Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Frostilicus,

No, I live in Lowestoft, Suffolk. But the Junction is such a great venue that it's well worth the journey. I know what you mean about the number of people though, there was barely enough arm space to applaud! Still, a strong indication that PT are getting the interest they deserve.

I probably risk looking like I'm not totally familiar with the full back catalogue of the band (because I'm not!), but would you - or anyone else on here - happen to know the name of the song that followed Blackest Eyes (and preceded Sever)? It was very mellow and I'm sure I've not heard it before.

Cheers,
Darren

Hi Frostilicus,

No, I live in Lowestoft, Suffolk. But the Junction is such a great venue that it's well worth the journey. I know what you mean about the number of people though, there was barely enough arm space to applaud! Still, a strong indication that PT are getting the interest they deserve.

I probably risk looking like I'm not totally familiar with the full back catalogue of the band (because I'm not!), but would you - or anyone else on here - happen to know the name of the song that followed Blackest Eyes (and preceded Sever)? It was very mellow and I'm sure I've not heard it before.

Cheers,
Darren

Um, can't remember the set order - I'm sure Gavin can help us out here! :D

I've registered here just to say thank you Gavin and the rest of the band for the awesome show in Bristol on Tuesday night. I was right at the front, unfortunately close to the lager fiends who shouted "You guys f*@+ing rock" between every song but had a perfect view of your playing. I have just started learning the drums but after seeing you, I feel like eating my vic firths!

Seeing you play was about as perfect an example as I could wish to see of someone using their kit as an instrument to fit in with the song and the band and not just to keep time. Everything about your playing was spot on, the sound of drums and cymbals, feel, groove, it was all there

My now long-suffering wife would like to complain about me brainwashing her with talk of Porcupine Tree this and Gavin Harrison that but I know how she feels as some of the new album tracks have been going around in my head since last week. I don't know if you may have read it, but there's an Arthur C Clarke short story "The Ultimate Melody" that sort of sums up my mind at the moment, melodies going around and around in there with no sign of letting up!

Thank you again, Gavin.

I wish you and the band every success in the future.

PS Sorry to sound such a sycophant!

Hi Frostilicus,

Cheers,
Darren

It was Half Light from the 'Lazarus' single (and Deadwing DVD-A)

Custom Cybals

Hey Gavin,

After reading for months I deceided to join this interesting discussion. I also would like to say that I really like F.O.A.B.P. and your drumsound is so great on this record. Was it your idea to put more of the room mics in the mix in songs like Anesthitize and Sleep Together and keep it more tight in the title track or was it Stevens idea? Anyhow, the album rocks and I'd only wish there was more after your final drumfill in Sleep Together.

But the reason I post is the following: At a gig last week finally another cymbal cracked round the edges (never thought I would say that, haha) so I deceided to give your custom cymbal cutting idea a try.

This is the result:

CustomCymbals1.jpg

CustomCymbals2.jpg

From left to right: 14" Sabian AAX Studio Crash, 14" Sabian AXX Mini Chinese, 16" Sabian AAX Studio Crash.

The sound of the 16" is not very good. It vibrates/swings to much so today I'm gonna do something about that.
The other two sound really great (although I haven't been able to play them with a drumkit/ regular cymbalset.)

I have to say that for me the trick of mounting the crash in a drill and rotatating it over a piece of sandpaper did not work, so I did it all by hand which took me quite a while.

Gavin, I really would like to thank you for giving us the idea/instructions. I'm really happy with the result and also having 3 extra cymbals for free.
I still have one question for you though. I read that you used a 16" Z crash, cut it down to 8" and then you did bend the edges?? How did you do that??

Cheers,
Marc

I´m a student from Spain and something particular on your sound made me focus on your Rhyhtmic lessons.

QUESTION nº1: I would like to buy Rythmic Visions DVD. The problem is that North American dvd´s can´t be played on European systems as they are from different areas.
Where can I buy a compatible version for Rythmic Visions? (which would correspond to area number 2)

I must apologise for my English as I´m just a beginner and of course I would like to say that I´m truly captivated by your sound and methodology.

QUESTION nº2: What´s the sequence of studying between books and dvd´s?
Would it be:
1.- R.Illusions 2.- R.Perspectives 3.-R.Visions 4.-R.Horizons
or
1.- R.Illusions 2.- R.Visions 3.-R.Perspectives 4.-R. Horizons ??????

Sorry if I´m asking something already posted but I couldn´t find it or maybe I missed it.
Thanks a lot!

