Gavin Harrison here!

Ok Thanx Master!!
I have found :) :)

really binding, but also really constructive!! i like so much it!! :) :)

Thanx again Masteer Gavin!!

Good Work!!

Gavin,

Just wanted to pay some respect to one of my favorite drummers. Love your work, especially with Porcupine Tree. The "Arriving Somewhere..." DVD is phenomenal. I'm also very impressed with your approach on "Displacement" of beats and your approach to drum fills, amazing stuff. I actually was drawn to the Drummerworld Forums through your website, what a great place this is.

One question I have for you if you get the chance to answer.... What company makes your Crotales Cymbals (Several small bell cymbals off to the left of your Hats) and in what Octaves do you have yours in ? They sound great! I'm looking into getting some from Sabian to add on to my kit for a dynamic effect. Thanks in advance.

Keep up the inspiring drumming. You are truly a genius behind the kit in my eyes.

All the best,

Ryan Van Poederooyen
- Fellow drummer from The Devin Townsend Band and Terror Syndrome

Hey Gavin,

I noticed on the Deadwing DTS, in the movie 'The making of.. ', when you play Mother and Child devided that there's a piece of black foam or something between the snare and the first tom.
Why is that ? Is it for mike leakage or to keep the snares from buzzing when playing the first tom?

Cheers, Dre

Hi RVP,

What company makes your Crotales Cymbals (Several small bell cymbals off to the left of your Hats) and in what Octaves do you have yours in ?

I kind of made them myself - based on broken Zildjian crash cymbals. Discussion and method can be found around page 15 on this thread post No, 507. They have no particular pitch.

Hi Drizzle,

I noticed on the Deadwing DTS, in the movie 'The making of.. ', when you play Mother and Child divided that there's a piece of black foam or something between the snare and the first tom.

I was trying to cut down on the amount of spill coming from the hi hat into the snare drum mic (shure sm57). since I started with the Audix i5 mic on the snare the problem seems much less - so I don't use the foam anymore.

Hi angelo,

You used another drum kit this is"Arriving Somewhere" dvd kit.
this is your american drum kit?
Have you a photo of your new SONOR 14x5 SQ2 snare?

Yes that is the Blue DeLight kit that I use in the USA and on the DVD. My SQ2 is in those pictures too. I don't have any close up photos of it at the moment.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin
Hi RVP,

I was trying to cut down on the amount of spill coming from the hi hat into the snare drum mic (shure sm57). since I started with the Audix i5 mic on the snare the problem seems much less - so I don't use the foam anymore.

Know you which difference between “Shure sm57 "VS Audix i5?
I seen the characteristics Audix i5, perhaps is much more low,but really I do not know like sound. Can you say of what about of this?
I use Shure sm 57 top and bottom with "Royer at 84 shock mount" I seen this to use, Bruce Swedien recording session photo on Royer Lab site.
http://www.royerlabs.com/recording_tips/drs/BruceOverheads3_XLG.html
This is Jennifer Lopez session with Omar Hakim.
Very thanks for your time.
Angelo

This might shock all of you, but I have never heard of Mr. Harrison until a few months ago. I know, I know... sue me. All I can say is... WOW! This guy is incredible.

Thats it.

Hi Gavin
This is Bruce Swedien recording drum tecnique.
He is one between the greatest engineers of the sound. The Kick Drum cover is made of a furniture blanket with elastic on the circumference and a zippered opening for the mike.http://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...hi-hat-baffle-bass-drum-cover-close-photo.jpg
second photo is michael jackson Billy Jean recording session The Snare / Hat isolation baffle is made of - a layer of Plywood, a layer of Mu-Metal (similar to lead) and a layer of compressed wood....http://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...54409-hi-hat-baffle-drums-above-2jpg-copy.jpg
Can you say of what about of this? For me is a very interesting discussion
Thanks for your time you are incredible person
Angelo

Last edited:
Hi Gav
back on track after 3 months, (working , practicing etc.) congratulations about your new stuff, sounds great, keep it up!

Danny P

Hi angelo,

Know you which difference between “Shure sm57 "VS Audix i5?

I couldn't really hear any difference between the two mics - but I found I was getting some rattling from the top of the SM57 - and it appeared to me that I got less hi hat in the Audix.

second photo is michael jackson Billy Jean recording session

I don't think that is really a photo of the "Billie Jean" session - it seems that the hi hat cymbals are Zildjian ZXT Titanium - which were not available in 1982 track was recorded. (Or the Royer R122 mic). Interesting - but very ugly solution in any case.

Bruce Swedien certainly is one of the legends of studio engineering. I guess back then people were worried about separation and spill. I remember doing sessions where I just played hi hat - then overdubbed the bass drum - then overdubbed the snare drum. Not much fun - and generally didn't feel as good as if I had played everything together.

cheers
Gavin

HI Gavin,

second photo is michael jackson Billy Jean recording session

I don't think that is really a photo of the "Billie Jean" session - it seems that the hi hat cymbals are Zildjian ZXT Titanium - which were not available in 1982 track was recorded. (Or the Royer R122 mic). Interesting - but very ugly solution in any case.

