computer problems, i don't know how it happened?!?!

((( If anyone else knows this fill then you could save Gavin some time if you wanted ; )

In the prog issue of Modern Drummer (Mike Portnoy cover) that just came out there is a full transcription of The Sound of Muzak if you want to check it out.

Hi dairyairman,

i see that park avenue cds (a local record store) has announced that porcupine tree will be doing an in-store show earlier in the evening. that's a really small venue, so i know you won't be bringing your kit there, but will you be there at all? i mean, do you generally show up for small acoustic performances like that? i

I doubt very much that I'll be there. Usually these small in-store things have no room for a full band setup - and so typically they tend to be Steve and Wes singing and playing acoustic guitars.

Hi angelo,
your cymbal rack looks very similar to mine - looks like you did a good job with it.

Hi Ayl20,

I was wondering, if you had time, whether you could explain the fill from 'Sounds of Muzak' to me

Hauk is correct - there's a transcription of the whole track in the new Modern Drummer. I've just checked it against the fill and I think there's probably two 32nd on the bass drum directly after the two 32nds on the tom....but it was a long time ago that I recorded it - and my playing on that track has slowly mutated over the years into something else. Anyway - I'm glad you like it.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
I was wondering if you (and Angelo, if he'd like) could explain the construction of the actual chime mount. I'm highly interested in making one myself.

Thanks so much. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of PT in Atlanta in October.

Clint

Hi gavin, this is my 1st post on this forum, and i'm glad to use it for write to you.
Probably i write some errors..my english is not good...:(

Since the first time i heard you in "la cura" of Franco Battiato, 34 years ago, i loved your drumming style.
From that moment, i've followed you and your musicianship with Porcupine Tree...
I've always played with a 8" 10" 12" 14" 16" 22"x18" and 2 snares set, and i gotta say that when i saw you with my same setup i was very glad.I was contaminated from you,overall by 2 things:
your tingle cups and the 14" oriental china that you use for example in "mother and child divided".
I've introduced it in my set and i gotta say that this add to my drumming a lot of ideas.
Now i wanna ask you some tips...

1- tuning drums.
I've found a great Bass drum sound with an Evans EQ4(similar to Power Stroke 3 remo).
But i got serius problems with the 12" tom and the 16".
I got a lot of sustain...too much sustain.
I'm using coated single ply heads...I need the warm sound of coated heads and a more hard sound on tom toms.do you suggest to use double ply heads?
Do you have some trick to tune the toms?resonant heads must have an particolar tuning?

2-snare drum.
Your sound on the snare is simply amazing.I've heard you at Drumsportal clinic in rieti(do you remember Yuri?) ans at boschello music store.Your designer 12" snare sound in a killer way!That time you've told me that you usually use emperor,pinstripe and emperor X on snares.But i saw that you have a heavy hit on the drums...i think that i have a little weak hit than you.I wanna a controlled sound on the snare...i've found a better head than ambassador in CS...emperor may be more versatile?the last problem is the ZZZZZ of my snare...what i can do for resolve this problem?

Thanks a lot and sorry if've stealed a lot of time to you.
i show you a photo of my set...i think that it seem familiar to you...:D
my.php

Thanks again Gavin, good luck!

Riccardo

Hi Clint Hopkins,

I was wondering if you (and Angelo, if he'd like) could explain the construction of the actual chime mount. I'm highly interested in making one myself.

I can't really explain how my one was made because a good friend of mine made it for me. I know Sabian used to make something similar to it.

Hi ItalianRicky,

Since the first time i heard you in "la cura" of Franco Battiato, 34 years ago

I don't think it was 34 years ago :) It was recorded in the late 1990's

But i got serius problems with the 12" tom and the 16".
I got a lot of sustain...too much sustain.
I'm using coated single ply heads...I need the warm sound of coated heads and a more hard sound on tom toms.do you suggest to use double ply heads?
Do you have some trick to tune the toms?resonant heads must have an particolar tuning?

Try making a thin "O" rings (about 1.5cms wide) and drop them inside those "ringing" drums.The "O" ring should just rest on the bottom head inside. If it still rings too much - make a wider "O" ring - or a narrower one if the sustain is killed too much. I would also try changing to Remo coated Emperors on the top. I have no particular method - except experience and perseverance.

I wanna a controlled sound on the snare...i've found a better head than ambassador in CS...emperor may be more versatile?the last problem is the ZZZZZ of my snare...what i can do for resolve this problem?

Try all the heads - sometimes a particular drum works best with a particular head. Recently I'm using C.S in combination with a thin "O" ring. Is your snare drum buzzing by itself - or when you hit the toms? I use a Puresound 1412 but I take off the outside 4 snares (two from each side) so there's just 8 snares in the middle.
Regarding the buzz when you hit the toms: Turn off the snares and compare the pitch of the snare drum against the toms. If any of the tom pitches are close to the snare pitch - you'll get buzz when the snares are on. You have to change the pitch of either the tom(s) or the snare drum to avoid it (although it never goes away completely - but you can improve it a lot).

Hi Scone,

I was curious: why did you choose to play matched grip? Is it a comfort issue or do you not like the look of traditional grip or something?