Re: Custom Cybals

Hi Grandmaster Foefstreler,
I designed the drum sounds for each song - so it was my idea to use a very ambient rock sound in those pieces.
Probably your 16" that vibrates too much could be cut down more. Not every cymbal I've cut down has been fantastic - but worth trying as the cymbal was unplayable when it was broken anyway. The Z cymbal I cut just took on that 'bent upwards' shape as I worked on it.

Cheers
Gavin

Was it your idea to put more of the room mics in the mix in songs like Anesthitize and Sleep Together and keep it more tight in the title track or was it Stevens idea? Anyhow, the album rocks and I'd only wish there was more after your final drumfill in Sleep Together.

The sound of the 16" is not very good. It vibrates/swings to much so today I'm gonna do something about that.
I read that you used a 16" Z crash, cut it down to 8" and then you did bend the edges?? How did you do that??

Hi atman

QUESTION nº1: I would like to buy Rythmic Visions DVD. The problem is that North American dvd´s can´t be played on European systems as they are from different areas.
Where can I buy a compatible version for Rythmic Visions?

Don't worry the DVD will play in ALL players - it's region free.

QUESTION nº2: What´s the sequence of studying between books and dvd´s?
Would it be:
1.- R.Illusions 2.- R.Perspectives 3.-R.Visions 4.-R.Horizons
or
1.- R.Illusions 2.- R.Visions 3.-R.Perspectives 4.-R. Horizons

Both of these sequences would be fine. A lot of the lessons on "DVD Rhythmic Visions" are from the first book "Rhythmic Illusions". The main concepts are based in these 2 products - so it would be better to see these first.

Cheers
Gavin

Tour etc...

Hi Gavin,

Now that the UK leg of the PT tour is over how did it compare to previous UK tours?

On a technical note, I was reading through previous threads and (if I read it right??) you mentioned that you use two mics on the bass drum (one on a pillow insode the drum, and one just inside the soundhole). Your 'live' sound is awesome so it clearly works...how can advise our sound guy to set this up at the desk in order to trial it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Mix

Hello Gavin!

I only want to say that your playing is such a big inspiration for me! I love viewing your DVDs!

I'm a huge fan of your drumming since I heared you playing on "In Absentia".

I saw you a few years ago in Nuremberg with Porcupine Tree and it was just brilliant!
I hope you will come to the southern parts of Germany again, maybe in autumn?

Best wishes

Jazztree.O

p.s. Your drum sound is always excellent if it's now on records or live!

When you are not too busy you are invited to check my bands' page:

www.myspace.com/jazztreeo

Hi Gavin!

I just only wanted to thank your for that what you are doing. I love your drumming! Especially when you play with Porcupine Tree! :D

You have so much feeling and you groove a lot. I listen to Porcupine Tree every day and the drumming is absolutely awesome. The grooves, the fills... AWESOME! You play "Progressive Rock" in a absolutely new way!

BTW: I was that small guy which spoke with you at Musikmesse Frankfurt on Saturday in the Hall for Drums ;) (Before your gig on the Agora Stage). Thanks for having time and be so friendly! This was the highlight of the year i think! :)

One Question: What is your advice for drummers? What should they consider mostly?

Thanks for everything! =)

If you have time, please check my bands myspace

http://www.myspace.com/solusprog (I would be very happy if you would say something about our records)

Re: Tour etc...

Hi Mix,
although I use the two mic thing at home in the studio - for 'live' our sound engineer just uses the Shure SM91 inside the bass drum on a pillow. Glad you liked the live drum sound - I loved playing the new SQ2 kit.

Cheers
Gavin

On a technical note, I was reading through previous threads and (if I read it right??) you mentioned that you use two mics on the bass drum (one on a pillow insode the drum, and one just inside the soundhole). Your 'live' sound is awesome so it clearly works...how can advise our sound guy to set this up at the desk in order to trial it?

hi gavin.do you know if any drum teachers in the usa are skilled in your systems from your books,like dom famularo or tiger bill. i really want to get into your books and dvds but to be honest some of it is just over my head.
thanks.

Hey Gavin, I met you after the gig at the Carling Academy in Newcastle, I got you to sign one of my pads and I probably drooled over you ect. I was standing with John the guitarist.

Anyway, i'm not ashamed to say that your playing that night was so beautiful it made me cry. I was standing at the front cheering you on the whole night.

- Jezen Thomas

Hi Gavin,

Could you share some of your recording techniques with us. I just love your 'natural' open sound on the new album.

Just how you use compression, reverb etc.

Can't believe you use any gates, or maybe some long ones then

Do you add reverb on individual channels or on the end mix, or do you use room mics

Do you start with the overheads and then add snare, bass etc..

I know recording drums depends on the room, the drums and mics etc. But maybe you have some general tips and tricks.

Back