Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Thanks again for your answer!

No, I´m not referring to the Moeller technique. Let me try to give an example:

If you for instance play a 16th note groove (one handed and continuous 16th) or a half time shuffle groove (4/4, BD on 1 and 3, SN on 2 and 4) - when do you lift your left arm (or wrist) up to play the backbeat?

Especially on grooves like this I wonder if it´s better to come up on the "&" or the "a" before the backbeat to make it feel best. I always struggle with that.

Do you think about stuff like this or do you just do it naturally?

Another question is: When preparing for a gig or session, do you ever slow down songs for practicing purposes?
(I do but I feel that it´s harder to get the right feeling of the song when it comes to playing it in its original tempo again.)

Thank you in advance.

Hi Gavin:
Given the oportunity, would you work along with Zildjian to make your own cymbal set? Like Akira Jimbo with the hybrid or Steve Gad with the Session..
If that happened, how would they be, sound , look?

Hey Gavin,

Just wondering when is the next time you're touring through Southern California with a band. Any plans for N America anytime soon? Thanks.

Hy Gavin,
first of all a big thank you for your support last year. You helped me a lot in configuring my dream SQ 2. Since one year I'm very happy with my new drum!
I would again need your advice:
I'm one of the lucky guys who own the Sonor 12' 5' 135 years anniversary special edition with your signature.

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=383878&stc=1&d=1280034737

I'm also interested in your 12' 5' Protean Snare. My question is: how big is the difference between these two snares?
(Don't worryI already own the 14' protean!)
Thank you for your time!
Flo

Hey Gavin,
You said to check out this forum for drum stuff related to you. Apologies if you have answered these questions, have looked and can't find.
1. Did you tune your kit to specific notes for the King Crimson shows, and if so were they tuned to the same notes as the other kits, or did you build a scale between the three kits?
2. I gather you tune reso head higher than batter, do you tune to an interval between top and bottom, to a precise difference?
3. The small drums you have to your left with Crimson, I gather are specially made for you by Sonor, are they 8" single headed? What depths are they, and are they tuned to intervals/notes?

Absolutely love the playing on KC live in Toronto, great interaction, was it all done to click live? Red with double bass drum beats sounds awesome. Great feel on Meltdown and the drum pieces sound amazing.

I meant to also ask
What mics did you use on your kit, on The KC tour last year, also will you be using the same this year? I am an engineer and drummer, so it us always interesting to compare sounds with different mics.
Thanks for the great music!

Hi Florsky

I'm also one of the 200 happy drummers who own a Sonor 135 years anniversary 12-5 snare drum with your signature on it. I was thinking about buying also your 12-5 protean snare. Are the two snares similar or is there a big difference?

I think there's quite a noticeable difference between those two 12" snare drums. I really like playing both anyway. I would say that the Protean is more aggressive and has more 'drum sound' due to the fact it has only 8 snare wires.

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Quick question. In the live performance of "Dislocated Day" from Octane Twisted (https://youtu.be/Dl5rv8LzEUk?t=2m23s), I have no idea how you're playing both the rims and the hihat pattern at 2:23. What is the sticking? It's such an intricate song. I love how you took an already great drum beat and made it your own.

As I haven't played that song - or even thought about in 6 years I can't remember exactly what I was doing - but I think it did involve playing open handed.

Also, I loved your Guitar Center duet with Simon Philips. Although labelled as one, it never felt like a "drum duel" to me, and I loved how both of you worked together instead of just showing off, like in most "drum duels". It was incredibly musical and inspiring. How often do you jam with drum friends like this? Is it helpful towards your playing?

Thanks - yes that came out really well - and musical too. Simon and I were on the same page about the approach to making that work as a duet - and not a competition.

By the way, due to the recent announcement of a new Dizrhythmia album, I just checked out the song "Standing In The Rain". Absolutely phenomenal, thanks so much for this great material. It's crazy that you were so young at this point. Great stuff. I'll definitely go and get the album while I wait for the new one. Will it be available on vinyl? :)

No plans to have it on vinyl at the moment.

