Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Mustykat,

Is the 12x5 Designer Snare the one you use on your dvd, while playing along to "So What?" . How did you tune that snare and which heads?

Yes, that's the one. It has Remo Ambassadors on it and I'd say it's tuned fairly high.

Hi harry_GR

I tune it quite low and I am very satisfied till the time I try to play hard.
the bottom head is detuning because of the unbolted screws which one of them ends up falling of the drum.
Do you think I can have these two qualities of sound in just one snare?

If the bolts are falling out the bottom of the drum, probably you have the head tuned too low. Actually I tune my bottom snare heads quite tight. Tighter than the top head anyway. I think it's possible to get many different sounds out of one drum - the problem is changing the sounds between songs in a concert. I use two snare drums when I play with Porcupine Tree - a 14x5 and a 12x5 off to my left.

Hi tobi283,

how do you usually warm up before a gig? i mean, do you have special rudiments? and does it depend on which kind of music / which band you play with?

These days I warm up on a practice pad for about 15 minutes before the show. Normally I just play single and double stroke rolls. I never used to warm up - but if the first song in the show is long/hard/fast then my hands can get tired quite quickly.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I have a question about your process when creating/building drum parts.

While you're in the zone of creative exploration within a track, do you try everything that you think might stick and then subtract extraneous parts? Or do you start simple and then gradually add parts later being more sympathetic to the other instruments?

Lastly, what kit did you use to record the 05Ric project? really REALLY like your playing on UnSettled!

Thanks
Jeff

Hey Gavin, my apologies for so many inquiries about the snare drum. How would you compare the (more affordable) Delite Series 12 x 5s? Thanks again.

I am posing this question to everyone.

Does anyone have any insight to the opening tom groove of 'UnSettled' from Mr. Harrison's work with 05ric?

the only thing I feel sure of is the fact that the groove is shifting from 16th notes to 16th note triplets (or something metricly comprable). i have been trying to find a time signiture for about 5 minutes, but I really cant even find a good landmark in the groove to count from (let alone find one). I have been trying to use those two snare hits as a landmark, but even when I am not trying to count, it feels like the groove is shrinking until it reaches a point and then i begins again back at the beginning length.

I have tried finding a pattern in the tom voicing, and I think I hear one, but it is hard to really say for sure because the groove seems to shrink with each repitition. I am starting to think the groove as a whole is actually much longer than I have been thinking. AH! This is the first groove in a long time to stump me so completely.

I'm curious as to what the rest of you think is happening and, if possible, later compare it to what Mr. Harrison says it is (if he feels like revealing any of it. it is his after all.)

I'm going to be annoyed if it ends up being something extremely simple and that I have just been over analyzing it.

Hello to Gavin and all drummerworld forummemebers!!!!
THis is my first post here!!!
Gavin when i first time hear you drumming in PT i just fall in love of your style of play. FOr my you are one of the best drummr of the world and i love to watch you plaing.
I have got question!!! Meaby someone ask for this on forum but i cant found it.
What drumehads you use( i know that remo) on batter and resonat and how you tune them(high,mid,low). I just love sound of your drums!!!
Bye bye
Sorry for my english!!!

Hi JeffV71

I have a question about your process when creating/building drum parts.
While you're in the zone of creative exploration within a track, do you try everything that you think might stick and then subtract extraneous parts? Or do you start simple and then gradually add parts later being more sympathetic to the other instruments?

Lastly, what kit did you use to record the 05Ric project? really REALLY like your playing on UnSettled!

I try many different ideas - mostly just instinctive. I listen to the melody and groove of the other instruments and try to find something a little unusual to compliment them. I try to avoid (what I consider to be) clichés. It's a bit of a mystery where some ideas come from - and I like that. It can depend what kind of day I'm having.

The drums on my new project with 05Ric is my Sonor Designer (the same one I used on the last two PT albums).

cheers
Gavin

Hi Mustykat

How would you compare the (more affordable) Delite Series 12 x 5s? Thanks again.

I don't think I've ever played one.

Hi ZDrums24

Does anyone have any insight to the opening tom groove of 'UnSettled' from Mr. Harrison's work with 05ric?

After the little snare roll there's 8 bars of 4/4. The snare accents are different in each of the first 4 bars - then it's repeated.

Hi dejus

What drumehads you use( i know that remo) on batter and resonat and how you tune them(high,mid,low). I just love sound of your drums!!!

On the toms I use Remo Coated Emperors on the top and clear Ambassadors on the bottom. I guess they are tuned medium/low. There is some information about specific intervals earlier in this thread.

Cheers
Gavin

After the little snare roll there's 8 bars of 4/4. The snare accents are different in each of the first 4 bars - then it's repeated.

AW DANG! I was fooled. I'm going to try to go from there. This is really a cool groove. I haven't heard anything quite like it in drumset playing.

Hi Gavin,

Had a listen to the 05Ric track 'Unsettled'. Fantastic! Really enjoyed the track, primarily for the drumming (nice one Sir!) but some nice bass work too.

I recently became the proud owner of copies of your two DVD's. Again, many thanks for a great insight into your approach (there's so much 'food for thought' on there that there's a serious risk of obesity for the watcher). You might need to add a health warning to the cover :eek:) Any plan to release the music from the DVD's with the drum tracks removed so that we mere mortals can have an 'attempt' at them?

Hi Gavin,
Any plan to release the music from the DVD's with the drum tracks removed so that we mere mortals can have an 'attempt' at them?

or maybe a sort of multitracks to create a mix for yourself (if you want the bass higher and keys lower for example?). I know the chance is pretty small this is going to happen but would be nice for sure !

Can't wait till thursday to see you playing again... Setlist looks pretty good to me (though no arriving somewhere sadly which is a huge favourite here but Im happy with everything as long as you guys play ;)) so Im sure it will be a killer gig !

Though one small question, are photocameras allowed if I don't use the flash? I'd love to take some pictures from the master in action...

Hi figure_02,

The fill after the long drumless part of "Mother and Child Divided" sounds extremely cool, I guess it's some 2, 4, 6 stuff between your hands and feet.

you are correct.

Hi mixamuss

Any plan to release the music from the DVD's with the drum tracks removed?

no plans at the moment - sorry.

Hi SantiBanks,

Though one small question, are photocameras allowed if I don't use the flash? I'd love to take some pictures from the master in action...

sorry but no cameras allowed.

Cheers
Gavin

hi gavin,

after interlaken, thx for this great show in cologne, the e-werk was packed and we had a great time. you just played amazing.

thx again

Heya Gavin!

This is a slightly off topic question but I am deperate to know:
Are you and Porcupine Tree going to be supporting rush this year?

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

What's your favourite music style? To play and to listen to

I read somewhere that before your days with Iggy Pop you weren't into that kind of music, but you started to like it.

I know you also like Thomas Haake from Meshuggah, do you like the music or is more out of a drumming point of view. You also said you liked to work with Fredrik Thordendal, cause you really liked his solo album.

I know you probably like all styles of music from jazz to metal, but what kind of music comes closest to you, if you know what I mean.

See ya thursday in the Milkyway
Drizzle

Hi Gavin,

I just watched three of the videos of you @ Musikmesse on your Drummerworld profile-I love your drum fills and how you incorporate them into the songs. It's amazing to see you go from jazz to Porcupine Tree and how you still keep the drum style the same between both. Do you still use your steel sonor snare, the one you recorded Deadwing with?

Thanks,
Rob

Back