Gavin Harrison here!

At work today listened to the entire album versions of the truth it is excellent.

Dear Mr Harrison,

I need help trying to be creative with drum parts. Because it’s mostly the guitarist who writes the drum parts, and I add on if I wish. What can I do?

Dear Mr Harrison,

I need help trying to be creative with drum parts. Because it’s mostly the guitarist who writes the drum parts, and I add on if I wish. What can I do?
Some good advice here, too, if you haven't seen it yet:

Hi Gavin,

If it's not a secret, could you tell which songs /parts are on those 2 pages in the deluxe ed. book with blurry photos of your drum scores?
I guess it could be a fun quiz, too... (for others, I give up.)
Speaking of sheet music, is it still in the plans to publish some TPT transcriptions? Can't wait!
Thanks,
Dora

Hi CM2112

Sometimes when people write music and create their own drum parts they just can't hear it any other way. I guess it depends on the relationship you have with the writer and if they trust you to 'do your own thing'. I've been in plenty of frustrating situations where the writer or producer wants it one way and I can a hear it another way - or maybe I don't like their rhythmic idea and they don't like mine. I think I can come up with a lot of variations and possibilities but sometimes it just won't do and you need to play their part.

HI Dora

If it's not a secret, could you tell which songs /parts are on those 2 pages in the deluxe ed. book with blurry photos of your drum scores?
I guess it could be a fun quiz, too... (for others, I give up.) Speaking of sheet music, is it still in the plans to publish some TPT transcriptions? Can't wait!

OK the snippet of notation on page 7 is "Out Of Line" and the one on page 30 is "Our Mire". Both of them were just my working notes at the time of recording rather than note-for-note transcriptions. A book of proper transcriptions is something I've had discussions about - but there's nothing to report at the moment.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks, Gavin! I’ll go look for them in those songs. I love browsing that beautiful book while the album is on.

Also Gavin one more question, what are your thoughts on modern metal drummers like Tomas Haake and Matt Halpern?
and who would you prefer Bonham or Peart? if you don’t mind me asking.

Also Gavin one more question, what are your thoughts on modern metal drummers like Tomas Haake and Matt Halpern?
and who would you prefer Bonham or Peart? if you don’t mind me asking.

Both Tomas and Matt are excellent players. I'm less familiar with Matt's work than I am with Tomas.

I can't really comment about John Bonham or Neil Peart. They both played in very different bands. Neither of which I really listened to when I was growing up but they both suited their bands very well.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin!

Your drum kit sounds perfect for most of us. How do you tune your resonant drum head against the batter side? I see your toms have e-a-c-e-a tuning. But what about snare and bass drum? Are there some secrets to tuning them?
Thanks for your reply.

Hello Gavin!

Your drum kit sounds perfect for most of us. How do you tune your resonant drum head against the batter side? I see your toms have e-a-c-e-a tuning. But what about snare and bass drum? Are there some secrets to tuning them?
Thanks for your reply.

the last time I checked I was hearing them like this...(bottom head pitch is always higher than the top)
8" tom. Top head = E. Bottom head = G
10" tom. Top head = B. Bottom head = C#
12" tom. Top head = F#. Bottom head = A
15" tom. Top head = B. Bottom head = C#
18" tom. Top head = G. Bottom head = A

they may be a bit flat or sharp or have even moved as far as a semi-tone. It is a constantly moving thing as the drums get played and the heads get worn.

I don't tune the bass drum to a specific note - but just follow my ears until I think it sounds pretty good. It does have padding inside and so that negates the chance of really recognising a pitch from it. The snare drum tuning is always moving as I hit it pretty hard - and I tend to tune the top head to suit the song. The bottom head of the snare is on reasonably tight - but not at bursting point.

I don't use any gadgets or devices or even reference a piano (or something) when I'm tuning the drums. I guess I have just done it so many times there is a lot of instinct involved in the process. However the pitch of the drums is really only a part of the overall picture - that includes 'how' you hit them, and 'how' you balance them whilst you're playing. Then there's a whole load of other variables such as the room, the mics, the mic positions, Phase alignment, EQ, Reverb, Compression and having a really clear idea of what you are trying to achieve.

best of luck
Gavin

Last edited:
Hello Gavin, my name is Samuel and I'm from France.