Hi DunkirkDrums

I was wondering if as a musician of your caliber, do you still get star struck by other musicians? Also do you remember the first cymbal you ever owned?

Not really. I remember being very impressed when I met David Bowie, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush as I'm such a fan. First cymbal I ever got was a 12" Zyn (and I've still got it somewhere in the garage).

Hi Robert Schmidt

If you for instance play a 16th note groove (one handed and continuous 16th) or a half time shuffle groove (4/4, BD on 1 and 3, SN on 2 and 4) - when do you lift your left arm (or wrist) up to play the backbeat? Do you think about stuff like this or do you just do it naturally?

I have never thought about it. So it just happens naturally to me. I know when I want to hit the snare drum and my arm just goes there automatically.

Another question is: When preparing for a gig or session, do you ever slow down songs for practicing purposes?

No I just work on them at their original tempo.

Hi Midnite Zephyr

Just wondering when is the next time you're touring through Southern California with a band. Any plans for N America anytime soon? Thanks.

No plans at the moment - but there could always be a possibility that King Crimson could come back to the States next year.

Hi Mathman

1. Did you tune your kit to specific notes for the King Crimson shows, and if so were they tuned to the same notes as the other kits, or did you build a scale between the three kits?

No I don't tune my drums to specific notes - but the intervals between the toms tend to be almost always the same. If you search back through this thread you'll find posts about that as well as an audio sample of my current tuning.

2. I gather you tune reso head higher than batter, do you tune to an interval between top and bottom, to a precise difference?

Yes the reso head is a bit tighter but it's not an exact interval - I tend to follow my instincts.

3. The small drums you have to your left with Crimson, I gather are specially made for you by Sonor, are they 8" single headed? What depths are they, and are they tuned to intervals/notes?

Those drums are 8" and they are all double headed. The depths of the four that I use on the King Crimson show are 9", 13", 17", 21"

What mics did you use on your kit, on The KC tour last year, also will you be using the same this year? I am an engineer and drummer, so it us always interesting to compare sounds with different mics.

We're in rehearsals right now and still experimenting with mics. At the moment I have the AKG D12VR in the bass drum. Shure SM57 on the snare top and bottom, Shure Beta 98AMP on the first three rack toms and Sennheiser 421's on the floor toms.

cheers
Gavin

Dayum, 1 week waiting fo your response and you forgot to answer me.
Well, here's another question. Do you use the "Fat snare trick" , (the one that you put a head over the head of the snare), in studio or live?

Hi HenryColt

sorry I missed your question.

Given the oportunity, would you work along with Zildjian to make your own cymbal set? Like Akira Jimbo with the hybrid or Steve Gad with the Session..If that happened, how would they be, sound , look?

I'd be very happy to try to make a series of cymbals - but Zildjian have such an incredible diverse range of cymbals already available - I don't feel they have anything missing. Probably I'd work on some special effect cymbals - but I haven't given it that much thought.

Well, here's another question. Do you use the "Fat snare trick" , (the one that you put a head over the head of the snare), in studio or live?

I have tried that - but it seems to sound better acoustically than through the mic. When I recorded that method - it didn't come across very well.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Do you have phase issues with your overhead placement?
Standard ORTF placement usually have a distance about 17cm between each mics' capsules and yours seem to be a little more seperated.

Also, since a standard stereo bar is too short, what do you use to mount them instead of two seperate stands?

By the way, I really dig the last Pineapple Thief record. Nice big "roomy" drums!
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Will

Hi Gavin,

At 2:06 in Bonnie The Cat, there seems to be an effect that makes your drums sound tinny, mono, and "far away". I was just wondering what that effect is called. I also hear it on your drumming during the verse sections of Sentimental. When you know that audio tweak is going to be used, do u have to change how you play the part (i.e. louder, harder, softer?), or is simply a post-production effect added in at the last moment?

Thanks for your time :)

Hi willregnier

Do you have phase issues with your overhead placement?
Also, since a standard stereo bar is too short, what do you use to mount them instead of two seperate stands?