My drum teacher - when I was a kid - wanted me to play matched grip. It just makes more sense to me - especially if you're playing loud. I do occasionally switch when I want that sensitive light articulate touch from the snare drum - but 99% of the time I play matched. I just can't get really loud rim shots from playing traditional grip.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Clint Hopkins,

Hi ItalianRicky,

Since the first time i heard you in "la cura" of Franco Battiato, 34 years ago

I don't think it was 34 years ago :) It was recorded in the late 1990's

sorry gavin,i wanna write "4" i've put a wrong "3" !!!I've heard this song 4 years ago,from the Lp "L'Imboscata"...the first time that i hear completely the song and i ask for the drummer that played it.Something changed for me that day. ;-)

thanks a lot for the advices. I'll try to change with emperors or similar double ply heads on my toms.
But do you think that i gotta use internal rings anyway?Or this is only if i keep my single ply coated heads?

On the snare i'll try to use a O-ring...(but over the batter head,not internal like toms,right?) with my cs and i will tell you if i have an improvement with the sound.
For the Buzz of the snare drum...i've checked today,the pitch was similar to my 10" tom, and i lower the snare pitch.But i have anyway a consistent buzz.I'm using a Pearl bronze snare,24 snares.My snare is very particular,is a 20 plies of maple and birch..do you have never worked with some similar? i'll take off some snares...and hope that thing can help me.
thanks a lot, Gavin... for me seems impossible to write you in this easy way...it's wonderful!!!

goodbye!
Riccardo.

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

I just got the DVD 'Rhythmic visions' and am waiting on 'Rhythmic horizons'.
First of all, i love the DVD, especially the alternate audio (click or music) and all of the new concepts (to me) which you introduce.

However, I'm having trouble applying the concept of displacement into a musical context without adding what i feel to be excessive tension. Would you (or anyone else) be able to tell me a part (or parts) of a PT song in which you use this technique so that i can see how you have played it in a musical context?

I have been playing around with some displacements but i have found that (to me) i cannot create a musical rhythm. So i was wondering, is there a way to compose a beat/rhythm which you know will sound musical when displaced?? So it would sort of be like working backwards from the displaced beat... I hope that this makes sense.

Regard,

Luke

Hi Gavin,
Clint
Hi Clint, how are you. My Sicilia friend realized for me the support but I can explain you .
this is realized in stainless steel and aluminum.Ihave the photo.

If you have other question feel free to ask me via pm, so we dont disturb Gavin forum space

Dear Gavin,

In one of your posts you state that the snare you like best is a 14x5 birch.
I was wondering what sonor snare you would recommend.
SONOR -51 14"X05" S CLASSIX SNARE
or
SONOR AS1405B Artist Snare 14x5 Steel Black

I know you use the black steel one in a lot of live situations
so it came as a surprise to read you like a birch snare the best.
I found out that Sonor hasn't got that many, so I was wondering
what snare, birch maybe more specificly, you like best.

with kind regards,
-Bram-

Hi ItalianRicky,

But do you think that i gotta use internal rings anyway?Or this is only if i keep my single ply coated heads?

Try the Coated Emperors first - and if there's still too much ring - then try the internal "O" rings. Every kit is different - and every room is different - experimentation is the only way.

On the snare i'll try to use a O-ring...(but over the batter head,not internal like toms,right?)

Yes on the batter head...although I've never tried an "O" ring inside the snare drum.

Hi Ayl20,

However, I'm having trouble applying the concept of displacement into a musical context without adding what i feel to be excessive tension. Would you (or anyone else) be able to tell me a part (or parts) of a PT song in which you use this technique so that i can see how you have played it in a musical context?

Rhythmic Illusions (displacements and modulations) are really study material - they're just ways of manipulating rhythm. I never really intended for any of those rhythms to be used in a very literal way like "try playing this example in the middle of YMCA and see what happens". Studying those concepts helped me in many ways. First it improved my inner sense of time and understanding of placement - secondly it opened up my rhythmic brain to a different way of thinking. I use modulations more than displacements in PT - but I quite often use displacements for 'fill' ideas. Sometimes I displace rhythms in a compositional way when I'm looking for a different groove for a song - the loop in "Sentimental" was made in that way. There's already a modulation illusion going on with the piano rhythm at the start. If you use displacement for more than a few seconds it becomes another rhythm - as is the case with "Sentimental". If you use it as an effect - as in the case 21 seconds into "Futile" - it just has a dramatic unsettling feeling.
In the chapter "History" on the Rhythmic Visions DVD you can see how I use the dramatic unsettling technique for a couple of seconds during fills.

Hi angelo,
looks like you've done a great job with the cymbal bar. It looks very similar to my one.

Hi Doodsjongen,

In one of your posts you state that the snare you like best is a 14x5 birch.
I was wondering what sonor snare you would recommend.
SONOR -51 14"X05" S CLASSIX SNARE or SONOR AS1405B Artist Snare 14x5 Steel Black

I haven't played the S Classix or AS 1405B so I don't know what they are like. The Black Steel is very good indeed. The Birch Sonor snare I use is an SQ2 6 ply birch with rounded bearing edges.

cheers
Gavin

Back