I'm currently struggling to tune my drums : they are pearl master custom mmx : 10", 12", 13", 16", 22".

I was aiming for a sound similar to yours : The reso heads are all old but since they're reso I haven't changed them (it's a second hand drumset).
On top of toms I use remo vintage emperor coated, and on the kick I use a remo powerstroke 3, with the sonor beater and an evans kickpad to protect the head.

What happens when you go bigger in size of toms ? I have noticed that the bigger I go, the less I like to crank the head. My 10" and 12" are tuned to fingertight +1/2 turn and my 13" and 16" are just fingertight. Is it something you do ?

Do you tune all your reso heads the same ? Or does it depend of the tom ? I enjoy the sound of my 10" and 12" but I just can't get the same feel out of the 13" and 16"...

Do you still muffle your bass drum just with a heavy pillow ? If yes, is it touching both heads ? Or even leaning on the reso head ? Any advice on bass drum muffling ?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions ^^'
Thanks in advance !

*goes back to eating cheese on a baguette*

Hello Gavin, my name is Samuel and I'm from France.

I'm currently struggling to tune my drums : they are pearl master custom mmx : 10", 12", 13", 16", 22".

I was aiming for a sound similar to yours : The reso heads are all old but since they're reso I haven't changed them (it's a second hand drumset).
On top of toms I use remo vintage emperor coated, and on the kick I use a remo powerstroke 3, with the sonor beater and an evans kickpad to protect the head.

What happens when you go bigger in size of toms ? I have noticed that the bigger I go, the less I like to crank the head. My 10" and 12" are tuned to fingertight +1/2 turn and my 13" and 16" are just fingertight. Is it something you do ?

Do you tune all your reso heads the same ? Or does it depend of the tom ? I enjoy the sound of my 10" and 12" but I just can't get the same feel out of the 13" and 16"...

Do you still muffle your bass drum just with a heavy pillow ? If yes, is it touching both heads ? Or even leaning on the reso head ? Any advice on bass drum muffling ?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions ^^'
Thanks in advance !

*goes back to eating cheese on a baguette*

Hi Samuel

can you give me a bit more info? What heads are on the reso sides of the toms? What are the depths of the drums?
Personally, I don't tune by 'finger tight +' method. It's a bit too random for me.

Certainly I tune the reso heads differently between the toms.

Regarding muffling of the bass drum. For the past few years I have been using KickPro Pillow https://kickpropillow.com/ plus a small pillow that lays behind it. That is because I use internal bass drum mics and you need to eliminate the 'standing wave' "ping" sound that you can get from an empty drum when the mic is inside. The second pillow sometimes touches the front head - or I use a device (currently being developed for manufacturing) to keep the pillow away from the front head - if I want the front head to ring.

enjoy your baguette !!!

cheers
Gavin

Hi Samuel

can you give me a bit more info? What heads are on the reso sides of the toms? What are the depths of the drums?
Personally, I don't tune by 'finger tight +' method. It's a bit too random for me.

Certainly I tune the reso heads differently between the toms.

Regarding muffling of the bass drum. For the past few years I have been using KickPro Pillow https://kickpropillow.com/ plus a small pillow that lays behind it. That is because I use internal bass drum mics and you need to eliminate the 'standing wave' "ping" sound that you can get from an empty drum when the mic is inside. The second pillow sometimes touches the front head - or I use a device (currently being developed for manufacturing) to keep the pillow away from the front head - if I want the front head to ring.

enjoy your baguette !!!

cheers
Gavin
Hey Gavin !
I did some measurements :
Tom tom : 10"x8" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo clear ambassador)
Tom tom : 12"x9" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo clear ambassador)
Tom tom : 13"x10" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo clear ambassador)
Floor tom : 16"x14" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo Pinstripe clear)
Bass drum : 22"x18" (Top Remo Powerstroke 3 clear, Reso Remo Master head)
I plan on replacing the pinstripe with a clear ambassador, and to pierce the remo master head with a 5" hole.

I placed a heavy blanket inside the bass drum wich muffles it(it touches both heads). I'm getting close to you, but not quite there(I'm using white mist and sonor performance drum videos as my references). I don't know how to get closer.
It doesn't need more muffling clearly. How is your bass drum tuned ? I just did tuned it finger tight, do you actually crank it on the top or reso side ?