I don't appear to have phase issues with them. I use the Sound Radix Auto-Align plugin anyway. I have the overhead mics coming off a drum stand and two mic stand boom arms.
IMG_2154.JPG

By the way, I really dig the last Pineapple Thief record. Nice big "roomy" drums!

Thanks - that's what happens when you stay in control of your own sound and mix !

Hi euphoric_anomaly

At 2:06 in Bonnie The Cat, there seems to be an effect that makes your drums sound tinny, mono, and "far away". I was just wondering what that effect is called.

I don't think it's called anything. We just EQ'd the hell out of it and put some distortion and compression on it too.

I also hear it on your drumming during the verse sections of Sentimental. When you know that audio tweak is going to be used, do u have to change how you play the part (i.e. louder, harder, softer?), or is simply a post-production effect added in at the last moment?

No it was a post-production thing. The drumming is actually a loop from my demo.

For the readers of this thread - I recommend that you check out The Pineapple Thief record "Your Wilderness"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTh10MHMOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYFXw5I45A

and the new Dizrhythmia record
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMC3DtyzJOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2Jn7KIxN0

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin!

I got my CD of Dizrhythmia Too from Burningshed on Friday. Wonderful album, I've been enjoying it a lot. The album sampler you posted on Youtube was the first time I had heard about this collective. It has also made me curious about the first album that was released in 1988. Unfortunately, a physical copy of that one is hard to track down after 28 years. Are there any plans to "re-release" the first album at some point or make it available digitally?

Thanks!

Hi Gavin,
Just a couple of questions, I see from your new piccy of your rig for KC8 that you are using CS heads on the 4 long toms to your left, did you experiment with different heads for these drums, if so what was your reason for them?
Have a great tour, waiting on the arrival of the box set from the last tour.
Also have you ever used the Beatnik timing analyser? If so do you think it was helpful?
Cheers
M

Hi Gavin,

I really enjoyed "Your Wilderness" by The Pineapple Thief, and especially your playing on the record. Thank you for introducing this band to me.

I noticed in a previous comment you said you used "big room mics" to get a more ambient sound; can you go into a little more detail about how you achieved that, and did you have to do very much to the tracks beyond that to get that resonant, roomy sound? Were you placing the mics in your adjacent large room for that natural reverb?

I was also interested in an interview where Bruce Soord said that you helped finish up the track "Tear You Up" when he hit a creative wall close to the deadline. I was curious if in your many projects that has happened before, and to hear your thoughts about stepping into a more involved role at that stage of the creative process.

Again, wonderful job; this album is destined for many repeat listenings.

First,
like many others listening to Gavin Harrison (not only songs but also interviews) made me more passionate about music in general (for many reasons too long to write here, I wish to tell Gavin directly one day).

I really have two main questions:

1. What kinds of filler do you use in your bassdrum to keep the bassdrum head rigid. I think that using double pedal with one skin might cause choking at high speeds, isn't it?

2. I usually work on a lot of different things (so many to learn). During a week I might do exercise from stick control, alan dawson rudimental ritual, learn a song, or something else (currently I reading rhytmic illusions). As my schedule is pretty tight i don't have many time to study and neither a place of my own (every day is different), which strategy would be better? Would you suggest during a week to exercise mixing different stuff or to concentrate on one thing and then start another topic let s say after a week?
For example I have when things are good 2 hours each day. I would say 30 minutes for a particular topic would be nice, but I'd love to hear what you think about practice. I would also put apart time to work out new fills and stuff that I might use live.

Thanks again!
marco

Hey Gavin!

I just wanted to let you know that the new Dizrhythmia record is just phenomenal! I absolutely adore "Heal Me, I'm a Trustee". The tom flurries that match up with the guitar remind me of the beginning of "Walking on the Cracks" from the first album. Again, the guitar is just wonderful and your playing is out of this world. Your drum sound is just perfect. I also particularly love "Lament For Bobby". Beautiful. Apparently, Mr Barbieri plays on the record.. do you recall what songs?

Jakko's voice sounds great, and I'm extremely excited to get my hands on the new King Crimson box set (still in the mail!)

