Gavin Harrison here!

Hi ChrisBassdrum

do you use the book "sticking patterns" from gary chaffee to build your fills and patterns?

I did study some of Gary Chaffee's pattern books - but I don't use them to build fills and patterns.Not deliberately anyway.

Hi figure_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Good View Post
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=866
Those wont work for me.

how do you mean? You couldn't see them - or you didn't like them?

Cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin,

I am not sure if this has been talked about, but I am trying to learn your song HALO, and in the middle you break into this very cool odd time groove, that I just can't figure out, what are you doing at that point?

This is such a cool song, and I have it all down except this odd time groove in the middle of the song, anyway any help would be much appreciated.

Hello Gavin,

I am not sure if this has been talked about, but I am trying to learn your song HALO, and in the middle you break into this very cool odd time groove, that I just can't figure out, what are you doing at that point?

This is such a cool song, and I have it all down except this odd time groove in the middle of the song, anyway any help would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping my counting skills are getting better and it alternates between 8/8 and 9/8. But I'm probably wrong!

Hi ddrumbum,

this discussion did come up a little while ago - so here it is again -

It's basically a compound time signature of 17/8 (5/8 + 5/8 + 7/8) and over the top of that I play quarter note accents on the hi hat.

K = kick drum
S = Snare drum
- = rest

this is the pattern that the kick and snare play

K K - S - K K - S - K K - K - S -

There's a whole section about this (and similar rhythmic composition) on my new DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,how are you?
know you the book "Advanced techniques for the modern drummer" by Jim Chapin? Can you say of what about of this?
have you used this for your jazz independance?. I want to study jazz independance for play this. I have this books: "4 way coordination", "New bread", "Patterns" (Gary Chaffee) and "Drum set warm ups" (Rod Morgenstein).
Thanks a lot(many many) you help me a lot with your advise.
Angelo

Last edited:
Hi ddrumbum,

this discussion did come up a little while ago - so here it is again -

It's basically a compound time signature of 17/8 (5/8 + 5/8 + 7/8) and over the top of that I play quarter note accents on the hi hat.

K = kick drum
S = Snare drum
- = rest

this is the pattern that the kick and snare play

K K - S - K K - S - K K - K - S -

There's a whole section about this (and similar rhythmic composition) on my new DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks Gavin,

Sorry for having to explain this twice, I do appreciate your time.

That helps so much, I know I can get it now, you are an incredible drummer, your grooves are just no unique and cool, anyway thanks again for your time.

BTW I am going to buy your new DVD, I already have your first one.

Last edited:
I, of course, meant that the pictures wont upload, it is just small red x'es, I love all your kits, so no worries about that!

Oh, and one more thing, I guess I could've asked anyone, but I would love an explanation from you, because I find this a lot in your drumming: What would you say the difference is between "playing over the bar" and a polorythm? Like in the Fear of a Blank Planet song, after the guitar (wich my friends and I debated wheter was 3/4 or 6/8, what would you say?) , when the drums kick in, yiu play a 4/4 groove over the guitar, and meet at every 12. Would you call this playing "over the bar" or a polorythm?
I am sorry to bother you with such a "generic" question. You beeing so actice here is just awesome. Keep up the good work(and drumming)!

Hi angelo,

know you the book "Advanced techniques for the modern drummer" by Jim Chapin? Can you say of what about of this? have you used this for your jazz independance?. I want to study jazz independance for play this. I have this books: "4 way coordination", "New bread", "Patterns" (Gary Chaffee) and "Drum set warm ups" (Rod Morgenstein).

I didn't study the Jim Chapin book...but I have heard that it's very good. I am familiar with "The New Breed" (Gary Chester) and "Patterns" (Gary Chaffee). The other books you mentioned - I don't know.

Hi figure_02

Like in the Fear of a Blank Planet song, after the guitar (wich my friends and I debated wheter was 3/4 or 6/8, what would you say?) , when the drums kick in, yiu play a 4/4 groove over the guitar, and meet at every 12. Would you call this playing "over the bar" or a polorythm?