Bruce Swedien certainly is one of the legends of studio engineering. I guess back then people were worried about separation and spill. I remember doing sessions where I just played hi hat - then overdubbed the bass drum - then overdubbed the snare drum. Not much fun - and generally didn't feel as good as if I had played everything together.

cheers
Gavin

I don't know if it is really “Billie Jean” photo session recording , I've read this in the "Gearslutz" forum. Post and the photo were sended from Bruce Swedien.For me is not a Zildjian ZXT Titanium for me is old Zildjian black cymbal with gold logo. You can read this:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/1432249-post40.html
I have another question. In your wokshop in italy you have a cushion for protected notebook of vibrations.Can you say me which model?

Thanks a lot, "You are always number one". Thanks for the trick and your experience
Angelo

Hi Gavin,

which are the pros and cons to record with mackie 24 8?
How you connect your studio equipment?

Which mics do you use for live gigs with porcupine tree? Which is the purpose of your digital mixer in live situations?

Thanks!

Hello Gavin

With your help on a few post back I asked how to play HALO, well I think I figured it out, and made a video of me playing it, it is obviously nowhere near as good as you, but I think I did alright, anyway if you could watch this and critique me I would really appreciate it.

Your drumming is a HUGE inspiration to me, I love your grooves and your style, and am trying to llearn as much as I can, I have both your DVDs, and am constantly watching them, I am just really impressed with your technique and how you express yourself in your playing.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17422874

Hello Mr Harrison,

First off... what a drummer you are. Maybe all of these flatteries become a bit mundayne after a while, but i hope that you realise how influential you are to so many people (as exhibited in this forum). Every time i listen to any of your playing (especially with PT) i feel like rushing to my throne. You are without doubt one of the most (if not the most) musical and creative drummers i have ever heard... though, unfortunately, i hadn't heard of you or PT until about 7 months ago.

Anyway, this may sound like a stupid question, but i was wondering if it was still possible to purchase your books and DVD. I followed liks from previous pages on this forum but i could not see the books nor the DVD available for purchase. Sorry if i have missed something or if this has been asked before (i searched through as many pages of this forum as i could since i first found it... which was only yesterday : (

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Luke

Sorry, just to clarify; to buy the books do i email the order to 'burningshed', as it says at the top of the page (http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/page/1/) and to buy your DVD's do i just go to a local drum shop or are they availalbe on the same site? I'm really sorry if this is obvious to everyone but me and i've just somehow missed them on the site lol.

Regards,

-Luke

Hi angelo,

In your wokshop in italy you have a cushion for protected notebook of vibrations.Can you say me which model?

It's just an inflatable cushion. I bought in Tokyo airport for about 3 Euros.

Hi ebbandflopsy,

which are the pros and cons to record with mackie 24 8?

inexpensive - sounds great. I can't see any cons with it.

How you connect your studio equipment?

Microphones are plugged into the Mackie 32:8 and then each channel has a direct out. These 'direct outs' are connected to the 16 channels of Apogee Rosetta 800's via a multi core cable and after the Apogees have turned the analogue signal into a digital one it gets passed via firewire to the computer.

Which mics do you use for live gigs with porcupine tree?

BD Shure SM91
SN top and bottom Shure SM57
HH and Overheads Neumann KM84
TOMS Electrovoice ND408

Which is the purpose of your digital mixer in live situations?

we use the Yamaha 02R96 for our monitor desk.

Hi ddrumbum,

With your help on a few post back I asked how to play HALO, well I think I figured it out, and made a video of me playing it, it is obviously nowhere near as good as you, but I think I did alright, anyway if you could watch this and critique me I would really appreciate it.

First of all - I know it's not as easy as it sounds - so well done for attempting it. I think you need to work on your accuracy with your bass drum (and your timing in general) - also I noticed that you hit the snare drum off centre. In the middle part (17/8) keep straight 8th notes on the hi hat and really accent the quarter notes. Apart from that - I can feel you're enjoying playing it - so keep working on it - things will get easier the more you focus on them.

Hi Ayl20

Sorry, just to clarify; to buy the books do i email the order to 'burningshed', as it says at the top of the page (http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/page/1/) and to buy your DVD's do i just go to a local drum shop or are they availalbe on the same site?

Yes you can buy both books from Burning Shed - you need to email them for those items. Then follow the link at

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/collection/23/

for the DVD Rhythmic Horizons. The first DVD is out of stock at the moment but plenty of other places have it.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gav,

How's it going? Just thought I'd ask a quick question - have you guys got Australia penciled in for a future tour with the the Tree? Was fortunate enough to catch you guys a few times when you played London in the last couple of years - great shows - Shepherd's Bush being my first was very memorable.

Love the chops and the groove - especially the grove - to die for - maybe I should rephrase and say dance too, but I can't, so I like to nod.

Take it easy and hopefully catch you on an upcoming Australian tour(maybe the guys at RR can get something sorted for oz).

cheers

Ant

Hi ddrumbum,

First of all - I know it's not as easy as it sounds - so well done for attempting it. I think you need to work on your accuracy with your bass drum (and your timing in general) - also I noticed that you hit the snare drum off centre. In the middle part (17/8) keep straight 8th notes on the hi hat and really accent the quarter notes. Apart from that - I can feel you're enjoying playing it - so keep working on it - things will get easier the more you focus on them.

cheers
Gavin

Thank I certainly do and certainly will, thanks again.

Hi Gavin.

Just to ask a couple of questions here..

I can see your double pedal bass playing is good, What kind of exercises did you play to develop the speed and endurance for the PT songs and the DVD's?

Do you use moeller or anything like it?

Cheers Danny.

Back