Gavin Harrison here!

tobi283

hi gavin!

i came across porcupine tree and you about one year ago but within this year PT made it to be my favourite band and you to be my favourite drummer. i really love your playing!

what i want to ask:
since you joined the band in 2002, PT's music became harder and heavier, especially deadwing and fear of a blank planet. so, would you say that this is YOUR influence on the band?

i tried to get your dvd "rhytmic horizons" but it seems they don't have it here in austria. anyway, will it be available on the concert in amsterdam?

and how come there's no concert in austria this year :)) ??

So have fun in germany, we'll see at melkweg in amsterdam!!

Tolo

hi gavin!

what i want to ask:
since you joined the band in 2002, PT's music became harder and heavier, especially deadwing and fear of a blank planet. so, would you say that this is YOUR influence on the band?
If you look at the MusikMesse '07 videos I wouldn't say that metal/hard-rock are his influences....:)

ZDrums24

what i want to ask:
I don't know all the details, but from what I've picked up around the web over the last few years, SW goes where he wants to go musically. to roughly quote him: 'if i get up tomorrow and decide the next album is going to be a jazz album, then it will be a jazz album' (this was more in reference to the tendency of each PT album to sound a little different than the ones that came before it, but i think it makes my point)

DrumSound

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the quick response, I don't think they will let us stay in the building after the show,
so I'll just hang around out front and hope you find a free minute for me.
Have a good time in Cologne and the rest of the tour,
regards,
Ty

tobi283

I don't know all the details, but from what I've picked up around the web over the last few years, SW goes where he wants to go musically. to roughly quote him: 'if i get up tomorrow and decide the next album is going to be a jazz album, then it will be a jazz album' (this was more in reference to the tendency of each PT album to sound a little different than the ones that came before it, but i think it makes my point)
yes i've also heard about that but i still think that the harder parts of PT's songs are very much affected by gavin's drumming :)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi tobi283,

what i want to ask:
i tried to get your dvd "rhytmic horizons" but it seems they don't have it here in austria. anyway, will it be available on the concert in amsterdam?

I don't think the heaviness has particularly been my influence on the band. I think the stranger rhythmic designs have. I didn't grow up on heavy music - so I probably don't play it in quite the same way as someone who has. I'm not aware of it getting progressively heavier - it felt quite heavy to me back when I first joined. Probably heavier than any gig I'd done before.

Yes - Rhythmic Horizons DVDs will be available at the European shows.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

KirkDS

Hi Gavin -

I'm guessing that you play a little harder live than in the studio, but have you ever had a situation where your monitor mix wasn't just right, so you possibly ended up playing louder than normal to compensate, therefore making it impossible to acurately play some of your fills, etc.?

I ask becuase I was on an R&B / funk gig this past weekend and it was all keys and bass in my monitor and I ended up playing louder and louder as the night went on and eventually all my fills became 8th notes with no subtleties at all. I've had this happen to me in a few live situations where I was just physically unable to play what I wanted to because of the volume level I was at. Just curious if you've ever encountered this.

Thanks... Like everyone else, I'm a huge fan.
Kirk

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi KirkDS,
yes I know exactly what you mean - it happens to me too. My other problem is that I start off playing too hard in the first song because of an adrenaline rush - and feel like I have to keep up that intensity for the rest of the songs otherwise they will feel weak in comparison.
I get pretty annoyed with myself when I do that because - as you mentioned - I start struggling to articulate what I want to play - and my hands hurt.

Cheers
Gavin

M

michael drums

Hey Gavin! How's the tour going? Hopefully it's REAL smooth!!

Anyway...I'm wondering who your influences were/are, if there are any?

It's interesting to see how many different styles you play, AND HOW WELL!!

I saw you @ the Rams' Head show in Baltimore last month and was just FLOORED how intricate your playing is and it got me wondering what other drummers you like!

Thanks Gavin...Play On! ;-)

XboxIsAGodToMe

Hey Gavin! I know you have explained this numerous times, and I'm sorry to ask again, but what snare are you using on the Fear of a Blank Planet title track? Also, what heads and snares are you using? I know I've seen you talk about using I think 6 or 8 strand wires, but not sure which. Thanks again in advance for answering a possibly annoying question that has been asked numerous times. Also, just wanted to mention I recently got my sister in law into PT, and she now wants to see you guys next time you come to Philly! Thanks again! -Josh

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi michael drums,

I'm wondering who your influences were/are, if there are any?

I grew up listening to Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Harvey Mason, Stewart Copeland, Billy Cobham, Steve Schaeffer, John Guerin, Simon Phillips.

Glad you enjoyed the Baltimore show.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

what snare are you using on the Fear of a Blank Planet title track? Also, what heads and snares are you using?

It was my 1982 Yamaha RC 9000 14x5 Birch (round bearing edges). It has a coated pinstripe on the top and a snare side ambassador. A Puresound snare (12 strands- cut down to 8 strands in the middle).

Cheers
Gavin

ZDrums24

Hi again, Gavin.

I keep hearing about how you cut down some snares to 8 strands. Just above you mentioned something like 'cut down to 8 strands in the middle.'

My question: where are you cutting them from exactly? Are you cutting out the middle 4 or 2 from each side?

I've seen some snares marketed that are actually two smaller sets of snares on either side of dead center. I was wondering if this is what you are doing.

Thanks for you time,
Austin

Mustykat

Hi Gavin. Is the 12x5 Designer Snare the one you use on your dvd, while playing along to "So What?" If not, which snare is that? I love that sound! It's very refreshing to hear fresh new interpretations of jazz and swing. How did you tune that snare and which heads? Thanks again.

harry_GR

Hi again Gavin,

I tried took off the strands as you said, leaving 8 in the middle, and I would say that
the sound is very good... (my snare drum is a 14x5 sonor s-class with 24-strand snare, which I didn't ruined)

But I have a little problem with the tuning of the snare side head...
I tune it quite low and I am very satisfied till the time I try to play hard.
the bottom head is detuning because of the unbolted screws which one of them ends up falling of the drum...

Generally, I want my sound to be rather low in pitch, a little bit jazz-blues...
Also I like the drum to sing a bit if it has no muffle rings and if it has rings, to be fat with attack and a funky accent...

Do you think I can have these two qualities of sound in just one snare?

It would be grateful if you could give a method for tuning from your aspect, or the tonal differences between top and bottom heads...

Thanks for your time... best wishes...

Harry

tobi283

hello again...

don't know if this already has been asked but... how do you usually warm up before a gig? i mean, do you have special rudiments? and does it depend on which kind of music / which band you play with?

i've once heard about ian paice saying that his warming up is to play single strokes on snare, just as loud, as fast and as long as he can :)

cheers!
tobi