That part of the song is in 6/4 - and I play a groove in 6/4 - that is to say that there's 3 snare drum backbeats per bar (on beats 2.4 & 6) - so I don't consider this playing over the bar.
Playing over the bar line doesn't necessarily indicate that it's a polyrhythm - you might play a fill and then not end it on the "1" of the next bar - but continue through to the "2" of the next bar (for instance).
There's a section about this on my first DVD Rhythmic Visions.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
You study with "New breed" (Gary Chester) how you have studied this?
I am studying this therefore: left hand hi hat, right hand remote hi hat i play this perfect unison.Left and right foot and plays melody?or other?
thanks a lot for your time
Angelo

Last edited:
Hello Gavin Harrison,

I first heard about you and Porcupine Tree last year via cross-talk from various other bands and musicians I'm interested in, such as Rush and King Crimson. I've been lurking around this forum for a month or so, just reading and soaking in what I can. I just wanted to say thank you for being such an inspiration! I really enjoy your drumming. You've gotten me interested in learning new things again after a hiatus of several years (other parts of life somehow got in the way). I've been playing along with "Anesthetize" for the past few months as a practice warm-up. Fun fun fun!

Again, thanks a bunch and keep up the excellent work!

Hello Gavin,
I recently was told about Porcupine Tree by a friend of mine and really enjoyed what I have heard. Your drumming style nails down what I want to come from my own playing, and I have been trying to write down some of the heavier parts of your drumming (currently anyway) to learn from them. I've been working on Anesthetize right around 6:18. This is what I have so far...

This is without the fill on the last quarternote. How does this compare to the recording?

Thanks again,
-Leper

Hey Gavin, I was just wondering...you seem to have everything down in the realm that is Percussion. What do you think is your biggest weakness on the drumset?

And what about in Percussion in general?

And then what is your biggest strength in both?

Hi Raygun,
thanks for the kind words.

Hi Leper,

I've been working on Anesthetize right around 6:18.

Your picture is too small to see. If you look back a couple of pages on this thread to post number 1407 you will see that fill written out.

Hi Massik Kretal,

What do you think is your biggest weakness on the drumset?
And what about in Percussion in general?
And then what is your biggest strength in both?

I don't really think in terms of weakness and strengths - so I can't think of a good answer to them. I'm not a percussionist in the traditional sense of the word - I don't really play congas, timbales, tablas, marimba etc...and don't really have a passion to become a great percussionist - there's plenty of them out there - and I really enjoy playing with them when the chance arises.
I think my new weakness is in answering your questions - sorry.

Hi angelo,
Mainly these books. I haven't really studied any others that I can remember so I don't have a comment to make about them.

Charlie Wilcoxen snare drum book
Fred Albright's "Contemporary Studies for Snare Drum"
Ted Reed's Syncopation
Gary Chester New Breed
David Garibaldi Future Sounds

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,

I very much appreciate your valuable time that you take out your schedule to educate here.
I actually have a question related to Musikmesse. What were the tunes you played to, and are they available for purchase (with your playing of course)?

~P

Hi Gavin
Great, I have all these books. I can run to study these.
Infinite thanks,"you are a incredible person".
Angelo

Hi Master Gavin!!

I write to you, today, for express my happiness for the PT's news!!
I know that they will come in Rome, 17 of november!!
Today afternoon i will go to buy the tickets!!
With my other friends!! For the moment we are ten people to come to the concert!!
We will be there, under stage!!!!! :)

i know, it's still soon!! but i am really excited!! and i wait with anxiety!! :) :)

I cannot wait to listen to play you!!

Master Gavin, a question.. Which time has "Mother and child divided" ??
to me they seem, 5/8 or 16.. also with one pause.. Convene to me, to ask you directly..
i would be surer.. :) :p

Thanx Master!! Good Work!!

Cheers

Fabio

Hi Paul Mansur,

I actually have a question related to Musikmesse. What were the tunes you played to, and are they available for purchase (with your playing of course)?

The 1st tune "Designer" and 3rd tune "Quite Firm" are from my first DVD Rhythmic Visions.
The 2nd tune "19 Days" is from my second DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

Hi Fabio,

Master Gavin, a question.. Which time has "Mother and child divided" ??
to me they seem, 5/8 or 16.. also with one pause.. Convene to me, to ask you directly..
i would be surer.. :) :p

have a look at post number 1194 around about page 35 on this thread.

cheers
Gavin

Back