Thanks again for making such beautiful music and taking the time to answer all of our questions, even after all these years! It doesn't go unappreciated. :)

Cheers,
Quinn

Hi Maurish

I got my CD of Dizrhythmia Too from Burningshed on Friday. It has also made me curious about the first album that was released in 1988. Unfortunately, a physical copy of that one is hard to track down after 28 years. Are there any plans to "re-release" the first album at some point or make it available digitally?

we are working on re-releasing the first record.

Hi Mathman

Just a couple of questions, I see from your new piccy of your rig for KC8 that you are using CS heads on the 4 long toms to your left, did you experiment with different heads for these drums, if so what was your reason for them?

I started with clear Remo Ambassador but I was denting them too quickly - so I switched to the black dot C.S

Also have you ever used the Beatnik timing analyser? If so do you think it was helpful?

Yes I have had one for many years and found it very interesting and helpful.

Hi alparrott

I noticed in a previous comment you said you used "big room mics" to get a more ambient sound; can you go into a little more detail about how you achieved that, and did you have to do very much to the tracks beyond that to get that resonant, roomy sound? Were you placing the mics in your adjacent large room for that natural reverb?

I have a pair of AKG 414XLS in my large room that are in front of the control room. I play in the control room and have the large doors open to the "big room". Depending on the pattern switch setting on the mics I can make the room sound larger or 'tighter'. I re-align the tracks to take out the large delay - because they are about 8 metres away from my drumset.

I was also interested in an interview where Bruce Soord said that you helped finish up the track "Tear You Up" when he hit a creative wall close to the deadline. I was curious if in your many projects that has happened before, and to hear your thoughts about stepping into a more involved role at that stage of the creative process.

I'm always interested in getting creatively involved in any musical situation if I think I can make a meaningful contribution. I suggested some arrangement changes in a few places in "Tear You Up" as well as some others.

Hi willregnier

I've noticed in your latest videos that you are using the Grombal (http://www.thegrombal.com/gb_use.htm) on your crashes. What's your thought on them? And what do you use under the grombal (felt,washers, etc.)?

I was trying them - and I really like them in the studio as I can 'hot swap' my crashes quickly when I'm searching for the right cymbal sounds for a certain song. They also let the cymbal swing freely which helps save them getting cracked. The only thing that I imagine would be difficult on tour is that they won't stack easily in your cymbal case. Once you install them on a cymbal it's not easy to take them on and off. I don't use anything underneath them. They are resting on top of the plastic centre sleeve.

Hi marco_cs

1. What kinds of filler do you use in your bassdrum to keep the bassdrum head rigid. I think that using double pedal with one skin might cause choking at high speeds, isn't it?

I use a pillow made from heavy goose feather. In fact it was the heaviest one I could find. It doesn't keep the drum head rigid - but it helps to stop it moving too much for my way of playing the bass drum. "Choking at high speed?" I don't think I've been that fast !

2. I usually work on a lot of different things (so many to learn). During a week I might do exercise from stick control, alan dawson rudimental ritual, learn a song, or something else (currently I reading rhytmic illusions). As my schedule is pretty tight i don't have many time to study and neither a place of my own (every day is different), which strategy would be better? Would you suggest during a week to exercise mixing different stuff or to concentrate on one thing and then start another topic let s say after a week? For example I have when things are good 2 hours each day. I would say 30 minutes for a particular topic would be nice, but I'd love to hear what you think about practice. I would also put apart time to work out new fills and stuff that I might use live.

I don't really have such limitations on practise periods - but I just work on whatever is interesting me at the time. I usually do several short bursts during the day about 20-30 minutes at a time.

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

I just wanted to let you know that the new Dizrhythmia record is just phenomenal! I absolutely adore "Heal Me, I'm a Trustee". The tom flurries that match up with the guitar remind me of the beginning of "Walking on the Cracks" from the first album. Again, the guitar is just wonderful and your playing is out of this world. Your drum sound is just perfect. I also particularly love "Lament For Bobby". Beautiful. Apparently, Mr Barbieri plays on the record.. do you recall what songs?

Thanks - glad you like it. Richard plays on "Chinese Doll", "Little Town", and "How Did I Let You Get So Old".

Cheers
Gavin

Back