After cleaning the whole drumset, I put the heads back on and of course, it sounds terrible because every head is just put on finger tight.
For toms, do you tune the top head before putting the reso head on ? It would make a lot of sense, because I can't tune proprely the top one with the reso head on. I just tried and failed.

Thanks for yesterday, I couldn't answer quickly because I have no clue how to mesure depth in a drumset.

*stops eating baguette and cheese because of a diet, but clearly still loves them*

Attachments

• bass drum.jpg
    bass drum.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 24
Hey Gavin !
I did some measurements :
Tom tom : 10"x8" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo clear ambassador)
Tom tom : 12"x9" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo clear ambassador)
Tom tom : 13"x10" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo clear ambassador)
Floor tom : 16"x14" (Top Remo vintage coated, Reso Remo Pinstripe clear)
Bass drum : 22"x18" (Top Remo Powerstroke 3 clear, Reso Remo Master head)
I plan on replacing the pinstripe with a clear ambassador, and to pierce the remo master head with a 5" hole.

I placed a heavy blanket inside the bass drum wich muffles it(it touches both heads). I'm getting close to you, but not quite there(I'm using white mist and sonor performance drum videos as my references). I don't know how to get closer.
It doesn't need more muffling clearly. How is your bass drum tuned ? I just did tuned it finger tight, do you actually crank it on the top or reso side ?

After cleaning the whole drumset, I put the heads back on and of course, it sounds terrible because every head is just put on finger tight.
For toms, do you tune the top head before putting the reso head on ? It would make a lot of sense, because I can't tune proprely the top one with the reso head on. I just tried and failed.

Thanks for yesterday, I couldn't answer quickly because I have no clue how to mesure depth in a drumset.

*stops eating baguette and cheese because of a diet, but clearly still loves them*
Hi Samuel

it looks like you have sensible drum sizes and good head choice (apart from the Pinstripe on the reso side of the floor tom).
I always tune the reso head first. Also make sure that you have completely muted the opposite head by placing the drum on your lap so you can only hear the head you are working on.
As far as getting them close to the tuning I use - you could match the 10" and 12" and just adapt the others as they bigger.

here are clear recordings of my isolated heads

in these recordings the drums were resting on a large towel so that the head on the other side of drum is not heard. I play each side and reference a pitch - in case you have a piano or something close to hand. The pitches that drums make are not easy to hear because of all the complex overtones. At the end of each recording I hit the drum with a stick. The mic is a vocal mic (Shure SM58) and quite a distance from the head - so you can hear that the lower drums sound pretty thin because of that.

also here's a video I made a few years ago about the Sonor Protean snare drum - but it does show my method of tuning with two keys...

Bass drum tuning is not easy to recognise but I certainly have the batter head on a lot tighter than 'finger tight'.

best of luck !
Gavin

Last edited:
Hi Samuel

it looks like you have sensible drum sizes and good head choice (apart from the Pinstripe on the reso side of the floor tom).
I always tune the reso head first. Also make sure that you have completely muted the opposite head by placing the drum on your lap so you can only hear the head you are working on.
As far as getting them close to the tuning I use - you could match the 10" and 12" and just adapt the others as they bigger.

here are clear recordings of my isolated heads

in these recordings the drums were resting on a large towel so that the head on the other side of drum is not heard. I play each side and reference a pitch - in case you have a piano or something close to hand. The pitches that drums make are not easy to hear because of all the complex overtones. At the end of each recording I hit the drum with a stick. The mic is a vocal mic (Shure SM58) and quite a distance from the head - so you can hear that the lower drums sound pretty thin because of that.

also here's a video I made a few years ago about the Sonor Protean snare drum - but it does show my method of tuning with two keys...

Bass drum tuning is not easy to recognise but I certainly have the batter head on a lot tighter than 'finger tight'.

best of luck !
Gavin
Hey Gavin !
Thank a lot for the recordings, unfortunately, it says it is an empty playlist on the soudcloud, I don't know why. I asked some friends to test the link, and they have the same problem...

About the protean snare drum video -I forgot about the tuning part, my bad. Luckly for me, I have bought 2 singature drum keys a while ago, so I'll have no trouble trying to follow you instructions.
I'll test my bass drum tomorrow with a higher tuning. Do the soundcloud videos work for you ?
Thanks !

Back